• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

best AV receiver for my set up?

M

m1keuk

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a pioneer PDP LX608D Kuro plasma and a Samsung BD UP5000 dual format HD player, but need help on choosing the best AV receiver to go with them. I'm looking to spend up to £1000 on the receiver.

The main features I'm looking for are support for as many of the 5.1 sound formats as possible at the best quality for the price. I'm also looking for HDMI 1.3 conections to support deep colour, and the receiver MUST send the BEST possible picture straight from the player to the tv - I'm specifically talking about black levels, motion blur etc, etc and also 24 fps...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Any help would be most appreciated.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I'm sure people could just list a load of amps at around £1000 but in the end, it's your ears, so I'm afraid get yourself down the dealers armed with your £1k and see what you prefer. If it's down to features for ££'s the Onkyos are hard to beat but I would still be concerned about the faults that have arisen on their high end machines and there's always the heat issues. Make sure you add Marantz to your list as they're often forgotten outwith the big three of Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer.

A good site for checking specs of amps is avlands if you want to do a bit of homework before you buy.

tmcg

Established Member
I agree,you have to audition the amps in your price bracket, for both sound and video performance. Ideally with your exisiting components
Avland is good but does have a limited product range , so read the hifi mag reviews.
If you have a branch of Sevenoaks near you, go in and organise an audition or three. They have a good range within your price bracket. And they will let you home audition.
Heat is not an issue providing you have good space between the components and air flow. My Krell amp runs very hot and can make toast.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom