Best amp & speakers to complement my Rega P3 playing acoustic jazz in a smallish room

Seagull67

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to this forum but have found it very informative. I bought myself a Rega Planar 3 a few months ago with an Audio Technica VM530 cartridge. I have been playing it through the hifi components I've had around for years: my Teac A-H300 MkII & a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B1's from 2007. Perhaps unsurprisingly I want to upgrade now I can finally afford to do so. I wondered what advice you could all kindly offer me on a good choice for an amp and speakers to complement the Rega P3? I play almost exclusively acoustic jazz, mostly LPs on Blue Note, Verve, Impulse & some contemporary releases on ECM. My room is quite small - I can only get back from the speakers about 12 or 15 feet. I have a budget of around £1600, but would be glad to not use it all. I am currently considering the Rega Brio and the B&W 606s or KEF LS50 Metas (twice the price...) but what do you suggest? I want speakers that are also ideally quite discrete in size. All the reviews of amps & speakers leave me confused: especially when it comes to what bit of kit is compatible with what, and what works well with the genre of jazz I listen to most. What I want is a sound that is spacious and detailed but warm for the type of acoustic small group jazz I favour - clinical sharper sounding speakers are fatiguing and irritating to me. I currently tend to sit quite close to my speakers (only about 7 feet away). I do also listen to a far lesser extent to classic pop, soul & folk like Dusty Springfield, John Martyn, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Joy Division, New Order, Cocteau Twins, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell. I'd be very grateful for your expertise and advice. I'm the kind of person who likes to buy the best I can afford, once it's well researched, and then just get on with enjoying experiencing music. Finally (if you can stand anymore from me!) I also wondered about a good CD player - I'm using my old Teac PD-H300MkII - I am not unhappy with it but I think I might be once I improve my amp and speakers? Thanks so much for any help you can provide. Cheers.

Rega Brio is a fine choice. A brilliant little amp and Rega’s pedigree with vinyl is second to none. I’m running my recently acquired Planar P1 through and I’m impressed so far.

Here’s something a bit left field, assuming you can get a power plug to each speaker but this will give you lots of clarity and give a clutter free system plus you can tune a little to your room/taste (bass, mid, high trim controls) and is easier to site due to the passive radiator system.

Tisbury preamp and phono stage £160 each.

Focal Shape 65 - £520 each

review - SoundStage! Simplifi | SoundStageSimplifi.com - Focal Shape 65 Analog Active Loudspeakers

This leaves a little for some stands.

You could save a bit going second hand as well.

here’s an interesting combo -

Arcam sr250, lots of g class power, smooth delivery and Dirac room correction £750 But worth a cheeky offer

Rega MM mk3 phono stage, should be less than £150

keep an eye on these Kef R500, small floor standers, should go for around £700, just on budget.

This is a £4k system when new.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I always take Joni Mitchell's Blue to any auditions and I also have a number of the artists that you have mentioned above. The reasons for taking Blue is Joni's highs on some of the tracks the beautiful piano playing. Good test of both amp and speakers keeping her highs under control and my Rega was very good at that.

Another vote for the Brio but I don't think it's got the stamina for LS50s and you would be better off with the Elex-R.

I’d strongly double recommend the Arcam SR250. Superb. And with Dirac, a revelation.

The DiracLive will take care of any and all room issues.

And these will be a delight

If ever a speaker was made for your tastes it’s the Regas.

both will come in healthily below budget.

If you’d prefer to stay with standmounts then these are quite special.

The Brio would make a strong starting point and for your quite focused taste in music I think you would struggle to better the Rega RX1 for a small speaker. This combination isn't ideal for larger scale music, but given your preference for acoustic jazz it will give you all the atmosphere you need.

Another strong option would be Arcam's excellent SA10 with Dali Oberon 1s - a very musical combination that will draw you into the music.

Can't help with your question but wanted to commend you on your profile image.

#mot #alaw #wafll #waccoe

I always take Joni Mitchell's Blue to any auditions and I also have a number of the artists that you have mentioned above. The reasons for taking Blue is Joni's highs on some of the tracks the beautiful piano playing. Good test of both amp and speakers keeping her highs under control and my Rega was very good at that.

Another vote for the Brio but I don't think it's got the stamina for LS50s and you would be better off with the Elex-R.
Rega Brio is a fine choice. A brilliant little amp and Rega’s pedigree with vinyl is second to none. I’m running my recently acquired Planar P1 through and I’m impressed so far.
Great - what speakers do you have?

If you’d prefer to stay with standmounts then these are quite special.

Thank you - these have had mounting plates screwed into the back of the cabinet & then been filled - is that a problem?

The Brio would make a strong starting point and for your quite focused taste in music I think you would struggle to better the Rega RX1 for a small speaker. This combination isn't ideal for larger scale music, but given your preference for acoustic jazz it will give you all the atmosphere you need.

Another strong option would be Arcam's excellent SA10 with Dali Oberon 1s - a very musical combination that will draw you into the music.
Thank you - that's useful

Great - what speakers do you have?
Rega Elicit-R and KEF R300s. The new R Serie would be the R3. Better all rounder than the LS50s in my extimation and my R300s also do surround work.

I’d give the Cyrus OneHd, Rega Brio, Yamaha 801, and a set of MA100 silver or speakers with a decent set of stands and cables. Lots of options in your price range, definitely test before buying.

Agree. The LS50 need to be driven with more than 50W to get the best out of them. Mine took a while to settle in.

The Klipsch speakers are thought to be very good for Jazz but make sure you audition before buying to make sure you get on with horn speakers.

Agree. The LS50 need to be driven with more than 50W to get the best out of them. Mine took a while to settle in.
I also agree. Perhaps the OP should look at a the LS50, rather than the LS50 Meta, especially if price is an issue. The LS50s have dropped from £800 to £600 (£550 ex-Demo) following the release of the LS50 Meta at £1000. The LS50 was fantastic value at £800/pair, still rolling off the shelves. They're mind-blowing value at £600/pair. The LS50 Meta is a superb speaker but is it really 67% better than the merely outstanding LS50 ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom