1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best and worst Sky digital channels to check tv.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chrisjoanne, Nov 1, 2003.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can users please tell me which Sky digital channels they use to see if their TV's are upto scratch.
    I'm considering changing my Tosh (again) as I'm not totally happy with the picture quality but feel it MIGHT be the actual broadcast quality.
    ITV 1 and 2 can be "blocky" with all programs - it also has many digital nasties along with some sports channels (where fast movement brings a touch of the digital gremlins).
    However some channels are perfect and the depth of colour etc is fine.
    My brother in law has said it maybe the Sky decoder but if some channels are fine I'm not convinced.
    I'm also very close to getting new £50 scart cables but don't fancy paying that much if the picture quality does not improve.

I have yet again got a tosh with the geometry slightly off (going from right to left) - it can only be a matter of 1mm or 2mm but once its been noticed it stands out.
    I'm sure I read that someone on these boards had the same problem but it took him 5-6 different sets before he was happy..........bloody hell.

Can someone also tell me what the disc is which checks your TV's settings. Is it "Avia" or something like that, and what exactly does it do.

Cheers again.
    Chris

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Scart cables won't help with low bit-rate channels. I generally find BBC1 to be a good channel (try something like Eastenders), and Sky Sports 1 for decent sport broadcasts. Channels like Bravo can be very dodgy.

3. ewan hoozarmy

ewan hoozarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Channel 5 seems to have the highest bit rate.

Or use a DVD of course.

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chrisjoanne,

Sorry to hear your still having problems. I had the Tosh along side the PD30 for a week and didn't think to much about it. I thought the PD30 was better and tried three different ones but all had the same problems. I not sure that you know but I sent them all back and I'm on a Philips 32PW9528 which in my opinion has the best picture of them all. Yes, it does have some halo effects on high contrast pictures but the picture quality more than makes up for it.
    I usually check Sky Film 1-3 channels for picture quality. Sky news is one of the best. Like previously stated, C5 has a high bit rate and is usually very good. I watched Robocop the other night on the P+ and couldn't believe my eyes. The picture was stunning. The sound from the Philips is pretty good as well. I think one of my main problems is now I can't just look at the TV for what it is. I have to analyse each scene for flaws, and this can't right.

Good luck is your quest for the Holy Grail

Bazza

5. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice to hear from you again bazza.

I'm now the same as you - you can't just sit and enjoy a program. You're looking out for little errors in anything you watch, which is quite annoying.

I've found a site which sells this "Avia" disc for around £35, so that maybe my next port of call.
    I've got a feeling I can't better the Tv I've got; as someone said last month.........there is no such thing as a perfect Tv with a perfect Tv picture. Its what you can put up with the least!

6. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    SKY NEWS always has a TOP picture (studio shots only )

7. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chrisjoanne M8,

The Avia disk wont do any thing for you. It will allow you to set the colours using little bits of coloured plastic but you'll most probably find the set is already set to the best settings using your eyes. You can also check the geometry but from what I've read of your set it wont allow you to correct the slant at the bottom of your screen. Anyway, if you need to get a grid up on your screen to check the geometry the Tosh has a built in one. If I remember you go into the service menu and then hit the AV button.

If you need to buy Avia get it here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=79

Bazza

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC News 24 is also pretty descent quality IMHO.

E4 + 1 is abysmal, good for checking the effectiveness of a TV's DNR.

9. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know Bazza that I've gone back to my 6 year old Pace decoder and it has improved the picture quality!
    The decoder I was using was a Panasonic. I think the Tv will now be fine apart from the geometry problem which I believe many 32" Tosh Tv's suffer from. I would say at this moment in time I'm 95% happy. I don't think I'll ever be 100% :rolleyes:

10. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done M8.

Take care, until the next time:D

Bazza

11. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just read my post again - "6 year old Pace decoder" - don't think digital was available then :clown: Just seems as though Sky has been taking my money for the last 6 years. (Decoder must be getting on for 3 years but still better pic). Cheers :D