Quantcast

Best Amplifier for B&W DM603 S2

My Mrs is obsessed with older B&W Speakers and wants a set of 603 S2's for our lounge

We currently have a small hifi set up in the room - Rotel RA-03, Chromecast and DM601 S2's with BK XLS200

What amp would be a good choice to really get the best out of 603's? I used to sell them back in 2001 or so and remember they absolutely LOVED a lot of power (we ran them on a Rotel RB991 power amp and RC995 pre amp).

What would be the best used option up to about £5-600 or so please? I've read about MF 3.2, Primare A30.1 and of course we already have the Rotel which is decent, but what would be a step up please? She likes to play stuff loud and hard! (Detached house luckily)

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I don’t think you could go too wrong with this combo -

rc1070

rb1070

I don’t think you could go too wrong with this combo -

rc1070

rb1070

Thanks. I saw that power amp on eBay - looks good but the past few sold nearer £250. Do you think it’s worth £350?

I may get the power amp and use my RA03 as a pre amp initially and see if that adds much

what about something like Nad C370?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I think the eBay market is a bit screwy at the moment, volume is a lot less so prices are a bit higher. So may be worth hanging around for a while until things normalise a bit.

I was just about to edit my post to say just use your ra03 as a preamp so maybe that is a good idea. If you got the rb03 (if you can find one) then you could bi-amp the 603’s, which you may be able to do with other Rotel amps.

Only experience I have had with Nad was a 1240 preamp that was great for vinyl but was quite warm, loosing out on detail and gave a bit of bass boost but it was quite muddy. No idea if the power amps have the same traits, should be less so but worth bearing in mind.

If you are looking for new then these are getting decent reviews -

one of the new class D amps similar to ncore, hypex, Icepower etc., loads of power and efficient too.

Top Bottom