1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AV Amp to add to a Stereo Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tony8377, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've finally managed to break my mates 2802 (which I've had on loan for about a year :rolleyes: ) as the left monitor out is broken so I need to buy a new AV Amplifier. So what should I buy......................? :)

Now for once on this forum Stereo replay is completely irrelevant, I have a nice Pre & Power combo and that will remain my main system for music and will drive the front two channels for Home Cinema via the monitor outs on the AV Amp.

I suppose my main question is how different is the pre/processor section of a £500 AV amp compared to a £1000/£1300 Av Amp? I'm after a very crisp detailed sound that is great with movies with perfect steering of effects. I don't use a centre speaker as personally I prefer two stereo speakers doing the job of the front three, I sit dead centre and have never heard a centre speaker add value to two good fronts. The AV Amp of course has to drive the two rear speakers - Anthony Gallo A'Diva's and feed to an SVS sub.

Other considerations; I don't really require auto set-up as I have and can use a Sound Metre. What I would like though is room equilisation (is there such a thing as Manual Room Equalisation?). Having recently moved house I was amazed at the base drop out from where I had placed my speakers and had to move the whole room around. I would therefore like to be able to manually (or Auto) adjust the volume at various frequencies per speaker. Room equalisation is definately the next big thing in home cinema (if it isn't already).

I made the mistake of buying the What H-Fi awards today and reading the review of the YAMAHA DSP-AX757SE which they quoted as nearly equal to a £1000 AV Amp. Bearing in mind I don't need the amplification would this be a good buy? Is it possible to Bi-Amp the rear channels (on any AV Amp for that matter) and does anyone know if it has room equalisation (or the cheapest amp that does)? I really like the look of the new 3806 because of the Advanced Room Equalisation and like the reviews of Yamaha 4600 (but will it be much different for me than the 757. Anyone have any others suggestions.? You used to be able to buy a Yamaha 3 channel AV Amp, does anyone do anything similar? Also is there such a thng as a cheap AV Processor with all the features of the current Intergrated's as I could just buy that and another two channel power amp?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You could go the processor route although you would probably want power amps by a the same manufacturer as your stereo amp to match sound. For stereo as many people will tell you there is not really av amp that could match a £500 stereo amp (a recent review of the arcam 300 said that it sounded realy good in stereo, simialr to a good £300 stereo amp)

What brand is your stereo system, as the eaisest option would be to get a reciever from the same brand, stick the preouts into the amp, if it supports this and use the reciever to control the rears (and i really would suggest centre) the better the unit the better the processing, but it ain't gonna match a dedicated processor unit and seperate amps. Then again it ain't gonna try and match it by price either so its horses for courses really.

The yamaha 2600 looks like the most feature rich reciever to come out with alsorts of video features it has auto setup (wouldn't hurt to try it and fine tune with the sound meter) it has a equaliser for every channel and alows you to store multiple settings in memory, so you can customise to your hearts content and then switch between them using the remote, meaning you can automaticaly tell the difference between your settings. It also has a gui and multi room out, as well as extra fronts called pressence speakers.

There are a few features above that are unique to the yamaha and there are others like the equalisation that are suposidly alow more flexability (pioneer comes to mind).

The 2600 will sound even better (well it should anyway) than the 757 and is about as future prof as you can get, disregarding the yet implemented HD audio formats.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, if you have more money than the £800 for the 2600 you could consider a pre/pro combo in which case ask in that
    forum and you will sure get plenty of help.

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the comments, I did look at the 2600 especially due to the Video Up Conversion but as I don't have HDMI (Panny PW7) I didn't know whether it was worth it. Do you know if it will also upscale/output 720p/1080i via the component outs? Am I right in thinking it isn't out for a while?

I do like the idea of a processor but you seem to get so much more 'bang for your buck' with Intergrateds and they seem to get the newest technologies and functionality so much quicker and the processors never seem to catch up (certainly not at a reasonable price). I don't understand why someone like Denon does produce a mid range processor at around £750 and let you chose you own Power Amp. That way everytime you want to get access to the newest technologies you can just buy a new pre for a reasonable amount of money (perhaps that's why :mad: ) instead of having to also buy the amps which don't change that much.

My current stereo system is ATC & Michell (Alecto), I don't think either make Home Cinema stuff and you can't even buys the Alecto's anymore.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The 2600 does upscaling in both analauge component and digital HDMI if i'm not mistaken and it should be out later this month (although it may be delayed as these things are).

I think the reason that they don't make a cheap proessor is probably because the market for it is a bit picky, when upgraing your integrated av reciever, its probably the amp section that you'll want to upgrade as much as for the new features. It would be great if they did produce a mid/low range processor but i suppose it would take the market away from the integrated and the amp section is probably cheap to make even if it does cost when it comes to transporting the beasts, hence good margins.

When av amps first took hold in the late 90's early 00's there were a few products by yamaha to produce just processing or just rear and center speaker amps, but since then nothing.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Would you be interested in a LINN AV5103?

6. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I haven't heard of the above. Are you offering to sell me one or recomending it? Either way what does it do? DD,? DTS? Pro Logic 2x? etc

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Knightshade,

Thanks for the offer but had a chance to listen to the 757 & the 2500 Yamaha's at the weekend and was quite impressed with the 2500 so I think I'm going to hang on and either buy the 2600 or the Denon 3806 when they are released.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK, Good luck.