• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best AV Receiver settings for standard TV viewing

Starnzy

Standard Member
I have a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX V671) and for movies, I use the STRAIGHT (or Pure Direct) mode on the yamaha, so I'm not using any of the receivers processing modes.

For watching standard TV, I wondered what the most commonly used settings are? If I have it set to STRAIGHT, for the most part, audio is coming out of the front left & front right speakers, with nothing coming out of the centre speaker. This was the default under the 'TV' scene on the receiver, but I was interested to know what others use for viewing normal TV?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Pro Logic II or IIx Movie is the most commonly used mode in relation to TV viewing. This will create pseudo surround from stereo audio, extract matrixed channels in relation to Dolby matrixed stereo and will be overridden when true Dolby Digital 5.1 discrete audio is detected. You also get much the same functionality with DTS NEO:6 Movie as you do with Dolby Pro Logic II.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Don't know how things are in UK, but over here, especially with "better channels", the stereo broadcast is typically Dolby Pro Logic II encoded (details here) from the original multichannel source. By allowing the receiver to perform the corresponding decoding, as Dante01 explains, you get a surround sound experience that approximates that on the original. Using straight mode defeats this, and the resulting experience therefore poorer.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom