Best av power amp ?

silouette

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know this is very system and price dependent question,
but it would be very interesting to hear which particular AV power amp other forum members have been particularly impressed by . Indeed which model could be considered the special one ?

Well right now I am mightily impressed with the Acurus a2007. It's a 7 channel 200wpc amp. For £3600+ vat it delivers far beyond its price point.

I will be doing a review on it in the next week, I am using it while I await delivery of my ada amps.

Other than that I can highly recommend the AB cinema amps. Home -.

Well right now I am mightily impressed with the Acurus a2007. It's a 7 channel 200wpc amp. For £3600+ vat it delivers far beyond its price point.

I will be doing a review on it in the next week, I am using it while I await delivery of my ada amps

Hi Nick

I also like the Acurus A2007, as you know I've had mine now long enough to get to know it and it does deliver very well, 300 watts into 4 ohms

Another amp I really like is the Sunfire TGA 7401, this is from Bobs family and is a beast of an amp delivering 600 watts into 4 ohms all 7 channels driven and it runs cool

2 dam good amps that will grace anyone's AV System

Allan :smashin:

I think the Cinepro / AB Systems power amps are very hard to beat, and I'm not alone in thinking that.

Nick

Plus Bob has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Hi Tref!

It would appear not. Not sure what has happened there. Please send again.

Oh, unless you mean the other nick? Lol

It will be nice to see what Datasat bring to the party amp wise, from what Neil has said they are very very special,
Hopefully I should have mine soon 2 x 7 channel to play with.
I can also recommend the Aragon iridium dual mono I have 2 of them in my music room powering Aerial Acoustics model 9's and they are something els. ImageUploadedByAVForums1367947634.853305.jpg

Hi Nick,
Did you get my PM.
tref
the other one is local to me and I was on his brain picking trail
No kidding - probably walking distance!

I haven't played with power amps for some time now; I used to have lots, but have none now. I got as far as the CinePro 3.6 and was happy with that. I've been concentrating on players, processors and integrated amps since then. On the whole there's not as much difference between power amps as with the small signal components - just as long as you've got something that isn't overwhelmed by whatever speakers you're using. I noramlly just use my Sony DA9100 integrated these days. Its been a while since I heard anything to tempt me away from that. I'll buy a NAD M2 one day, see how that stacks up, and take it from there. Sorry for the slow reply, life is busy and PM's are pilling up.

Nick

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, ( thought it might have been something I'd done)
Very interesting.Sort of had a similar thought process.
Reckon, I'll be happy where I am for a while, but maybe need a decent sub, to give me that last bit of dynamic grunt I reckon is missing.

Cheers
tref

I have the awesome Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. That one is 5 x 850 watts into 4 ohms.

Been a long time since I started this thread but wondered any Bryston, Parasound or Rotel users have any views or comparisons

I used to have a Parasound 5250, and the less said about that tha better.

I'm really tempted to get hold of an Earthquake Cinenova Grand.

Nick

Nick

You can't just say that and stop... I nearly bought a second hand Parasound, what did I avoid? :D

Edit: I did find your thread, and spent a good hour or so reading... thank you for the time and effort you put into that!

Last edited:
Are all these AV power amps good for 2 channel stereo music as well? Or as good as a dedicated hifi set up for example a Linn Majik or Akurate setup?

Nick

I used to have some Parasound Halo amps, 3 x A23 and one A52, absolutely stunning amps to look at but things went down hill rapidly when you switched them on.

To be fair the A52 was ok but all three A23s buzzed noisily both mechanically and sonically. When I first used them for Bi-amping I noticed an audible disparity in the channels and sent them to Parasound to be repaired, nearly all the channels in the stereo amps were at different levels to one another, even on the same amp. The engineer also said the buzzing was a common 'feature' of the A23.

Even once they were 'repaired' I didn't take to the sound, they were very harsh and forward for me (some might call that detailed, I don't :)). Now, funnily enough I have gone full circle back to Cinepro. I don't miss the Parasound at all but they did look gorgeous.

attachment.php

Attachments

• parasound_01.jpg
    parasound_01.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 441
Are all these AV power amps good for 2 channel stereo music as well? Or as good as a dedicated hifi set up for example a Linn Majik or Akurate setup?

I thought the same as well, I use the home cinema for music so I went for Hi-fi amps. Tried a Rotel didn't think much of it, high power.. I guess you could get Hi-fi amplifiers for the front three and a home cinema amplifier for the rears and sides.

I thought the same as well, I use the home cinema for music so I went for Hi-fi amps. Tried a Rotel didn't think much of it, high power.. I guess you could get Hi-fi amplifiers for the front three and a home cinema amplifier for the rears and sides.

I think a really good amplifier can do both very well, if you need something different for each job then one or both aren't very good IMHO. :)

This is similar to what I do at the moment. I have my Linn Majiks bi-amping my front 2 speakers and the AVR doing the rest.

Its just a pain and I would like to simplify the setup in the future. I have my eye on the Classe Pre/Power as my end point. Can't afford it yet, but need to demo to see if I like the sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom