Question Best amplifier for Dynaudio Special 40

maxis777

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
I'm a lucky owner of subject speakers switching from the active ones i had before.
So now the question with the amplification arise. Any thought on 1.5-2k GBP?
As i saw on Dynaudio stands, they often play with SIM Audio, even though my inital though was newly released Cambridge Audio CXA81.

Recommend the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 if you can find one second hand within budget (one on ebay at the mo).

My Denon PMA-2500NE is within your budget and is in a different league to my Cambridge CXA-80. IMO the CXA-81 would not do full justice to your rather special speakers and would be better matched with speakers half their price

If you want a bare bones analogue amp with a good power supply and great bass control then I recommend the Rega Elicit-R.

Well, my only additional requirements to the unit are to have coax input (Bluesound streamer) as well as USB-input (Intel NUC), so list of what i've read is following:
- Parasound Hint 6
- Denon PMA-2500NE/1600NE
- Hegel Rost
- Plinius 980 (wondering if anyone has any experience with that unit)
- Moon 340i
- Moon Neo Ace (not sure it is powerful enough, but as a solid unit it looks amazing)
- Primare i25
Last 4 are only via b-goods market:/

Well, my only additional requirements to the unit are to have coax input (Bluesound streamer) as well as USB-input (Intel NUC), so list of what i've read is following:
- Parasound Hint 6
- Denon PMA-2500NE/1600NE
- Hegel Rost
- Plinius 980 (wondering if anyone has any experience with that unit)
- Moon 340i
- Moon Neo Ace (not sure it is powerful enough, but as a solid unit it looks amazing)
- Primare i25
Last 4 are only via b-goods market:/

The Moons are high end units but do lack power somewhat but that will only come into play if you have a large room and like to play at high volume, quality amps. Numpty thinks highly of the Denon PMA-2500 and I have just ordered the sister SACD player. The Rega can be kicked into touch as it doesn't come any where near your requirements.

Well, I recently bought a Denon PMA-1600NE off a PFM forum member, and when I went to his home to pick it up he had his pair of Dynaudio Special 40's hooked up to it to demo it for me.

All I can say is Wow! It was sublime, so if the 1600 model was OK then I can only imagine the more powerful 2500 model would be even better. He thought maybe the Dynaudio's needed a bit more grunt to get the absolute best out of them, and I reckon the 2500 would have been perfect.

I wish I could buy myself a pair of those Dynaudio's, they really are special.

Surprised that no one here has suggested a Naim. The two are a match made in heaven.

Musical Fidelity M6500i, Arcam SA39, Cambrigde 851A, Naim Nait XS 2, Supernait 2... are all good choice.

If you want a bare bones analogue amp with a good power supply and great bass control then I recommend the Rega Elicit-R.

I've auditioned the Elicit-R a few times, and in my opinion you have to spend at least double the amount again to improve on it. I've heard it driving Dynaudio's Evoke 30's (not sure how they compare with the specials), I was very tempted and still haven't ruled it out.

You could add a DAC such as the discontinued Chord 2qute (You can still pick them up from dealers for about ÂŁ500, either new or ex-demo). There are a number of ex-demo Elicit-R's around from dealers going between ÂŁ1000 and ÂŁ1300. That would fit in under your ÂŁ2k Budget.

I won't post links, as I don't know the dealers, to make an actual recommendation.

I will add that you probably don't want the best amp for your speakers, rather you want the best amp for you. Though I don't deny the speakers are a consideration.

Think of the amp in terms of Power and Features, what best suits your needs. All the amps recommended are good amps, but what best suits you.

For example, if you need a DAC for whatever reason, much cheaper to get the DAC built into the Amp.

If you get a very minimalist amp, which would probably be very good, then depending on what you need, you could add another ÂŁ1000 to the cost adding features that you could have bought built into another amp.

I'm not discounting anything that has been said so far, just saying that you need an amp that suits your personal needs.

For example, the Parasound HINT 6 is relatively full-features. It has MM/MC Phono-In, Sub-Out, Full Bass Management, Tone Controls, DAC (2xOptical, 1xCoaxial, 1xUSB-PC), XLR In/Out, 160w/ch, and so on. Very nice ...assuming... you need those features.

By contrast, an amp like the REGA Elicit-R (105w/ch) is very minimalist. It has A volume Control and a Source Selector Switch, and that is about it. A very good amp, but only if it serves your needs. Though this particular amp does have a Phono In.

So, the underlying point is, find an amp that does what you need done.

Steve/bluewizard

Thank you, guys! I totally agree with BlueWizard, wish there is something online like an amps KB where you can filter them by features:)
Basically the only features i may need is Sub-Out, USB-B input, DAC, Coax/Optical input and 1-2 stereo inputs maximum, output - 100W @ 8 Ohms should be enough. Obviously better to pay just for what is needed.
Even though Rega makes amazing devices following up to many reviews and feedbacks, i would rather go with all-in-one device as i already have a separate streamer.

Basically the only features i may need is Sub-Out, USB-B input, DAC, Coax/Optical input and 1-2 stereo inputs maximum, output - 100W @ 8 Ohms should be enough....

... i would rather go with all-in-one device as i already have a separate streamer.

The Parasound HINT (Halo Integrated) has lots of features, and if you plan to add a Subwoofer, the built in Bass Management is a Plus ...but... it is about DOUBLE your stated budget -

Since you have bookshelf speakers, it is possible to set the Subwoofer Crossover to the Natural Roll-Off of the speakers. For example, if the speaker are rated on the low end at roughly 40hz, then set the Subwoofer Crossover at ~40hz, and as the Front speaker naturally fade out, the Sub will step in to pick up the slack. That eliminated the need for Full Bass Management, not quite as good, but generally good enough.

If you have a Pre-Amp/Power-Amp set up, there is a way to add Bass Management between the Pre and Power Sections, either low cost fixed passive, or active bass management, but Pre-Amp/Power-Amp tends to boost the price.

As an illustration, there is a Pre-Amp and Power-Amp combination. The Rotel Power Amp has 120w/ch. The Rotel Pre-Amp has a DAC built in. ( RC-1572 Pre = ÂŁ945, RB-1552MkII Power = ÂŁ845, Total = ÂŁ1800)

Here is the equivalent of these two in a Integrated Amp - (RA-1572, 120w/ch, DAC, Phone - ÂŁ1395) -

If you would be satisfied with blending a Subwoofer at the natural roll-off of the Front Speakers, then you don't need Pre/Power, and integrated will do. I think both options fall within you stated budget. Doing it this way is actually pretty common especially for those with bookshelf speakers.

Here is info on the Rotel RA-1572 Integrated Amp (120w/ch) - ~ÂŁ1400 -

And here is the info on the RC-1572 Pre-Amp. Pretty much the same as the Integrated just minus the Amps -

Reasonably at or under your price range, the Rotel come pretty close to providing everything you want.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Would this do the job - Classes 2200i

Usb, optical, Coax digital, couple of analogue and sub out plus hdmi if you want it, 200w into 8 ohm and tone controls that can be configured and room eq via PEQ filters.

Example below but there are two used and two new on eBay from Frank Harvey HiFiX.

Plus this exdemo unit

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thank you, Ugg
Would this do the job - Classes 2200i

Usb, optical, Coax digital, couple of analogue and sub out plus hdmi if you want it, 200w into 8 ohm and tone controls that can be configured and room eq via PEQ filters.

Example below but there are two used and two new on eBay from Frank Harvey HiFiX.

Plus this exdemo unit

Thank you so much, looks like a very attractive device. Similar budget and features is Naim Unity Nova, can be found on a b-market for the same price.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I’d Uber second the Lyngdorf amp.

Everything you need and RoomPerfect.

If you’re not happy buying a Lyngdorf used then a bit of a budget stretch will get you one of these fine machines.

A goodly supply of current for the power hungry Dynaudios...

A review and discussion available here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom