Best AVR & speakers for music & movies (~£1500 budget)

freeflyer

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an AV system and speakers for home cinema and listening to music.

I was looking at the SONOS 5.1 surround (Playbar, sub and 2 x Play:1s @ £1500) but then realised all the limitations regarding surround sound.

It seems that a better alternative (in terms of quality, functionality and cost) would be an AVR and separate speakers.

Richersounds recommended the Yamaha RXA660 AV receiver with DALI Zensor 1 front speakers, Dali subwoofer (E12F I think) and Dali Zensor centre speaker (Vokal I think). A total cost of £1626.

As I was about to spend £1500 on the SONOS 5.1 home theatre system, I am prepared to spend the same on an AVR and speakers.

But there are SO many options with AVRs and speakers/subs combinations I haven't got a clue what would be best.

I live in a 2 bedroom detached house and have a budget of around £1500, can anyone recommend a suitable system or advise on the Yamaha AVR and Dali speakers recommended by Richersounds ?

The system would be used for:
1 - Wireless Music: Using an iPhone 6 / Mac Book Pro / iPad etc and preferably all audio from these devices (i.e. not just iTunes) such as YouTube, Spotify etc

2 - Home cinema: 5.1, 7.1, DTS, Atmos

I am hoping to buy something over xmas or new year, depending on whether I am lucky enough to get a bonus!

Last edited:
I am looking for an AV system and speakers for home cinema and listening to music.

I was looking at the SONOS 5.1 surround (Playbar, sub and 2 x Play:1s @ £1500) but then realised all the limitations regarding surround sound.

It seems that a better alternative (in terms of quality, functionality and cost) would be an AVR and separate speakers.

Richersounds recommended the Yamaha RXA660 AV receiver with DALI Zensor 1 front speakers, Dali subwoofer (E12F I think) and Dali Zensor centre speaker (Vokal I think). A total cost of £1626.

As I was about to spend £1500 on the SONOS 5.1 home theatre system, I am prepared to spend the same on an AVR and speakers.

But there are SO many options with AVRs and speakers/subs combinations I haven't got a clue what would be best.

I live in a 2 bedroom detached house and have a budget of around £1500, can anyone recommend a suitable system or advise on the Yamaha AVR and Dali speakers recommended by Richersounds ?

The system would be used for:
1 - Wireless Music: Using an iPhone 6 / Mac Book Pro / iPad etc and preferably all audio from these devices (i.e. not just iTunes) such as YouTube, Spotify etc

2 - Home cinema: 5.1, 7.1, DTS, Atmos

I am hoping to buy something over xmas or new year, depending on whether I am lucky enough to get a bonus!
I have similar branded setup only slightly higher up. I have the Yamaha RXA3060 with the Zensor 7's, Vokal Centre, Zensor 1 Rears and a huge XTZ 1.12 Sub.

I love the receiver! A friend has a big denon receiver and imo of course, the yamaha is superior. Sound, user interface, flexibility, build are all better.

The dali speakers were actually never on my list. I was looking at monitor audio, tannoy, Kef etc and wasnt exactly blown away tbh. Once I tried the Dali's I knew it was the one. A couple months on and still amazed, perfect for movies and music alike.

I see your second point you've mentioned atmos, 7.1 & 5.1 but only mentioned 3 speakers and a sub. Is the budget for everything or only a 3.1 to begin with?

If so I would get the zensor 1 fronts (or 3) and vokal centre with the sub and the 660 receiver or 860. The prices your saying however do seem a bit steep, what's the breakdown?

Thanks HamidS92,

Good point I forgot to mention the rear speakers ! I can't remember what Richersounds recommended for the rears, I think they suggested the DALI Zensor 1 for the rears as well?

The price breakdown is as follows:

YAMAHA RXA660: £699
YAMAHA RXA660Black Atmos AV Receiver

DALI ZENSOR 1: £199

DALI ZENSOR 1Black Speakers Per Pair

DALI ZENSOR VOKAL: £229
DALI ZENSOR VOKALBlack Single Centre

DALI E12F SUBWOOFER: £499
DALI E12FBlack Subwoofer

I can't remember what Dali Subwoofer Richersounds recommended, it was either the E9F or E12F.

I also cant remember what rear speakers Richersounds recommended, it might have been Dali Zensor 1 for both front and rears ? An additional pair of Dali Zensor 1 for the rear would increase the total price to £1825, which is more than I wanted to spend.

Is Richersounds the best place to purchase from or are there cheaper suppliers around ? Or should I look at a slightly different speaker setup ?

In your situation I would personally get the Denon 2300 which is on sale everywhere at the moment. It has won many awards including 2016 award for best receiver up to £700 I believe. The higher end of the spectrum i.e RXA3060 vs 6300 I would personally choose Yamaha, but at your budget Yamaha is slightly overpriced imo. The Denon is currently £399 which is a steal for a new 2016 model of this specification. Link - DENON AVRX2300WBlack Atmos AV Receiver

With regards to the speakers for the budget I would go for the Dali Zensor 1 5.1 system at £979 again from RS, however this is with the smaller E9F subwoofer. Link - Dali ZENSOR 1 5.1 | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

You can always ask then to change it to the E12F depending on price or alternatively tell them to take it away from the price and you can then look into another subwoofer. Something like this - Platinum P12300-SB which will be better than the Dali and also cheaper.

This brings your total to £1378 which is below your budget and will give you another £122 for speaker cables, stands, interconnects etc.

The receiver will be putting out around 95w at 8ohms and around 125w at 6ohms. The Dali's are pretty easy to drive and are rated at 100w peak at 6ohms.

This is good and bad. The good side is you wont have to worry about distortion or pushing the receiver, especially if you like to listen loud. The bad is that if you turn it too loud you will damage your speakers. Simple way to counter this though is to set a limit on the receiver to the volume it can go and/or reduce the speaker levels after running Audessy. Again your ear will tell you when to turn it down, if you start to hear crackling etc from the speakers turn it down and make a note of it.

Make sure to set these to small and work from around 80hz upwards as not to push them too hard and send the majority of the work to the sub.

Also once you have the full package, dont be afraid to ask for some discount. For something around £1500 they can knock off upto £100 pounds if you can prove your a serious buyer. You don't know until you ask! So if it came to £1579 or similar including cables etc, as if they would round it back down to £1500. 9 times out of 10 they will.

Hope that is helpful mate, anything else just ask!

Last edited:
Thanks again for your advice HamidS92, its much appreciated :)

You suggested the Denon AVRX2300W, but in your previous post you said "A friend has a big denon receiver and imo of course, the yamaha is superior. Sound, user interface, flexibility, build are all better."

Richersounds also said that for music the Yamaha AVRs are the ones to go for, so I am wary and unsure about the Denon you suggested. How does the Denon compare to the Yamaha RXA660 ?

Richersounds pointed out that the Yamaha RXA660 is the entry level range of the more prestige Aventage range.

I would prefer to spend a bit extra if something is much better and more future proof so it will last longer. If necessary I could initially buy less speakers and gradually build the system up. As I have only been using speakers from a flatscreen TV then any setup would be a huge improvement, but I would like to have a high quality system and have all the features so that its future proof. £1500 is a lot of money, so I want to spend it wisely.

I noticed that your Yamaha RXA3060 is priced at £2000 in Richersounds, wow !!!!

I did ask Richersounds about a discount (I'm never afraid to ask, they can only say no, although I am useless at hagling and usually walk away with nothing!). Richersounds said they might be able to knock £100 off the package like you say.

So you think the Platinum P12300-SB will be much better than the Dali E12F sub ?

You suggested the Denon AVRX2300W, but in your previous post you said "A friend has a big denon receiver and imo of course, the yamaha is superior. Sound, user interface, flexibility, build are all better."

Richersounds also said that for music the Yamaha AVRs are the ones to go for, so I am wary and unsure about the Denon you suggested. How does the Denon compare to the Yamaha RXA660 ?

Richersounds pointed out that the Yamaha RXA660 is the entry level range of the more prestige Aventage range.

I would prefer to spend a bit extra if something is much better and more future proof so it will last longer. If necessary I could initially buy less speakers and gradually build the system up. As I have only been using speakers from a flatscreen TV then any setup would be a huge improvement, but I would like to have a high quality system and have all the features so that its future proof. £1500 is a lot of money, so I want to spend it wisely.

I did ask Richersounds about a discount (I'm never afraid to ask, they can only say no, although I am useless at hagling and usually walk away with nothing!). Richersounds said they might be able to knock £100 off the package like you say.

So you think the Platinum P12300-SB will be much better than the Dali E12F sub ?

What I meant was in the higher end of the spectrum i.e Yamaha RXA3060 vs Denon AVRX6300 the Yamaha would win for me for the reasons that I said before. This is because they are similarly priced but the Yamaha imo looks better, sounds better, has the better UI etc.

However the entry level i.e Yamaha RXA660 vs Denon Denon AVRX2300 the price difference is huge. The Denon is half price!! At this price point I would overlook some things such as the UI which has no baring on performance. The Denon is more powerful but with the same features of the Yamaha for half the price. Whats not to like?

Richer Sounds would say anything to get you to buy something, I have on numerous occasions corrected RS staff. They are good as they have the high street presence which makes it easy for returns or issues. For advice though..not so much.

Unless you want to start spending serious money an alternative option would be to buy this - Denon AVR-X3200W w/ Dali Zensor 3 (5.1)

So you have better front speakers and a better receiver. There is not much difference between the 2015 and 2016 models of Denon receivers. The 2015 models will have the same features via a firmware update which has been released. The 3200 is more powerful obviously than the 2300 but is 1 year older.

When I last spoke to Exceptional AV they were happy to upgrade the receiver to the latest model and keep the price the same. I.e £1499 but with the 3300 rather than the 3200. You also get free cables with this which again wont be the best, but will do the job until the day you want to upgrade the system.

Yes the RXA3060 is expensive but is an almighty beast! Budget went flying out the window when I heard it coupled to the Zensor 7's.

The E12F sub is not a bad sub. But at £499 it is steep! The Platinum from BK is more than £100 cheaper, can take more of a beating leaving you with the holy grail of headroom (has more power), and it will go alot in terms of frequency response than the Dali (20hz vs 28hz).

Do you mind me asking where you are located? I may be able to help more if your local with advice and contacts at RS.

Thanks HamidS92, so I assume the Denon AVRX3200/3300 is better than the Denon AVRX2300, as you stated I would have a better receiver ?

And the Dali Zensor 3s are better than the Dali Zensor 1s ? So would the fronts be the 3s and the rears be the 1s ?

I guess all the cables soon add up in cost so I need to keep that in mind. Do you have any tips for routing the cables around the room ? Do you just tuck them under the skirting board or carpet ? Or do you bury them in the walls ?

I live in Milton Keynes.

Thanks HamidS92, so I assume the Denon AVRX3200/3300 is better than the Denon AVRX2300, as you stated I would have a better receiver ?

And the Dali Zensor 3s are better than the Dali Zensor 1s ? So would the fronts be the 3s and the rears be the 1s ?

I guess all the cables soon add up in cost so I need to keep that in mind. Do you have any tips for routing the cables around the room ? Do you just tuck them under the skirting board or carpet ? Or do you bury them in the walls ?

I live in Milton Keynes.
Yes in order from lowest to highest it would be,
2200/2300
3200/3300
4200/4300
5200/5300
6200/6300
7200/7300 (not out yet)

The Zensor 3 would be fronts yes and Zensor 1 would be rear with the Vokal as a centre. This with the Platinum sub from EK and a denon 3200/3300 would be a very very good system for the money.

Cable wise you can even get the Ultra 100 from Cambridge Audio for £4.99 per metre and banana plugs for £4.99 a pair.

My wires are all under the carpet as I have solid walls and don't like it running along the boards.

Anything else ask away [emoji1]

Thanks so much for all your advice HamidS92 :)

Hopefully I will be able to get something over the xmas/new year break.

Do you think it would be worth waiting to see if there are any sales ?

There is no need to spend more than around £2 per metre for cable. Something like 2.5mm Van Damme or Fisual cable will be more than enough and you could spend less with a non branded oxygen free copper cable with no issues.
My understanding of the Denon range was that the 3200 was the same amp as the 2200 but that it has a few more added features. If you do not need the extra features then no sound quality gains from getting the 3200 over the 2200. I could be wrong so you may want to check on that.

There is no need to spend more than around £2 per metre for cable. Something like 2.5mm Van Damme or Fisual cable will be more than enough and you could spend less with a non branded oxygen free copper cable with no issues.
My understanding of the Denon range was that the 3200 was the same amp as the 2200 but that it has a few more added features. If you do not need the extra features then no sound quality gains from getting the 3200 over the 2200. I could be wrong so you may want to check on that.
Imo I disagree with the cables. I tried on my system the Van Damme Blue cables and also tried the CA Ultra 100. Also tried some more high end stuff such as Russ Andrews.

There was a noticeable difference between Van Damme and the Ultra 100. Again a noticeable difference between that and the Russ Andrews. However as the price goes up the quality doesn't at the same rate, diminishing returns. I settled on the Ultra 100 and have zero regrets. The price difference between this and the Van Damme is no where near that of the Russian Andrews. Anyways that's my 2p worth.

The 3200 has more power than the 2200 and obviously the 3300 has more than the 2300. The higher the initial number the more powerful.

Thanks so much for all your advice HamidS92 :)

Hopefully I will be able to get something over the xmas/new year break.

Do you think it would be worth waiting to see if there are any sales ?
No problem at all. If you need anything else pm me whenever.

You've obviously just missed the Black Friday deals although the 2300 at the moment is the cheapest it will go for a while yet. Your best best now will be Boxing Day. If you end up getting the zensor 3 front then I would look at the 3200/3300 range, if your getting zensor 1 fronts then stick with the 2200/2300 range.

Although what I aways said is get the best to fit in your budget. Reason being is you might one day want to get better fronts and move to a 7.1 setup and you may then need to buy a separate power amp. If there are good deals on the 3200/3300 then I'd stick with that personally. If you start going past that point over the £900/£1k mark stick with Yamaha.

A lot will disagree on the cable front since copper is copper but there you go. Also power is not the be all and end all on what makes a good AVR and also no guide to the sound quality.

Hi @freeflyer,

Just thought I would chime in since I have owned a lot of the Dali Zensor range and Denon / Yamaha receivers.

I agree with what has been said about the Denon X2300W for £399. I honestly don't think you can do much better than this. It's a great receiver and has all the functionality you are likely to need for the next few years. The setup procedure on it is the best I have seen on any brands receivers. Denon really walks you through everything so it is pretty hard to get it wrong. Great if you are new to the scene.

I have owned the Dali Zensor 7's, Zensor 3's & Zensor 1's as well as a couple of Dali E12F subwoofers.

My take on them would be that you should probably be looking at a couple of pairs of the Zesnor 1's and the Zensor Vokal to make up the 5.0 of a 5.1 package. I have used both the 3's and the 1's as surround speakers and honestly I can't really tell any real difference between the two. At least not on surround duties. So, in my opinion, the reasons to upgrade the fronts to 3's would be either:-

i/ You aren't planning on adding a subwoofer at this time in which case the Zesnor 3's will add a bit more bass when running as LARGE fronts.
ii/ You are planning on getting a subwoofer but only want to listen to music in 2.0 - not using the subwoofer. Quite a few people prefer this and so the 3's will again be utilised effectively.

If you are not planning on the above two then I think you can stick with the 1's.

Normal procedure is to have your subwoofer produce the bass until 80hz and then let your other speakers take over from then on. It's not an abrubt cut off - the subwoofer is rolled off above 80hz and the speakers rolled in but essentially your subwoofer is likely to be producing your bass for you till about 80hz or so. According to the Dali website the Zensor 1's have a frequency response down to 53hz and the Zensor 3's down to 50hz. Since the subwoofer should be still going strong well above both of these frequencies I don't believe you will hear a big difference between the two - which has been my experience from owning both.

As far as subwoofers go I wouldn't recommend the Dali subwoofers. They are actually pretty good compared to some of the other store brands but they are poor value compared to a subwoofer from BK Electronics, XTZ or SVS. If you are mostly music (which you appear to have listed first) then I would recommend a sealed subwoofer like the BK XXLS 400. Fast and tight for music but definitely able to give it some welly when watching a film. particularly if you are not in too large a room to begin with. If you want to really plumb the depths and getting that true home theatre experience then something like the BK Monolith or Monolith Plus will get your walls, floors and anything else you happen to have in the room shaking quite nicely. The XTZ 12.17 or the SVS PB2000 would be the nearest competitors but come in a bit pricier although with extra functionality that could be worth the extra.

Although I have been harping on about Dali I would definitely listen to a few other brands as well. I was going for a set of Monitor Audio speakers but got a demo of the Dali's at the same time and was smitten. However, you may very well prefer the Monitor Audio sound or possibly Q Acoustics....

I would definitely try to listen to a set of Monitor Audio Bronze, Q Acoustics 2020i and possibly some Kef Q series as well. But definitely buy the subwoofer separately if you can.

Good luck with your search :smashin:.

DrH

Thanks for your reply Dr.

Its nice to get some professional, detailed and useful advice from everyone who has replied :)

Regarding BK Electronics, do you know if they have a shop or whether a sub can be collected from them or are they mail order only ? I was just wondering what the lead time would be to get a sub from them ? Do they manufacture to order or have stock ?

The XXLS400 is around £439, the P12-300SB is around £380, the Monolith is around £450 and the Monolith plus is around £545.

The size of my living room is 15.44 square meters (4.218m x 3.66m).

One slight concern I have regarding movies is the audio format. I tend to watch downloaded films (via a HDD connected to my Samsung TV). Most of these downloaded films don't have surround encoded such as Dolby or DTS etc. (I think they just have stereo encoding). So to get the full benefit, I would have to download a surround encoded version which costs more and is a bigger file size.

Or I would have to get a DVD or Blu-ray movie and play it via my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray player...

Blu-ray Disc Player | Samsung C5500 - Blu-Ray DVD Players

But I do prefer the convenience of having films on the HDD.

Thanks for your reply Dr.

Its nice to get some professional, detailed and useful advice from everyone who has replied :)

Regarding BK Electronics, do you know if they have a shop or whether a sub can be collected from them or are they mail order only ? I was just wondering what the lead time would be to get a sub from them ? Do they manufacture to order or have stock ?

The XXLS400 is around £439, the P12-300SB is around £380, the Monolith is around £450 and the Monolith plus is around £545.

The size of my living room is 15.44 square meters (4.218m x 3.66m).

One slight concern I have regarding movies is the audio format. I tend to watch downloaded films (via a HDD connected to my Samsung TV). Most of these downloaded films don't have surround encoded such as Dolby or DTS etc. (I think they just have stereo encoding). So to get the full benefit, I would have to download a surround encoded version which costs more and is a bigger file size.

Or I would have to get a DVD or Blu-ray movie and play it via my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray player...

Blu-ray Disc Player | Samsung C5500 - Blu-Ray DVD Players

But I do prefer the convenience of having films on the HDD.
Look on ebay for the BK subwoofer. Lots of new items on there that you can buy ready to go. Some may also be cheaper as a slightly damaged (cosmetic) sub.

With regards to which one...go with the best you can afford. It's better to have the power but not use it rather than want the power but not have it.

I have a XTZ 1.12 subwoofer in a 9ft by 10ft room. If I were to turn it up I would crack the wall. But it gives headroom. I can turn it loud without being worried about clipping or distortion etc. If you can comfortably afford the Monolith Plus then get that by all means.

Again you may need to look at the box design. Ported vs sealed. Not going to go too much into detail but the short of it is sealed is better for music and ported is better for movies. Yes some music sounds good ported and some movies sound good sealed but the majority of the time sealed is music and ported is movies.

The reason I got the XTZ subwoofer is because you get a foam plug to change it from a ported subwoofer into a sealed one. So for movies I remove the plug and for music I plug it in.

The XTZ 12.17 which is the model below retails for around £499 of the top of my head. That performance wise along with the benefit of having sealed and ported with one subwoofer would be first on my list if I was you.

Speak to Jag at Epic Home Cinema and say Hamid sent you [emoji106]

Thanks Hamid :)

I had a look at the Epic Home Cinema website.... wow ! I think I'm out of my league looking at those products (financially) ! Those AVRs and speakers are extremely expensive and the cinema installs look awesomely expensive !

The XTZ 12.17 is priced at £599 :(

Back in the day, I used to fit in-car-entertainment to my car and had a Denon amp and Rockford Fosgate 12" sub, which I built into an MDF enclosure (from a flat pack kit). I even sealed the inside of the MDF with varnish and glued all the joints. I started off with the enclosure sealed but then added a port. I seem to recall that when it was sealed it was punchier but not much bass, where as when ported it was softer but more bass ?

Seems a shame you cant get a sub thats both good for music and movies, having to stuff a piece of foam in the port seems a bit archaic for a sub costing £599 ! I guess it makes a big difference and nice to at least have the flexibility to choose between sealed or ported, so do I like the fact it at least has the option.

Again, back in my in-car-entertainment days, I was always told to be wary of second hand speakers as they could be blown. I remember I blew a speaker and it made a scratching sound where the coil had overheated and so was catching as the speaker cone moved. So for that reason is it wise to buy a sub from e-bay, even if it states the condition is new ?

You can put a foam bung into any port on a sub. So could do the same with a ported BK sub if you wanted.
It would be hard to blow an active sub but not impossible. I would still not be concerned buying second hand sub or speaker.

I've been thinking about this setup and realised that I have no way of mounting the front and rear speakers, other than placing them on the floor.

Do I need to get speaker stands of some sort ? I found Dali speaker stands but these are £150 a pair, so thats an extra £300 just for the front and rear speaker stands !

Is there a cheaper alternative ?

I've been thinking about this setup and realised that I have no way of mounting the front and rear speakers, other than placing them on the floor.

Do I need to get speaker stands of some sort ? I found Dali speaker stands but these are £150 a pair, so thats an extra £300 just for the front and rear speaker stands !

Is there a cheaper alternative ?
Yes of course. As far as I'm aware the dali speakers have a universal hook on the back and thus can be used with many stands. You can buy cheaper stands from the likes of RS. Maybe best to give them a call tomorrow and ask what the cheapest one that fits is

Atacama do some good quality stands at reasonable prices.

Wait until later next year and the RXA3060 is most likely be around the £1200-1400 mark. My 3010 came out around £2000 and a short while later I got mine for £1000.

Nearly all the receivers are good value imho. The way the market works these days with new models every year and steady change in features, Value for money is to be had with last years models

This would see you well under your £1500 limit at £1149 and include the Dali / Denon combo that has been talked about. Its the smaller E9f sub but you have money left to either trade up with them or try the E9f and if it is not up to the task sell it and buy something else.

Denon AVR-X2300W & Dali Zensor 1 5.1 Package

Wait until later next year and the RXA3060 is most likely be around the £1200-1400 mark. My 3010 came out around £2000 and a short while later I got mine for £1000.

Nearly all the receivers are good value imho. The way the market works these days with new models every year and steady change in features, Value for money is to be had with last years models

Thanks ashenfie, but even if the RXA3060 came down to the £1200-1400 mark its still going to cost another £1600+ for speakers and stands

i.e.

DALI ZENSOR 3 fronts
DALI ZENSOR 1 rears
DALI ZENSOR VOKAL centre
XTZ 12.17 subwoofer
DALI Connect E-600 stands

So the total cost would be around £3000 which is twice my budget !!!

My £1500 budget is going out of the window....

Attachments

• Proposal.png
    Proposal.png
    132 KB · Views: 132

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom