1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AUDIO DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by darrellr, Jul 10, 2004.

1. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What, in your opinions, is the best budget DVD player for playing CDs. I'm not talking about compatibility - I mean what is the best deck to replace a decent dedicated CD player. If it's a decent DVD player too all the better!

By budget I'm talking below 250.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I don't think one exists tbh. Even higher end dvdp's struggle to compare with a good designated cdp. I'd use my budget to buy a seperate solution ie buy a good budget player like a tosh sd330 or similar for £60 and put the rest towards a cdp. If your looking for a one box solution then the Arcam dvdp are hard to beat but way over your budget. You may be able to pick up something better second hand though.

good luck and hope you find what your looking for:)

3. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm afraid space dictates just the one box.

So why is it that nothing in the DVD market has decent cd audio processing capabilities? Surely it's all much the same thing? :confused:

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get an AV amp that does upsampling of sample rate and matching interpolation/smoothing to higher resolution, and take digital sound from the DVD player. That's what I do. It also helps other digital sound sources (eg Sky, Freeview, PC).

5. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want great audio from CDs in a DVD player at a reasonable cost, check out the Cambridge Audio 540D. I bought one just for CD playback, I found it that good. I compared it head to head with the 540C and found it a lot better (to my ears, of course). As a bonus, it will do DVD-A. I've heard some Arcam players that also do great audio, but they're not in your budget.

Here's a link to my comparison, if you're interested.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136156

6. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Call me thick but it never occured to me that using an optical connection from my DVD player to my amp meant that I was using the amp to turn the digital info into music!

If I continue to do this it will make no difference what DVD player I've got.

Given that my A/V amp is relatively new (AVR-1804) is it worth getting some decent analogue interconnects to up sound quality or is it better to stick with a digital connection to keep losses to minimum? :lease:

7. Supernatural

Supernatural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with Hawklord that you can't beat a separate CD player - but as you want the one box the Limit DVD players have had good comments re their CD playing ability.

Enter DVD LIMIT CYRUS in the search box above for lots of threads about the Limit DVD players.

http://www.limitelectronics.com/products.asp?type=1

Paul

8. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    In the August What Hi-Fi they did a review of budget DVD players which included the Limit which had a comment of being a CD player that also did DVD!

9. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you can get hold of a Philips DVD963SA second hand, it will probably be your best bet within your budget. It is not only a good DVD player but a good CD player as well and a fantastic SACD player too. There are certainly much better players out there than the Philips but not cheaper.

Good luck in hunting for a second hand unit.:thumbsup:

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Also worth looking at is the limit 900SE. I use it as a cdp as well and it is very good. I even sold my Nad 541i as I didnt need it :D
    www.limitelectronics.com

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's not exactly true. Players will vary when using a digital output due to the amount of 'jitter' they put in the signal. A digital signal needs to be very well timed for playback to be as intended and the journey from DVD to amp can mess this up to varying degrees. You will, however find much less difference between players when using the digital out. There's no point upgrading the interconnects as you are then using the DVD players DACS to decode the bitstream, something you want to avoid in your price range. You can't 'top up' the sound quality, the amp will either use the digital signal or the analogue. It doesn't use both at the same time. It will most likely default to analogue if it can't detect a digital siganl.

The 1804 will likely make a much better job of decoding than most players you can afford so stick with a digital connection for now.