Best amp under $1300?

Gergo332

I want to buy a stereo amplifier for my Elac speakers. I had used the CA CXA80 before, I was happy with it, but unfortunately I sold it. I want a new amplifier, I looked at these:

-Cambridge Audio CXA81
-Arcam SA20
-Rega Elex-R
-Primare i22 ((used)

I listen to a lot of rock, blues and jazz music.

Has anyone compared these amps yet?

Thanks for the help.

acgingersnaps

Hi. Can't say I've compared to the other above, but I'm a very happy Elex R owner. Great amp that I can see lasting me for years and years. Sounds great and is built like a tank. Drives my Neats with ease. Over 11 o'clock on the volume is too loud.
Basic connections, but that's not an issue for me given how low the cost of good external kit is (iFi, Schiit, Topping etc).

gibbsy

Another vote for the Elex. It's a very basic analogue amp though so if you have any thoughts of using headphones you will need a standalone headphone amp. Still worth it though, superb amps.

acgingersnaps

so if you have any thoughts of using headphones you will need a standalone headphone amp
For which I use a Schiit Magni Heresy, connected via the Rega's tape outs. Sounds superb and, as a bonus, has a matching black with red trim colour scheme. A genuine hifi bargain at $99.

daddy999

Rega, Roksan, Yamaha, YBA, Cyrus, Marantz, all respected, all slightly different sound signature, all worth a demo.

gibbsy

For which I use a Schiit Magni Heresy, connected via the Rega's tape outs. Sounds superb and, as a bonus, has a matching black with red trim colour scheme. A genuine hifi bargain at $99.
That's what I had to do with my Elicit, the difference being the Elicit has a dedicated output for headphone amps which leaves the record out free. The beauty of having a standalone headphone amp is that I can move it between systems.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom