Best AV Reciever/amp for a KEF Q Setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by esoredivad, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. esoredivad

esoredivad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

I have just struck a cracking deal and added some more Q speakers to my current setup. I now have KEF Q900’s, KEF600C KEF 400B x2 and KEF Q500 (rears).

I’m looking for advice to understand if I have the right AV reciever deivingbthis speaker set up. I currently have a Denon AVR X3000 W connected to it. The reason why I ask is when I demo’d the Q900 years ago the sound was amazing on a Marantz system which I don’t remember what it was. Basically is the denon I have good enough and I need to tweet it’s settings or should I go for a different system. Looking for advice please.

Dave.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,683
    To get the best out of this particular set up you will need to certainly upgrade or supplement the 3300. The KEFs will sit well with either Denon or Marantz, the Denon stronger for film with the Marantz having the edge for music.

I take it that with having four floorstanders that the room is quite large requiring a good power output, therefore I suggest a Denon X6400 or Marantz 7012, the Denon being slightly more powerful. If you wish to keep the 3300 for doing the precessing you could add a power amp or stereo amp with HT bypass to drive the front left and right, this could be more cost effective than a new high end receiver and give you a far better stereo music sound.

Do you have a budget in mind? You could also be better off posting this in the AV Receiver forum. Perhaps the mods would be kind enough to move it.

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,465
    Indeed. The request is for a Receiver so I've moved the thread over.

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
    I have a Kef Q set-up. Q700 fronts, Q200C centre and iQ10 rears. I also have 4 upfiring speakers. I have found that my system improved when adding external amplification to the AVR. Your Denon AVRX3000 has the necessary pre-outs, so you may find that adding a power amp(s), might give you a bit of a boost, without needing you to change your AVR.

If you are using the AVR for 2 channel music listening, and you are looking for a great musical experience, then using an integrated stereo amp for that purpose should sound better.