Quantcast

Best and most detailed account of behind the scenes shenanigans of HD DVD vs BluRay

mikeaitch

At last! an objective and well - informed account of what went on and why!

There's hope for a unified standard again- MSoft cannot afford to be left out if BR wins, and without HDef on the X Box 360, launch dates will be too close to PS3 for HD-DVD to establish itself a the dominant hi def standard

Good work fella! :smashin:

AML

Lets face it, one reason why Bill doesnt like Blu Ray is because the PS3 uses it and thats direct competition against the XBox 360 which as we all know is MS's product.

Theres absolutely no reason why we cant buy a Blu Ray drive and put it in a windows PC. So what if Windows doesnt support it right out, thats what drivers are for. Most Products need drivers to opperate, so i really dont see the problem.

HD DVD's capacity is its biggest downfall, that with the lack of copy protection. (something whch BR has well planed out.)

Studios care about protecting their content so many studios will go for Blu Ray, while PC makers care about capacity, again they will also go for BR.

Consumers care about price.
The only benefit HD DVD has over Blu Ray. But that alone wont stop BR.
This time round sony has more backing than toshiba so theres no reason why BR wont win out in the end.

Dutch

AML,

I don't think 45GB HD DVD is at that much of a disadvantage against Blu-ray's unproven 50GB discs. I believe both formats use AACS as a copy protection scheme - how does HD DVD lack copy protection?

Steve

K

kenji-san

in a couple of years, the 100gb/200gb BR discs will come around, and by then we'll surely appreciate the extra capacity.

Nitrox

Standard Member
I have heard that BR isn’t achieving 50GB, only about 25GB. Has anyone else heard these comments?

Dutch

Nitrox said:
I have heard that BR isn’t achieving 50GB, only about 25GB. Has anyone else heard these comments?
Yes, indeed. Don't expect to see 50GB Blu-ray at launch.

Steve

StooMonster

Nitrox said:
Dutch said:
Yes, indeed. Don't expect to see 50GB Blu-ray at launch.

Steve
Natch, it was the HD DVD camp who said it last week!

FUD is the term.

StooMonster

AML

Sorry guys but Blu Ray launched a couple of years ago! :D
And you can get 25gb recordable disks right now.

These are single layer. HD's single layer disks only go up to 15gb.

If we start talking about dual layer or quad layer then it doubles up.

If you do the math, BR offers much more storage than HD.

Since NEITHER of these dual layer disk formats have launched yet, no one can prove anything in regard to each formats limitations.

If sony fail to produce dual layer 50gb disks, then they WILL have some problems. But considering how much support they are getting, its unlikely they wont have these disks ready.

scrapbook

AML said:
Lets face it, one reason why Bill doesnt like Blu Ray is because the PS3 uses it and thats direct competition against the XBox 360 which as we all know is MS's product.
Or if the Xbox 360 had a blu-ray drive it would avoid any competition and there would be one less reason to wait and buy the PS3 over the Xbox. :smashin:

Stephen Neal

AML said:
Sorry guys but Blu Ray launched a couple of years ago! :D
And you can get 25gb recordable disks right now.

These are single layer. HD's single layer disks only go up to 15gb.

If we start talking about dual layer or quad layer then it doubles up.

If you do the math, BR offers much more storage than HD.

Since NEITHER of these dual layer disk formats have launched yet, no one can prove anything in regard to each formats limitations.

If sony fail to produce dual layer 50gb disks, then they WILL have some problems. But considering how much support they are getting, its unlikely they wont have these disks ready.
Yes - though the tech required to produce DL BluRay is quite new, whereas the tech for DL HD-DVD is relatively similar to DL-DVD, as the two formats are physically much more similar. (BluRay has a very thin surface layer, whereas HD-DVD and DVD have a much thicker surface layer AIUI)