Question Best AV Receiver for LG OLED and Monitor Audio RS-8/RS-LCR/RXW-12 & RSLX

Rajiv26

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Experts,

Just now I upgraded my tele from Pioneer plasma to LG OLED and now time is to upgrade AV receiver. Currently my Yamaha AVR RX-3900 is connected to Monitor Audio RS-8/RS-LCR/RXW-12 and RSLX. I believe my MR sound system is good to continue (please correct me if I am wrong), but time is to change AV Receiver to get the best of UHD/4K/HDMI 2.1. Appreciate your view on which one is the best suitable in my above setup of LG OLED / MR speaker system.

Thanks
Raj

Couple of things first:
1. What is your budget?
2. Is it for movies, music or both (%)?
3. There are no HDMI 2.1 AVR's on the market this year - you will have to wait until 2020 if you want that (unless your TV is 8K or you are a gamer, there is little benefit).

Your speakers look great, no need to change if they still sound good to you. They are 6 Ohm so you will need a decent mid to high end AVR, or AVR and Amp to drive front 2 or 3.

I would like to do one time investment for next 5 to 6 years, so budget is not really a constraint, but I want to buy AVR with necessary features rather than all (ending up not using most of those features).

Around 75 to 80% is watching NetFlix/ Amazon Prime/movies/ sports and rest is music which is nearly 20% max.
I would like to have a setup which goes wow with LG OLED and MA speaker system, basically AVR music system which is in direct line with quality of OLED pic.

I am not into gaming/ 8K contents, so not sure whether HDMI 2.1 is going to help. My setup is only for living room as I don't like to setup multi-room setup.

One more point, do I need Apple 4K TV or this is just nice to have with above setup.
appreciate your view

Forgot to ask - are you running 7.1 or 5.1.2?
Do you have a Sub-woofer?
Do you have / want Atmos? If you have 7.1 now and want to add Atmos then you will need a 9 channel AVR.

I am running 5.1 setup (with RXW12 Monitor Audio Subwoofer). I am looking forward to have Atoms as LG OLED has Dolby Atoms feature

So, you need a 7 channel to run 5.1 now and 5.1.2 after you add Atmos upfiring or height speakers. You could get a 9 channel to allow for future 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 but that is up to you.

If you like Yamaha you can look at their Aventage range (RX-A1080/2080), however I would recommend either Denon (X3600/X4500) or Marantz (SR6013/6014/7013). The Marantz is better for music but some do not like the styling/port hole viewer (which is why I have 7013 that has a full display behind the front cover). I suggest you compare the features and what you like / want as you will have to live with it for several years. Hope that helps.

Thanks. If I need to make a choice between Denon X4500 vs Marantz SR6013, which one is better value for money and helps to make a perfect set for my MA speaker sets. Appreciate your view.

Those two are sister models and are almost identical, the 6013 has HDAM which is better for music. I had a Denon before but I prefer the sound from the Marantz. Value for money, the Denon is cheaper and as both are 2018 models there are good deals on them.

The SR7013 is actually more comparable to the AVRX4500 than the SR6013. The SR6013 has much the same prcessing power, but is a less powerful AV receiver when it comes to its amplification. You'd also not get Auro 3D with the SR6013 which is included on the SR7013 and the X4500.

Note that the X4500 is not cheaper than the SR6013. The SR6013 can be had for about £850 while the X4500 will set you back about £995. The SR7013 on the other hand will cost you about £1,260.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom