Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best AV output for a VCR

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fuchida, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very new to the home cinema world and I have only recently setup my equipment. I am using a Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3803, Sky+, Panasonic PT-AE300 Projector and a 106" Draper screen (and an X-box with the Hi-Def kit).

However I have over 500 pre-recorded VHS videos that I would like to still view and I have a three year old (at least) Toshiba V858B VCR that only has scart and standard audio connections.

If I bought a new VCR to try and get a better picture, what should I be looking for? I don't know much about how the VHS tapes are recorded. Presumably component video or RGB output via scart is for DVD only (and the same for optical audio). What are the best output typed for video and audio on a VCR and can anyone reccomend a good. modern VCR?

Or are VHS tapes that bad that upgrading is a waste of time anyway?

Steve

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Exactamondo! :D

Get a Dvd recorder for archiving in future and keep your current VCR for watching your old tapes. Best connection available for your vcr is composite over scart with sterep from the standard audio connections.

Even if you got a SVHS deck which have S-Video output, your current tapes would still look ropey on the PJ although new stuff recorded on it would look better than standard VHS but seeing as your old stuff will still look the same anyway your better getting a dvd recorder for future recordings.

3. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VHS tapes are commercially produced ones, not home recorded ones. For instance, I have all twenty-four seasons of Star Trek (Kirk, TNG, DS9 and Voyager), all five seasons of Babylon 5, all the Buffy and Angel Series, Sharpe, Professionals, etc, etc.

In all, several thousand pounds worth of VHS tapes that I would like to view in the best way possible and wuold prefer not to have to buy again on DVD.

Based on the fact these are not home-recorded, would a better VCR and better connections make a difference?

Steve

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not really. At the end of the day you're still only dealing with a low quality image no matter how new the machine.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

The short answer is yes, but you aren't going to get VHS up to the visual standard of DVD.

One option you might consider is using a prog scan converter ( cheap, such as a ProV, or more expensive, such as an iScan), or if you're pc literate, use a capture card and dscaler to de-interlace the signal from your VCR and output a progressive scan picture to the AE300. I tried this, out of interest, with a Prov and with a pc, and it certainly made vhs more watchable (smoother picture, scanlines eliminated, more or less, iirc) than a straight composite video signal fed straight into my projector.

If you've got that amount of material on VHS it's impractical (impossible maybe) to replace them with dvd - its worth trying out a de-interlacer.

You should also keep an eye out for one of the Panasonic VHS players - I can't remember the model numbers - have a trawl through the HCC review archives (link in the drop-down-menu at the top of the forum page), if memeory serves correctly they were consistently judged the best vhs player...........

All the best,

Sean G.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ...........................just found it....... click here for a review of the Panny NV HD625.... HCC Review .......... I think there was a later model as well... 630 (?).

You may well find one of these for sale in smaller shops, you could try the Hardware for Sale forum here with a wanted ad..whatever.

All the best,

Sean G.

7. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. I'll try tracking one down.

If I buy an iScan, would that also improve the Sky+ picture and would a pro or an ultra be better?

Steve

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Depends how sky is connected but short answer is yes it will make all interlaced sources look beeter by differing degrees, there are a few threads on Iscans and Av-sales seem to have good deals on them.

9. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming I bought an iscan ultra and a S-VHS VCR, presumably I could connect both the VCR and Sky+ via s-video to the iscan and then run component video from the iscan to my AVR-3803 (I would have to unplug the component video from my X-box as the 3803 only has two component in slots but I could live with that :))

Does an S-VHS VCR produce better results from standard VHS tapes or do they have to be recorded as S-VHS. In other words, would my commercial bab 5 tapes be better on an S-VHS VCR than my existing VCR?

Should I position the iscan as above or run the Sky+ and VCR into the 3803 and place the iscan between the 3803 and the projector?

Also, assuming the former, would I be better getting an scart to component covertor and placing that between the Sky+ and the iscan or would their be little difference if I just ran s-video from the sky+ to the iscan.

Any advice much appreciated.

Steve