1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Amp under £2500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Apocalypse, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use the Yamaha DSP A1 but I want DDEX/DTS ES now so need to upgrade. With £2500 what are my best options, the favourite is the Yamaha DSP AZ1 but is an intergrated amp my best course of action. I've always read that if you seperate the power from the processing you will get better results, trouble is most capable processors are very expensive :eek:

What are your thoughts on THX amps like the Denon or Pioneer in comparison to the AZ1, are they a better option even though my speakers aren't THX capable?

Thanks in advance for any advice............

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I say try and find a keenly priced Denon A1SE. £1,100-ish is the best I've seen 'em go for. Gorgeous amp.

Mike.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    If you are looking at £2500 then there are a lot of options. Here are some to consider:
    You could go for a Rotel pre/power combo (the RSP 1066 and a brace of Rotel amps). Or the new TAG processor with the same Rotel power amps. My old Rotel processor, despite some ergonomic reservations, did sound good. The Rotel 976 and 985 processors were a lot better, so I presume the new 1066 will be very good too. Rotel make top notch amplification, and I can't think of a single integrated amp that I have heard with better amplification than the 1075 or 989mkII amps (never mind the 1095).

The Yamaha AZ1 may be a contender, but I haven't heard this amp, yet. I suppose if you make use of the extra front effects and DSP modes, this Yammy may be the only choice. I haven't heard the big Pioneer, either, which you may be able to find for £2500 mail order or on the 'net. Again the Pioneer has been getting very good press, so it would be remiss not to consider it.

The Denon A1SE is falling in price and is now a very good buy. More than a couple of SevenOaks outlets are selling these for ~£1700. I heard this amp after getting my old A10SE and thought the amp was good, but not worth the money (many will disagree on this...).

The new Harman/Kardon 8500 THX receiver looks good too. I should expect the spec to be similar to the 8000 found on the American H/K site.

For some reason my fav amp that I have listened to is the big Onkyo 989. I don't know why but the sound just suited me better than the Denon A1SE, or any other. There is an upgrade imminent for this amp too, I believe.

Hope that lot helps - Russell

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that reply russraff, I think tonight I'll look into possible combos for pre/power with Rotel being a first choice in the power amp section.

If DDEX/DTS ES requires a minimum of 6 channels but power amps only supply 5 I assume I get another 2 channel power amp for the centre rears that provide almost if not the same amplification as the other 5?

I just hope I have enough plug sockets is all :D

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yes, in an ideal world you would have equal amplification. I really don't think the rears need to have the same amplification if you are working to a budget. For the £2500, about £1700 will be spent on the processor (both Tag and Rotel are upgradeable in software at least). If you can find them, a 985mkII 5chnl power amp can be found for £550. Bristol SevenOaks have one, I'm sure they'll post it to you for £15 or so. look here leaving £250. With this you could get an 2nd hand amp (do a search for Rotel 981 in the classified forum, going for 220) or perhaps a lower powered Arcam or Rotel.

Russell.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're a star Russ, the Tag Mclaren does seem to stand out from the crowd in the processor field atm in that price range.

Regarding power amps, the Rotel RMB-1075 (5 x 120 THX) can be had for £800+ and I need another power amp for the rears, the RB-1075 (2 x 130 non-THX) is a fairly cheap option. I'm very tempted to wait and see what the Rotel RSP-1066 Processor will perform like when it's finally released here so I might hold off on the processor for the time being.........a few more months won't kill me :)

Thanks for the link too Russ, I'll call em tomorrow I think :)

7. RushmoreGrad

RushmoreGrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the RB-981, the previous model to the RB-1075 (2 x 130 non-THX). It is only 2 months old, have the invoince confirming date of purchase. It is in mint condition, and comes boxed with manual.

I posted this in the classifieds a few weeks ago.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Untill I get a 7.1 processor I can't see a use for the extra 2 channels at this time RushmoreGrad. The price is fine and I'd definitely buy it if I could utilise it somehow. Thanks for the reply though m8.