1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AV Reciever for Circ £200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MELUN, Dec 24, 2003.

1. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please............would like to order today.

Have been looking at the Yammy 5630 although the 5640 and AX640SE look good although are pushing the budget up to £300.

Not sure what all the difference is with these??????????

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You could do a lot worse than a Denon 1603. A quick check on the 'net brings this in between £150 and £195 depending on where you go. Do a search on these forums for this model and you'll find that more people are happy than not with this amp.

3. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments.........

Do you know how it compares to the Yam 5630?

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have a look in the Classifieds Forum as there are usually some good bargains around.

5. tHatDudeUK

tHatDudeUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having difficulty finding it for £150 could you point me to a few places to look pls? TIA

6. mitre

mitre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
  7. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Melun,

First of all 5640 is not 640, it is a clone of RX-V440, and you can get 5640 for only £198 at Richer sounds. 5640 is a proper 6 channel receiver and Yamaha makes at least as good stuff as Denon. 5640 is a newer model than 1603 and it does have some more features, but if you have quite small room then both of them have enough power.

Yamaha 5630 is a clone of RX-V430 (previous model) and if you search on 5630 or 430 you will find that they are all happy owners indeed. Plenty of power, it is musical, the phantom DTS-ES and DDEX modes makes a good job (it is a 5channel receiver), nice features, but 5640 is a definite upgrade in terms of quality both outside and inside and has even more features and its only another £50. The x40 series is a extremely good series (look at the review links at my thread)

Denon makes good stuff and 1603 is no exception, however it is just a "5" channel receiver. Obviously if you are not intending to have a 6.1 set up then it is not an issue.

Just to let you know the new Denon 6 channel receiver AVR-1604 cost only £230 for black or silver atempire or http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront]prcdirect[/url] and should have much better components inside, has more power, it has now a very very useful feature, adjustable crossover bass filters. And the 1804 is a huge success so it is looking darn good for 1604.

Some people are getting their eyes on Sony STR-DB790. Has got 2 5star reviews, one in UK and one in Germany. 790 has got quite a lot of the good stuff from the older 1080 which was a huge success here on the forum and press, and for the price it should be another big hit, but it is still lacking the adjustable bass filters. It can be had in silver and black for £228 (techtronics has only in black in stock, empire has only in silver) Techtronics had the black for £208 but it is out of stock.
    sony790black
    sony790silver

But my first recommendation must be the relatively unknown brand in UK, Onkyo. Their TX-SR501E has swept the board in Germany and the x01 series is huge success in Netherlands, while Onkyo with an already strong foothold in USA and Asia are increasing their marketshares. Yes, I'm promoting this brand as I think it will do competition good to have another big brand.

The 501 has it all for £250 from unbeatable, first of all really really good both film and music huge and lasting power (German respected audiovision measured 5x119w at 4ohms at the lab), very high quality components inside, all the sound modes and a very useful cinema filter (very similar to the ce-eq for thx), component inputs, enough with audio inputs, their crossover range is unbeatable at this price (5levels from 60hz to 150hz), speaker switching - the list just goes on.

I won't say anything about Marantz SR-4400 at £250 but although I have the 4300, my next one will not be Marantz despite the musical ability,the power and the absolute wonderful Circle SurroundII, there are too many bugs (I could take it to repair but it shouldn't be there in the first place, e.g. losing settings, audio delays, sound dropouts) and too crappy remote. And looking at features it is still lagging behind Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo.

But if you want to stay as low as possible, then I'm not sure which direction you should go. At max members here are definitely favouring either 5640 or Pioneer 301 (£160 at RS).

Are you still edging for 1603?

For reviews and best prices for 6channel receivers see my thread - Summary

Wasabi

8. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wasabi

Is the 5640 absolutely identical to the 440, bar the number? Does this mean it is an import? Do we gain or lose any spec because of this?

9. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's just the colour that is the difference and perhaps the remote, which should be nicer on the 5640. We have had the discussion last year about the difference between the 430 and 5630, and all owners agreed that it is exactly the same, apart from the remote, which is nicer on the HTR series.

It is not an import.

Wasabi

10. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was originally looking at the 5640(440) but plumped for the DSPAX640SE for an Extra £50 ( £249 from RicherSounds )Depending on your requirments it seems a cracking deal, Alot higher Output ( 6x85w), Better Remote ( Learning ish ), Video Switching including component and i "think" it uses a better chipset but the other guys on here may well know different ?

Regards

G