Best Atmos ceiling speakers for modest setup.

avjon

I have been looking to add ceiling speakers to my system for a while and have been completely confused by the choice.

I don't really want to spend a huge amount and have seen the Q Acoustics Qi65CB for a good price per pair (£75)

I know these are relatively low power speakers but my system is not a powerhouse and I believe that Atmos doesn't require an enormous speaker for best effect.

Mt system is:

Marantz NR1609
MA Silver 500 fronts
MA Silver FX rears (on side wall in line with listening position)
BK XLS 200 sub.

Would these speakers be okay in this setup? I have no experience of Atmos so don't really know if I should spend more or try these and see how it goes.

Mr Wolf

These are the specs which look fine to me.

Woofer diameter:6.5"
Power handling (program):50W
Impedance (nominal) ohms:8ohm
Sensitivity dB spl (2.83V, 1m):93
Response(Low freq.) -3dB Hz:77 - 20,000

- 6.5" diameter woofers are large enough to keep excursion low which is good for distortion.

- 93dB sensitivity combined with 8-Ohm nominal impedance should make them extremely power efficient and therefore very easy to drive.

- 93dB sensitivity and 50W power handling (which gives maximum 17dB gain) combine to give a maximum rated output of 110db at 1M anechoically. In room that would be circa 115dB and as Atmos channels only peak at 99dB at reference level (which you won't be listening at) there's no dynamic range issue at all.

- f3 point of 77Hz is sufficiently low that they can be used with a sensible bass management crossover point in the 80-100Hz range.

Overall I would say that these are a great budget Atmos speaker option for somebody running a relatively low powered AVR like the NR1609.

avjon

These are the specs which look fine to me.

Woofer diameter:6.5"
Power handling (program):50W
Impedance (nominal) ohms:8ohm
Sensitivity dB spl (2.83V, 1m):93
Response(Low freq.) -3dB Hz:77 - 20,000

- 6.5" diameter woofers are large enough to keep excursion low which is good for distortion.

- 93dB sensitivity combined with 8-Ohm nominal impedance should make them extremely power efficient and therefore very easy to drive.

- 93dB sensitivity and 50W power handling (which gives maximum 17dB gain) combine to give a maximum rated output of 110db at 1M anechoically. In room that would be circa 115dB and as Atmos channels only peak at 99dB at reference level (which you won't be listening at) there's no dynamic range issue at all.

- f3 point of 77Hz is sufficiently low that they can be used with a sensible bass management crossover point in the 80-100Hz range.

Overall I would say that these are a great budget Atmos speaker option for somebody running a relatively low powered AVR like the NR1609.
Thanks for that. It's not a hugely powerful amp but it does sound good so I would like to use the Atmos to see what it is like.

IO will give those speakers a go.

avjon

Speakers ordered and should arrive tomorrow. I will have to search out my gecko cable puller and see where exactly the joists go so I can get the speakers positioned correctly.

Mr Wolf

Do you know the trade magnet trick to find the joists?

avjon

Do you know the trade magnet trick to find the joists?
Luckily I have a one story room so I can easily get into the attic space and the walls are dot and dab so are easy to get the speaker cables through.

Mr Wolf

Ok, that's easy. If you need to find the joists from below, just buy some of these super powerful magnets as they will stick to the screws holding up the ceiling board. I then just circle them with a pencil. I have access to roof space too but these still helped hugely as I could do all the measuring and marking in the room.

avjon

My marking will be done with the 'me knocking and wife checking positioning' method!

avjon

Ordered yesterday and they have just arrived today, Seem very slim in terms of depth and they are definitely designed for low power 'background' music (as described on the packaging). It will be very interesting to see how they deal with the Atmos channel.

Tomorrow is fitting day, getting speaker wire up wall and across attic space and cutting of 203mm holes. Wish me luck!

avjon

Both speakers fitted and they look okay with their magnetic grilles on.

Haven't really had a chance to listen to them fully but when we watched the latest Chip n Dale movie on Disney Plus the DD+ DSurr mode on the amp was playing through them so they definitely work.

I will have to do Audessy setup tomorrow and see what it comes up with.

heeeed

Novice Member
How are you getting on with these? I have a very similar base setup and also been looking at these for atmos

avjon

Hi
I think they are okay. It is hit and miss for me with Atmos as I rely in the Atmos from Netflix, etc rather than a dedicated UHD bluray player for example.

There is a definite increase in the sound 'bubble' around he listening position and even when playing 5.1 stuff they are being used by my amp. It is a subtle increase in immersion which, I suppose, is the purpose of Atmos.

I have to say that I don't know what a pair of £500 pus in ceiling speakers would do for my setup in Atmos terms, and so think the speakers I got do me fine. Would I spend more? Perhaps, but only if I knew there would be some definite performance upgrade and I don't think there would be with my present setup.

I will enjoy what I have now and if there ever comes a time in the future when I think they could do with being upgraded, then at l;eats the wiring is already there!

avjon

Follow up after some listening done with the new speakers installed.

They really do make a difference!

With Atmos through the Netflix app on my Samsung Q90R TV you can really get the feeling of being enveloped in sound. For some shows, especially Stranger Things, there seems to have been a concerted effort by the sound engineers to use the Atmos speakers. The last episode of this series is especially good. (No spoilers for you!)

I am quite happy with the new speakers and reckon that for the price they are worth a punt to see if Atmos is worth it. I may end up upgrading them as I said earlier but for now they do well.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom