Best AV Receiver for Quad L2 Speaker Set

kubrick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a pair of Quad 21L2s as fronts, L2 Centre, L-ite Sub and L-ite 2s as my surrounds. I mostly watch movies from my Oppo and Sky HD.

I'm currently running these from an Onkyo 607 which is fine for most purposes but am thinking that it's not the best amp/receiver for the speakers.

I don't need HDMI 1.4 or any 3D capabilities and would certainly consider 2nd hand or end of line receivers to get the best from my speakers.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Kubrick

I would look at the Yamaha 1067/2067, Denon 2311/3311 or Onkyo 808/1008. The Onkyo will maintain your current type of sound but the Denon/Yamaha should be better with music if this is important to you.

Older model Denons like the 4308, Sony 5300ES that sort of thing perhaps the Denon 3808. Those Quads are very good speakers and you can get a lot more out of them, I know someone that uses them with a couple of grands worth of amplification. Second hand or end of line on those receivers should get you a real bargain I reckon for the cost of a newer upper mid range amp.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same speaker set as you, powered by a Yamaha RX-V3800. I would definitely recommend this or one of the more recent Yamahas offering similar power.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm definitely considering a Yamaha and quite possibly the RXV-3900. There are a couple of these on sale here.

Cheers

Kubrick

I've found a couple of places selling the RXV-3900 at £699 (refurbished) and then I saw the RXV-3067 for £899...

I know it's £200 extra but it was worth it to me just for the extra HDMI inputs!

Cheers

Kubrick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom