1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AV Amp/Receiver max £700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rozel, Jul 8, 2003.

1. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just bought a Sony STRDB1080 and it's developed the dreaded "Speaker Buzzing" fault. Assuming I can get my money back (I don't forsee a problem despite it being 3 months old), I would like to buy an alternative. I have considered the Yamaha RXV740 and the SonySTRDB2000, which is not out until September ish. If I were to upgrade to a better model, what would people suggest. I would like all the 5.1/6.1 EX/ES modes and PLII etc and I would be prepared to go for an Amp rather than a Receiver if it has what I need. Opinions would be appreciated - I live in the UK. TIA.

2. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm currently looking around with a similar budget, and the one that really seems to stand out is the Pioneer VSXD2011. For the money its crammed with features, and performs well to boot.

The Denon 3803 also seems to perform well - I'm demo'ing both on Thursday, can give a better opinion after then.

3. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers - I look forward to hearing further following your Demo

PAUL

4. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also currently looking at thes two amps. Cant get to demo them both anywhere so please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

5. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rozel,

I too have this amp, have had if for some time hooked up to Mission M72's front, rear & Tannoy centres...

What exactly was the speaker "Buzz" - ie how apparent etc..

Just asking because I upgraded from my HArmon Kardon AVI100 Pro Logic Amp (Which I have to say sounded the nutts playing music CD's) and ever since have found the Sony Amp to be Good but occaisionally I think I can hear what sounds like "data" in the background - all be it very faint...

It this similiar to what your talking about & is this a trait of the units digital decoding :(

6. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for suggesting that this might be the problem, but no. The buzzing is on all six speakers irrespective as to whether one shuts down the volume or whether it is in fact not receiving an input signal. It is a well recognised fault discussed many times in this forum. Indeed my supplier is aware of it very much and has several units in at the moment for repair, but he can't get the part(s) to modify. It is apparently some IC which is causing it. Suggestions are that the 2000 model due in September has been rushed to replace this unit but I have not been able to verify this. Once you have been afflicted, it will drive you nuts. It is always there at a constant level - you can disguise it by turning the volume up but when quiet passages occur it's there with avengence. Amps/Receivers in this price category are infamous at not playing music very well, but they are the dogs b******s when it comes to playing movies. Indeed you would probably have to pay around £1000/£1500 to get similar sounding "music" quality me thinks - far better to invest in a separate stero amp. I am currently in a quandry as my supplier only stocks Sony's and Yamahas. Going to pluck up the courage later this week to ask for a full refund.

7. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ........ well Kuni D, where's the findings of you demoing the Pioneer and Denon? I am waiting with anticipation! Hurry up!

8. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldnt wait so ordered the Pioneer vsx-2011 today!!

Gets delivered tomorrow so will post once I have set it up!

Bit excited really!!

9. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Supernosh - Could I ask where you ordered it from please?

10. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I too would like to know, I'm still waiting for my supplier to get them in stock :(

11. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

ordered it from

http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm

Got if for £709 delivered which is superb!! Ordered it at 16:00 yesterday and turned up at 11 today!!

Apparently they had 3 left??

Good Luck.

I'm off to play!!

12. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've recently received my new 2011 and am currently putting it through it's paces. I'm planning to start a new thread soon with some initial opinions and questions as I'm sure current 2011 owners and potential owners would have lots of good advice and questions on how to get the best out of this beast. So look out for the new thread in a few days time!

13. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Going to see if I can get a full refund on my Sony and buy the Pioneer. Thanks

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth checking here for the Pioneer 2011 at about £675 delivered - if they have any in stock :)

15. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    says 'special order item' so I guess they dont??

16. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys, where are your reports on your new 2011's? KUni D, what about your 3803 and 2011 comparison from Thursday? You sure know how to keep a guy in suspenders, :)

17. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I need to know too!

18. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all i recently asked 2 7oakes dealers info on av amps re there sterio abilities in my case what might be better than my 3802 and work with b&W, i asked 7oakes because they stock 2011/3803/ and hk 5550, although hk is dearer at about £850.

one reply hk better than either pioneer or 3803 for sterio.

3803 good facilities for use with plasma.

other dealer 2011 is best bet, out of 3803/hk5550.

i would be interested if someone has had a chance to dem hk5550/pioneer 2011/3803 side by side and what sounds better for sterio use, not been able to demo myself not enough cash to buy one of the 3 options anyway .

thanks all

19. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  20. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Malford I am well aware of that thread - in my case the fault only became noticeable after 3 months of use and it's getting steadily worse. Tomorrow I getting down to some serious talk with my supplier who has been great about things up to now. I will report but in the mean time what about that comparison between the Denon and the Pioneer last Thursday?

21. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Update - My supplier has agreed to take back my Sony for a full refund and replace it with a Pioneer VSX-D2011S. The price was reasonable although not the best available. However I consider it to be a great deal given my Sony is 15 weeks old. Sent it back today - should get the Pioneer back before Friday - will report some more then - anyone point me to reviews of the Pioneer?

22. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone wake up Kuni D for a report ***!!

23. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just been looking at the Pioneer VSX-D2011, it looks a great piece of kit. But does anyone have any opinions on matching it with Kef egg's.

Cheers

Ricky

24. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit OTT isn't it?

Using a (£800?) AV amp for sats costing £600 for the set.

25. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S Master Digital amp in the STRDB2000??? - Sony really do love that thing don't they.

nathan_silly - I'd agree, there's no need to spend anything above £400 (and frankly, the AVR1803 and SR4300 are more than suffice at £200) to match the Kef Eggs. Of course this is IMHO.

26. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would you recommend ANY compact speakers for this receiver?

Big A

27. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M&K K-5's?

8 Ohm impedance, so not the usual M&K spec of 4Ohm (will probably trip up the 2011)

28. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about the new Monitor Audio Radius range? (esp. the little R90's)

Reason for question is that I'm about to buy the Pioneer 2011, my current mk1 eggs are being sold on ebay, and I'm looking for 7x compact speakers to complete my 7.1 setup.

List so far is (and I understand that this is a wide price range):

Kef mk2 eggs
    M&K K5's
    Monitor Audio Radius

I've discounted the VM1s. Not to my liking.

Big A

29. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Update - well my exeedingly good supplier (enl Digital) got me my new Pioneer toy and I spent all day yesterday hooking it up and becoming amazed by the relative ease by which you can set it up automatically. As an audiphile for many years (and never being able to afford top of the range equipment) I have not been as impressed with anything as much as this since the days when I purchased a Sugden A48 stero amp, my beloved Spendor BC1's and of course my Linn Sondek. This baby is absolutely fantastic. It's early days yet but the sound stage is breathtaking compared with the Sony and my previous Technics 5.1 amp and musically it doesn't sound bad either!

A couple of questions for anyone who can help: -

It seems that to get the most out of it the volume control has to be at about -17 (it goes to +12, I think) would this be about right?

Currently I have a pair of fairly cheap JVC speakers rigged up in series on the left hand surround back speaker terminal - they are quoted at 6ohms - so I am currently them at 12ohms. However I will be getting another flat speaker cable to run the two as a pair but will I need to adjust the impedance setting? All my other speakers are quoted at 8ohms apart from my centre (6ohms) and subwoofer (5ohms). Is it important to lower the setting?

Finally In automatic set up it seems to do it's own thing in setting the speaker sizes - how to you correct them (say to small) and progress with the test. The manual suggests you can but the on screen display doesn't allow you to - any ideas?

Any other tips and tricks would also be appreciated

TIA

30. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Obviously speakers / room does mean everyone listens at different volumes, but I use my 2011 at between -15 and -20 for movies, so it seems about right. 00 is reference level, but never dared to go that high!

The manual is wrong about being able to change the speaker size and continue with the set-up, you have to go into the 'EXPERT' menu after wards and manual change it.