1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AV output for a VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Fuchida, Nov 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very new to the home cinema world and I have only recently setup my equipment. I am using a Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3803, Sky+, Panasonic PT-AE300 Projector and a 106" Draper screen (and an X-box with the Hi-Def kit).

However I have thousands of pounds of commercially produced VHS videos (Babylon 5, Star Trek, films, etc.) that I would like to still view and I have a three year old (at least) Toshiba V858B VCR that only has scart and standard audio connections.

If I bought a new VCR to try and get a better picture, what should I be looking for? I don't know much about how the VHS tapes are recorded. Presumably component video or RGB output via scart is for DVD only (and the same for optical audio). What are the best output types for video and audio on a VCR and can anyone recommend a good. modern VCR?

Or, given the quality of VHS tapes, is upgrading is a waste of time anyway, even if they are commercially produced?

Steve

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The best video output from a normal VCR is composite (video). S-VHS machines output in S-Video and allow you to play back your existing tapes outputting in such. Personally I find it doesn't make that much difference (as with anything it depends on source) but its better than nothing. The question is do you consider it worth paying that little bit more for? Only you can answer that.

That's correct.

The best VCRs by a long way are made by Panasonic and JVC. Between those two there isn't much to choose from - the Panasonic models tend to look better, the JVC models tend to be a bit cheaper.

If you get a good S-VHS VCR then you will notice a slight improvement - whether you think it's worth paying £100 odd for is your decision. Certainly VCRs are dead as far as recording goes what with digital recorders arriving thick and fast.

Personally I think the best idea is to ditch the idea of buying a VCR, sell your existing one and start buying all these titles on DVD.

3. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. I think I will start buying the DVD versions of my favourite films and probably all of B5 and DS9 as well (any suggestions on best places to get them?)

I won't bother with iscan for VCR only but if I decide to get an iscan to improve Sky+ I'll try putting the VCR through it too.

Steve