Best analog 7.1 player

shaolin kid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Been looking at the best way to get hd audio without upgrading my amp ( denon AVC-A1SE) can't afford to buy a new amp of the same quality as it so was looking at going the analog route.is there any players that can decode all sound formats and pass onto to my amp over 7.1 analog? Not looking to spend a fortune ( poss up to £350)

Might be worth looking out for a used Oppo BDP-83 for that price, now that there are plenty of '93s about now. You may even find a used '93 for a little more perhaps. Not sure about new models as I've stopped looking since I got my '93 (clue there ;) ).

I was going to suggest the Sony S760, but I can't at that price when it was on offer for £100 last year :eek:

The reason being that I use it with my AVC-A1D and the two work very well together via the Analogues, albeit the output is on the low side, volume-wise.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I bought an ex dem panasonic bdp 300 blu ray player for around a hundred quid.Can hear difference when in multi input mode,just bear in mind any dsp programmes or with my set up the front height channels will usually be unavailable.happy tinkering.Roger.

The OPPO 's will, not sure about the Sony or Panasonic as I dont have one.

Probably look for a used Oppo BDP-83 as Kelvin mentions or spend a bit more for a used OPPO BDP-83 SE which has the Sabre Dacs.

Or save up for an OPPO 93 and forget about changing it for a few years, they are very good.:smashin:

Well I have looked around and might push the boat out and get a denon DBP-2012UD
Anyone own this or had it on demo?

Personally i would look for a player with dts re-encode, you will then get dts from everything, I never rated analogue outs myself.

I know analogue is second to digital connections but so would be any amp I could afford compared to my denon AVC-A1SE,£3000 when I bought it ( yeah,a good few years ago but still one hell of a amp) I am leaning towards a oppo 93 anyway right now

Wise man above mentioning DTS Re-Encode. Mucho playing around with anlgs, HD via LPCM & I love DTS Re-Encode with all of my 3 BD players. Amp is deciding factor of course & anlg quality of players.

FWIW I've tried DTS re-encode from my Oppo 93 into my Arcam AV9 and I was impressed at the result. I recently got some analogue cables (more to allow me to listen to my SACD and DVD-A collection). I was surprised to find that I also prefer the analogue connection for BluRays, over DTS re-encode, but as CJCross says it depends on the analogue outs and I guess it also helps that I have an amp that is particularly good with analogue.

TBH either option sounds better than my older setup with a Denon 2808 that could decode HD, but didn't sound as good regardless of the badges on the front panel. Let your ears decide...I did even though I wasn't expecting the result I got.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom