• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best back lighting for floating wall

peteborota

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Really not sure which way to plump for light to the back of the floating wall. Not sure on the LED strips not around 6m and don't fancy my skills at soldering!!! Did it at school around 30 years ago, but not sure I'm up to it now:D

Is there rope light out there that can change colour and is RF controlled? don't want alot do I :rolleyes:

but would definately appreciate the feedback of those that have done this before.

cheers

Pete

w5moss

Standard Member
ultraleds.co.uk have 3 metre strips. Look at their waterproof section - 3 metre strips with solderless connections. I have some white (temporarily unavailable) waiting to be installed inside a handrail. It is brighter than I expected.

peteborota

Standard Member
Grangey,

You are a hero, thanks for posting but it came up blank.

I've got some photo's of what I've done so far. Basically the framework :eek:

Still watching your thread with interest.

Keep on going:clap:

wested

Standard Member
ultraleds.co.uk have 3 metre strips. Look at their waterproof section - 3 metre strips with solderless connections. I have some white (temporarily unavailable) waiting to be installed inside a handrail. It is brighter than I expected.
Hi w5moss,

I was also looking at installing a light rope on the underside of a stainless steel stair handrail.

Is this something purpose built that you've found or are you customising a standard rail? I only ask because I have a standard rail and was wondering what the best options would be to modify it.

Any insight would be welcome.

Thanks.

w5moss

Standard Member
Hi Wested - It is a piece of 2 x 2 oak that is custom routed to my drawing then put on top of the glass. One 18mm route (to take 15mm toughened glass), then a 10mm wide route that is 5mm deeper to sit the led strip in. All experimental, but I pick up the handrail tomorrow - 6 metres of it. The led strip is much slimmer than rope light, and brighter. 8mm wide and around 4mm thick. Also I think more directional - Rope lights I have seen are physically big and light all round the rope.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom