Best And Worst Of 2006 (HD DVD/BluRay)

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
High Def Digest have posted a Best and Worst HD DVD/BluRays of 2006 article. Worth checking out but to summerise the best in each category:

Best Transfer (New Release) -- KING KONG HD DVD

Best Transfer (Catalogue) -- CASABLANCA HD DVD

Best Animated Title -- MONSTER HOUSE BLURAY

Best Music Title -- PHANTOM OF THE OPERA HD DVD

Most Overlooked Gem -- THE MATADOR HD DVD

Best Exclusive HD Features -- THE FAST & THE FURIOUS: TOYKO DRIFT HD DVD

:thumbsup:

Not surprisingly, there seems to be more HD DVD titles in the BEST Overall catergory, and there seems to be more Blurry titles in the Worst Overall category. Anyone made a more thorough count?

I just had a quick look and it seems we have...

HD DVD = 12 bests

BLU-RAY = 4 bests

HD DVD = 2 worst

BLU-RAY = 3 worst

What is funnny here is the 4 BLU-RAY got 2 is not on HD DVD (fair enough)
But the other 2 being mi3 & world trade were as follows..

MI3 was bettered on HD DVD over blu-ray as it was a fair bit sharper or the BLU-RAY was alot softer what ever way you want to look at the transfers..!

Where as "world trade centre" was pretty much equal scoring give or take,, but again in favour on HD DVD as reported on many review sites that it held up better in darker scenes,,but wasnt most of the film like that :rolleyes: ..!

so in reality it could have been 14-2 in (bests) favour of HD DVD but instead to add a little balance they through the BD dics in for pitty ;) ...

or adding the worsts and best together and getting a figure would make..

HD DVD = 10

BLU-RAY = 1

or with the other figure if they had opted the titles i mentioned to HD which they should have in fairness you would have..

HD DVD = 12

BLU-RAY = -1

slightly more accurate to be fair

It was pointed out elsewere how can the likes of Kingdon of Heaven, Tears of the Sun, Ice Age: The Meltdown etc. not be listed.

It was pointed out elsewere how can the likes of Kingdon of Heaven, Tears of the Sun, Ice Age: The Meltdown etc. not be listed.
Because whilst those titles you list are very good - and represent the best on BluRay - they are not the best in class.

I owuld have liked to have seen robin hood 1938 in there i think its the best hddvd i have bought. The added hd looney tunes push it over the end in my book.:rotfl:

Where is all the support for BD now with its -1 score :confused:

I may be a little harsh there , i will give it back its 1 point so there is still some competition ;)

Check out the PQ/AQ scores for the last 10-15 Blu-Ray titles here:-

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html :thumbsup: ;)

Im up to date with everything thanx so i will not be wasting my time reading that again ;) ..also this is one of badass favs this is where it counts according to the BD MAN..!!

HD DVD VS blu-ray sales ranks position TOP 10 (badasses fav :lesson: )

HD VS BD
1) 234 566

2) 286 925

3) 558 1299

4) 741 1465

5) 762 1589

6) 767 1625

7) 810 1762

8) 870 1823

9) 1063 2297

10) 1098 2332

its still early as we all keep saying but this speaks for itself..

Very surprised HDDVD 12 Monkeys isn't in the worst trasnfers list, its all over shop, appalling!

John.

Best animated title was a tie

Best Transfer (New Release) -- KING KONG HD DVD

Best Transfer (Catalogue) -- CASABLANCA HD DVD

Best Animated Title -- MONSTER HOUSE BLURAY/ CORPSE BRIDE HD DVD

Best Music Title -- PHANTOM OF THE OPERA HD DVD

Most Overlooked Gem -- THE MATADOR HD DVD

Best Exclusive HD Features -- THE FAST & THE FURIOUS: TOYKO DRIFT HD DVD

A great result :clap: and well deserved yet again for the joy and quality HD dvd has brought many this year and it can only get better ,the saga continues...

BTW where are the BD fanbase comments just where are they?? ,you know the ones... ( PF & BA ) :D ..
Im suprised they have not posted yet with more silly graphs stats & ridiculous posts of what if , this time next year malarky and to mainly put down yet another well deserved white wash over there beloved format :rolleyes: ...!!

the page wont load for me.

Ive discovered the ignore user function! i might be able to stand reading threads that 3rdeye is posting in now...

That's a truly shocking end of year list... and makes no sense.

The Devil Wears Prada is nowhere near a best of year title. [HD DVD] Swordfish, Riddick and [BluRay] Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down have much better picture quality (there are probably stacks of others too).

Talladega Nights and Army of Darkness are nowhere near as bad as Into the Blue and countless other early BluRay releases.

PS only 3 of the 6 honorable mentions for best tranfer (new title) made the top 10. 4 if you count King Kong.

PPS none of the 5 honorable mentioned for best catalog transfer made the list.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom