Question Best AV receiver based on requirements?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by azio, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

1. azio

azio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone suggest best product based on their experiences.My requirements are
    1. AV receiver with minimum 5.1 Speaker setup with excellent audio performance
    2. Nice punchy base and crispy high frequencies
    3. Fast GUI / Interface
    4. 50% Movies/Games and 50% Music
    5. DLNA compatible and can play Music from local network like Synology NAS.
    6. Support high resolution audio & codecs specially FLAC.
    7. 4K/HDR pass through for PS4 Pro , Xbox One X , Nvidia Shield
    8. Streaming from internet most importantly Spotify

Not interested in:
    1. Zone 2 Audio
    2. Dolby Atmos
    3. Pre amp outs
    4. Wireless speakers compatibility and multi room setups
    Thanks

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +610
    What speakers and sub are you using?

This will give others an idea what your "Nice punchy base and crispy high frequencies" means :)

Budget will help too...

You see the Denon AVC-X8500H fits the bill, but if your only using the Monitor Audio Mass speaker, well, you can see the problem :D

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    Yes, budget and speakers info would definitely help. But for your requirements, I am leaning towards the Nad / Arcam AVR's.

4. azio

azio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Rambles & @ShanePJ
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked into speakers yet. First want to choose the receiver and then select the speakers for the perfect wedding. Budget up-to euro 1000 for Receiver and 1000 for Speakers.

Regards

5. Leelo

Leelo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What about source material you mention a NAS but what about other materials or is it all from the NAS

6. azio

azio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Leelo , Mostly its from NAS and also Online like Netflix / Spotify streaming.
    Regards

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    Okay, if you have 2000 euros in total for 5 speakers, a subwoofer and an AVR, I think that will put the Nad and Arcam out of budget. Next best for musical performance, in my view, would be a Marantz AVR. Maybe the SR6012, if you can find any in stock, they are an outgoing model and heavily discounted at present.

8. Leelo

Leelo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Conventional thinking would be spend as much as possible on the front end of the chain as possible so say 60-70 % on the av amp and the rest on the output devices on the basis of the speakers or headphones can only reproduce what you feed them. I.e. garbage in garbage out. Also the more capable the AV amp the more convincing the surround sound experience with movies. Personally if I were you I’d get myself done to a dealer and listen to some gear as only you can tell what you like. None of your sources will be the most musical in purists terms like SACD or DSD or other hi res formats but I would not get too worried about that and just go with what you enjoy

9. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    I would say that the speakers are a very important purchase, and will be the most influential in shaping the type of sound you ultimately hear. Buying blind, without a demo, is quite high risk, unless you can return if they do not suit. A good speaker purchase should last you many years. I am still using my Kef Q35s which I purchased after an in store demo in 1999, although they have been bumped to a different room. They still sound gorgeous though, and not too far apart from the Kef R300s that I bought recently.

10. Leelo

Leelo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Totally agree a good pair of speakers should last for years my current Wharfdale Evo 30 have been with me for at least 13 years and I’m only considering change because I want something in a higher price range and I have heard some really nice Tannoy and Focal speakers recently. Oh and I want something in Gloss Black to match the Mancave . I also agree that the choice of speakers is critical and should only be made after listening to them. I spent weeks listening to multiple speakers and I was lucky enough to have a dealer who let me take the final 3 option
    S home to audition in the correct environment. This was ultimately what led to the Wharfdales being chosen because up till then I was convinced that the Tannoy 6 series were better but when I got them home the Wharfdales blew me away.

11. wilco1uk

wilco1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Worth considering that a good set of speakers will last a long time. However AVRs become obsolete (maybe a bit strong) but certainly upgradable within 5 years. Eg compare a 10 year old receiver to what’s available today....4K, nope, HDR, nope,Atmos, nope, Dolby Vision, nope Bluetooth, only on high level, Spotify, nope, DTShd/ DDTrueHD, just about.

I’d always spend more on speakers than electronics. They tend to have a better resale value as well.