Best av receiver in the £500 bracket?

DaveyP16

Hi all, thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

What's the best receiver to buy at around £500?

I have most of my content stored on a synology NAS in 720 and 1080p. I will watch this from a nvidia shield tv box. I also watch lots of football.

My speakers are kef 3005se and have just ordered the LG 65EF950V.

I am currently looking at the Denon avr-x2200w or the marantz nr1606.

Any advice appreciated.

simonlewis

The Denon AVR-X2200W won a 2015 award with WHFS&V, i own it so i would recommend that.

DaveyP16

Thanks for the reply, I read that review which is why I'm leaning towards the denon. I was just curious if there was anything much better by spending a little bit more, or a cheaper one with similar performance / features etc.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's also the cheaper Denon AVRX1200W if wanting a receiver with much the same features, but with less power. This will cost you £350 and is exclusive to SuperFi:

Superfi - Denon AVRX1200W Home Cinema Receiver with Dolby Atmos

The Yamaha RXV679 is also a good receiver, but will not give you either the Atmos or the DTS:X capabilities associated with the Denon models. Neither will it come ready equiped with HDMI version 2.0a, but is scheduled to receiver an update that should give it HDR abilities sometime in the future?

I don't think you can really beat the Denon or Marantz options this year as far as both features and performance are concerned. They really are the option to go with for anything under £1K.

Last edited:

DaveyP16

@dante01 thanks! think i'm sold on the denon. Been looking through the owners forum and the majority seem happy enough. I've agreed a sale on my onkyo tx-sr876 which I have had a while and absolutely loved it. Will be sad to see it go.

gibbsy

I've had my Denon AVR-2310 for over five years now and it sounds beautiful with my KEF 3005s with both films and music. For that reason I would stick with a Denon and possibly go for the X2200W. £499 at Sevenoaks and 95p dearer at Richer Sounds.

simonlewis

I think that 95p is for when you order online, if you go into the shop and ask for a deal or discount you should get it for considerably less.

DaveyP16

I've had my Denon AVR-2310 for over five years now and it sounds beautiful with my KEF 3005s with both films and music. For that reason I would stick with a Denon and possibly go for the X2200W. £499 at Sevenoaks and 95p dearer at Richer Sounds.

Thanks a lot, think i'm decided now, the Denon it is.

I think that 95p is for when you order online, if you go into the shop and ask for a deal or discount you should get it for considerably less.

There isnt a sevenoaks near me, think it would be worth a visit to my local richer sounds to try for a discount?
How much should I be looking at? 10%?

simonlewis

I meant RS, i got mine soon after launch in july i think bought some other stuff asked for a deal and got it for £450.

Longy00000

Heard plenty people tell of paying around the £425 to £430 mark for the x2200w
Check out the owners thread there have been a few little niggles with this product but if your happy with them then its a well spec-d receiver for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom