Best AV Receiver up to £2000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marty1, Aug 1, 2012.

1. marty1

marty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have a Pioneer LX72 which I love but now I have some diy subwoofers I need to do some serious eq'ing down to 10hz, which the Pioneer cannot do.

So I'm looking for a receiver that is at least as powerful or more than the LX72 and has the top of the range Audyssey XT32 auto multi eq on board.

If must have 3D capability.

I am prepared to spend around £2000

I would love to hear your recommendations please.

Marty

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,424
    Hi Marty

the newly launched Onkyo 1010 is available, I haven`t heard one yet but I have unboxed and heard the new 3010 today and its fantastic, or at least I think it is

a little over budget though but worth a mention

Allan :smashin:

3. marty1

marty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks Allan I will look into it, is it the most up to date audyssey xt32 eq on board as that is the biggest key?

4. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,424
    it sure is Marty and I would`nt leave home without it :D

5. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,030
    Ive had a good few flagship amps on home demo over the years. And for me ive always loved Onkyo since buying an 898 from sevenoaks close to 9 year ago.
    Had a sony 1st then a yamaha A2.
    Onkyo 898 for 5 years
    Onkyo 906 for 3, (currently for sale)
    And now own the 5009

Believe me its the best sounding amp ive heard in my room and thats including a pioneer ax10ai
    A denon A1hd and lexicon rv8.
    Audysee xt32 is that good but the higher end parts in the 5009 is also better than the previous onkyos ive had.
    Stunning amp and paid £2200 (retail £2800)

6. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    Hi Marty

While some systems benefit hugely from adding good room EQ (mainly systems with larger speakers), I've recently found that my system sounded better by removing it.

Unless you need specific features (and depending on your speaker system), try the Audiolab 8200AP processor with a Rotel RMB1575 Class D power amp (similar to that in your SCLX72). My system has now opened up, and I'm looking at adding in an Antimode just for sub purposes (if it does a good job). The Antimode will take you over budget, but if the combo works in your system like it has in mine, it could open it up immensely...

Alternatively, if you do need certain features, the outgoing Onkyo TXNR3009 will be a bit of a bargain (replaced by the 1010).

7. techguy45

techguy45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The new DENON AVR 3313 is a great av receiver which is a £1099 and has 4k video support and has 3d support too. Also this is the first DENON Receiver to have 3 hdmi outputs. 2 outputs for the main home theatre and 1 hdmi out for zone 2 video. Check it out

8. marty1

marty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for all of your suggestions :thumbsup:

I have an antimode already and it is a vital tool for me. My Diy subs need serious eqing in my room, the trouble is I have a bfd and antimode working together, each 1 on their own does not get a balanced sound, the antimode is the better overall sound by far but cannot do enough to attend to an everest sized peak at 30hz and cannot boost. The bfd just finishes off these final touches but can't boost any lower than 20hz. Audyssey can boost down to 10hz which is exactly what I'm looking for, not to mention being able to scrap the antimode and bfd and just have 1 avr doing everything.

Actually you are the second person to suggest seperates, Dan (Moonfly) said that it is the better way to go, if you're gonna upgrade then go for the full wack, out the avr and get a top processer like the onkyo and a seperate amp like an AB to drive the speakers, I already have an ep4000 driving my subs.

You must be very lucky not to need eq, I have never had the fortune of having a nicely balanced response without any massive peaks or dips, good on you, how did you do it :smashin:

Marty

9. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    I'm not saying that I don't need EQ, just that the system sounds fine at the moment. I know there are one or two issues as I can hear them (I've come from XT32 to nothing), but there's nothing major going wrong. I will more than likely add in an Antimode to see how much better it can get, and I'm sure that will top things off nicely for me for a while :)

I would've tried this Darblet thing, but my PJ's picture is already sharp enough as it is :)

10. IcetomLT

IcetomLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That is an interesting point (I mean from multichanel point, not stereo) :cool:. Do I understand correctly that you prefer "Preference" instead of "Reference"? Did you level all channels to -/+ 75 dBC sound level or just leave as it is?

I recently had demo at home of Focal Electra 1007 Be (which I decided to buy after demoing) with my AVR-4311. Yes, in "Pure direct" mode, system have a little bit more "resolution". With turned on MultEQ XT32, sound sounds a little bit more "processed/ a little bit less resolution", but I would not call it "day and night" difference. May be longer listenings will change my oppinion:).

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I have got the same budget and on my short list are the anthem mrx700, arcam avr400 and the new Onkyo 1010.
    Music not a massive deal for me and as my speakers are pretty easy to drive power doesn't have to be massive but features and reliable switching is a must - need to get some demos but leaning towards the Anthem or Onkyo, probably ore Onkyo so far. The specs look great but it's so difficult to choose on paper and it's Anthem's ARC against Audyssey xt32...

12. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    I have still calibrated the levels and set my system up correctly. As I've said, I have no doubt XT32 presents things more accurately, and I dare say will allow me to hear more detail - I just prefer my system as it is at the moment, without the EQ.

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    I've been of the opinion that you get the best from any AV amp sans the EQ adjustments made by room correction for quite some time now. There is a case for room correction, but I think too much emphasis is put upon it these days. EQ room correction can unfortunately be detrimental to many aspects of the audio. A considerable miscomprehension of what room correction is or does has given the impression to many that it improves audio regardless of your rooms acoustics when all it does is flatten responses in relation to given EQ bands. The flatten can in itself be detrimental especially when dealing with stereo music. Turn the room correction off and you regain the dymamics and fidelity you lost when using it. Room correction isn't essential and you should try not to use it wherever possible or it least have a listen to your kit without it ;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  14. marty1

marty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I think eq is quite vital in a home cinema setup, unless you're really lucky to have your response within -5db/+5db range you will find that most rooms will have peaks and dips that can make the sound either overbearing or lifeless.

I admit sub/speaker placement and acoustic treatment should always be the first port of call but auto eq devices like the antimode and audyssey tidies up and tightens up the sound nicely in a way that is extremely difficult to do manually.

In fact he only time I've heard eq make the sound worse is when a manual eq device like a bfd is used to try to flatten out the response to ruler flat where several small unecessary filters are applied to every little peak and dip there is, the sound was completely devoid of life :rolleyes:

So eq is necessary as long as you are sensible in the way you apply it ;)

Marty

15. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,633
    I think a lot personal personal preference comes into this. I'm yet to find any eq system that I prefer over non eq for music. Even movies at the moment I'm leaving non eq'd. The only speaker I consider essential to eq is the sub.