1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Amp to go with KEF Eggs (7.1)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkusThatch, May 2, 2005.

1. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Have got myself a 7.1 set-up with KEF Eggs & sub, just wondered what people thought would be best Amp to go with them. Ideally I want a THX amp so have looked at the Pioneer 1014 and Yamaha v1500 - any thoughts would be appreciated! :) Read a few posts talking about Amps being too powerful for Eggs. Any advice?

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi, I feed my Kef eggs and sub (albeit in 6.1 rather than 7.1) from a Denon 2805 and am more than happy with it. Please note that it can run a 7.1 setup but is not THX certified.

All the best with your choice.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there.

I've been using a Denon 3803 to power my Kefs for over three years now and have been very happy.

There are others here that are more knowledgeable but my understanding is since the speakers aren't THX certified, and im guessing neither is your source, you're not really going to get any 'real' benefit by getting a THX receiver.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As a THX Amp I would also add the Onkyo TX-SR702E to your demo list.

I wouldn't worry about the amps being to powerful for the Eggs, but I personally think that the Eggs are perfectly happy with something along the lines of a Denon 2105. Yes, they will appreciate better amplification, but on a RRP of the amp, the money IMHO is spent elsewhere. Of course, if the chosen amp is significantly below the RRP, this is "out the door".

5. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Onkyo seems at bit steep for my budget (699 quid?) - i'm looking to spend around 450 quid - the pioneer and yamaha amps fit into that budget. Still, thanks for suggestion.

Thanks for advice about power of amp vs eggs. Reassuring!

6. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I've had my Egg's running with a Denon AVC-A10SE and currently i am using a AVC-A11SR. Both drive the eggs to great room filling levels with no problem.

Both Amp's are THX, and i picked them both up for good prices second hand as i had quite a low'ish budget and couldn't justify the prices for equipment brand new that'd be out of date a year later :suicide:

7. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Thought about the secondhand option but to be honest it looks like a straight fight between the Pioneer 1014 and Yamaha v1500 - both under £450 so I guess it's just a case of weighing up list of features. Admittedly don't have any thx labelled equipment but just want to cover all the sound options from dd to dts inc. thx. Never know, might upgrade the speakers/dvd one day.

8. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    In terms of set-up and ease of use which one out of the Pioneer 1014 and Yamaha v1500 would be my best bet?