Best AV Reciver for around £1000 ?

A

Andaman Andy

Looking to upgrade my Denon AVR-2105 want to keep to a budget of around £1000 focusing on "sound quality" + the ability to Bi-amp my front speakers
Looking at the NAD T773 ........ any other suggestions?

Connected equipment:

Speakers B&W 604 S2
Denon DVD-2910

Andaman Andy said:
Looking to upgrade my Denon AVR-2105 want to keep to a budget of around £1000 focusing on "sound quality" + the ability to Bi-amp my front speakers
Looking at the NAD T773 ........ any other suggestions?

Connected equipment:

Speakers B&W 604 S2
Denon DVD-2910

Why don't you buy a power amp and connect it to the 2105?

thought about that, how to bi-amp? only one pre-out for front mains with the Denon & then what amp? looked at the NAD 7 channel amp but the reciver is the same price and i can bi-amp with that unit.

Hi,

Don't forget the Arcam AVR250 for £1000, and use it's internal amps for bi-amp in a 5.1 setup. And if your money can stretch, AVR300 (what I have) which has a bit more oompf plus pre-out's for even more amps to be added, which I did by adding an Arcam P90/3 :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

Looks good! but want the added punch of the NAD Min 110W powerdrive system.

Thanks Juniper, have considered the Denon but not so sure it will sound as "Musical" as the NAD (If you know what i mean) have had two NAD sterio Amps and have been very impressed with them.

LFCRules said:
Hi,

Don't forget the Arcam AVR250 for £1000, and use it's internal amps for bi-amp in a 5.1 setup. And if your money can stretch, AVR300 (what I have) which has a bit more oompf plus pre-out's for even more amps to be added, which I did by adding an Arcam P90/3 :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

Very interesting, I too have an AVR300 (front speakers bi-amped). How are you running the P90/3? Are you using it to drive the front and center speakers? I take it you lose the ability to bi-amp the fronts by adding a 3 channel power amp. And, crucially, what's the improvement in sound like (particularly stereo)?

Cheers
Mark

Mark F said:
Very interesting, I too have an AVR300 (front speakers bi-amped). How are you running the P90/3? Are you using it to drive the front and center speakers? I take it you lose the ability to bi-amp the fronts by adding a 3 channel power amp. And, crucially, what's the improvement in sound like (particularly stereo)?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

I've got a 6.1 speaker set-up, so I never used the AVR300 biamp'ing to start with. I decided on the P90/3 to be able to bi-amp the front three channels, and found that the sound became more controlled in stereo. The hi and low frequencies were clearer through my B&W 603 fronts, so much so I've actually put in the bungs in the rear ports of the 603's to control the base now I can hear it better, although the room acoustics have a lot to do with that :rolleyes: . And in full surround mode, the centre speaker also sounds to me slightly clearer, and more defined with vocals on DVD's. I must admit I probably have a 80/20 split for movies/cd's, so the stereo isn't used that much, but the overall front stage is better to me.

I also had the spare cash saved up, (some good overtime at work :D )which also helped with the decision. Plus I traded in my Arcam A80 amp to help with the cost of the P90/3 and speaker cables. Although I did have a home demo over a long bank holiday weekend before I made my mind up. And this is something I would recommend if you can get one to prove the benefit yourself :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

Andaman Andy said:
Also been looking at the Marantz SR8500 anybody heard about this reciever?

Chopped in my Audiolabs for one.

Wanted a musical 'HiFi' amp to cut down on the boxes in the living room!

Its powerful, fluid especially in analogue direct with quality cables for stereo cd repro

My only criticism is the front display information is well not very informative or indicative of the current surround mode in use.

certainly add to your audition list, well worth it :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Duffers will definatly add the Marantz to my list, just one thing that is making me think.... the nad is nearly 10KG heavyer does that mean the NAD is an antique or more capable?

Deciding on specification or weight will probably not end up with the best short list. I definitely think the Arcam AVR300 will comfortable outperform the NAD for both control and sound quality.

Crustyloafer said:
Deciding on specification or weight will probably not end up with the best short list. I definitely think the Arcam AVR300 will comfortable outperform the NAD for both control and sound quality.

Thanks for the input Crusty, was not trying to decide the best Receiver by weight, just trying to see if the NAD was old hat, generally as elecronics get more advanced they get smaller & lighter.

Would you say the Arcam would comfortably outperform the Marantz as well?

I think Rotel 1056, Arcam 300 and Marantz 8500 are the best options...

The Marantz can be had for discount prices so I would go for the Marantz...

NAD are very good and musical, but have a fezw QC issues and maybe not as good in surround as these ones...

Get the new Denon 3806. Has freely assignable channels for bi-amping. Unfortunately, you don't have DL3 on the 2910 but you can use the 3806's HDMI switching (SKY HD is on its way...) and analog to HDMI upconversion, you have the amazing Audyssey room equalizer and the whole thing will leave you with an extra £100 to spend on cables. For £900 and mostly movie use there is no better amp (in my opinion).

P.S. no, I'm not a Denon sales rep, but I love their stuff. Used to be an Arcam man

LFCRules said:
Hi Mark,

I've got a 6.1 speaker set-up, so I never used the AVR300 biamp'ing to start with. I decided on the P90/3 to be able to bi-amp the front three channels, and found that the sound became more controlled in stereo. The hi and low frequencies were clearer through my B&W 603 fronts, so much so I've actually put in the bungs in the rear ports of the 603's to control the base now I can hear it better, although the room acoustics have a lot to do with that :rolleyes: . And in full surround mode, the centre speaker also sounds to me slightly clearer, and more defined with vocals on DVD's. I must admit I probably have a 80/20 split for movies/cd's, so the stereo isn't used that much, but the overall front stage is better to me.

I also had the spare cash saved up, (some good overtime at work :D )which also helped with the decision. Plus I traded in my Arcam A80 amp to help with the cost of the P90/3 and speaker cables. Although I did have a home demo over a long bank holiday weekend before I made my mind up. And this is something I would recommend if you can get one to prove the benefit yourself :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

Thanks very much, something else to consider :thumbsup: . Question is, will my wife spot another box in the rack :confused:

MPK said:
Get the new Denon 3806. Has freely assignable channels for bi-amping. Unfortunately, you don't have DL3 on the 2910 but you can use the 3806's HDMI switching (SKY HD is on its way...) and analog to HDMI upconversion, you have the amazing Audyssey room equalizer and the whole thing will leave you with an extra £100 to spend on cables. For £900 and mostly movie use there is no better amp (in my opinion).

P.S. no, I'm not a Denon sales rep, but I love their stuff. Used to be an Arcam man

Denon would be on my list but i listen to alot of Music and i think the denon would sound to "Receiver" like.

Andaman Andy said:
Denon would be on my list but i listen to alot of Music and i think the denon would sound to "Receiver" like.

The Denon 3805 is a great machine, but even the marantz 7400/7500 are better for music...

Also the Marantz 7500/8500 and Arcam 250/300 have bi-amp otion.

Well, its looking like the Marantz is favourite at the moment, based on what i need and what has been posted.
Suprised more has'nt been said in favour of the NAD, "Steriophile" gave it a good write up.

Andy,

Currently in the middle of a similar upgrade exercise. So far have only listened in dealers but with my speakers. My shortlist for musical receivers in currently preferred order is Arcam AVR300, NAD773, Marantz SR8500, Rotel 1056/1068. They are all very, very good and worth a listen and your ears, speakers and room may dictate a different preference to mine. I suspect from your earlier comment that like me you may find the Rotel a little bright though others may disagree. For home theatre, I could enjoy any of them particularly the Marantz which is smooth and powerful. But for musicality, as good as the others are, the Arcam really stands out to me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom