Best amp sound settings for DVD/SAT?

paulryan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I realise this is a somewhat personal preferrence but on receiving my new Yamaha AMP (HTR-5540RDS) i would just like to confirm that i am applying the best effect to the particular sound sources.

Essentially i am watching sources from DVD/SAT/VCR.
With DVDs i have migrated to the DD +/- Matrix6.1 setup
(and other effects dependant on title adventure/action etc)
with SAT i find 5.1 CH Stereo the best overall effect.
I'm also slightly confused by what DPL2 offers as most of the time it appears like 2ch stereo with some minor surround effects.

Would anyone care to share what they have found to work well ?

DPL II gives the effect of a 5.1 soundtrack, IMO best used on Sky and VCR recordings.

DVD: 5.1 /6.1 nuff said.

Personally don't like 5/7channel stereo or any of the DSP modes amps have, I select Direct/stereo for music.

Hi, I have the same amp, as part of the htib 45 set up.

what levels do you have your speakers set to? I'm asking, cos sometimes I have to turn the volume up and down on a film, and on some dvds, the speech is very weak

my centre is set at +8db

Cheers

Originally posted by el bandido
Hi, I have the same amp, as part of the htib 45 set up.

what levels do you have your speakers set to? I'm asking, cos sometimes I have to turn the volume up and down on a film, and on some dvds, the speech is very weak

my centre is set at +8db

Cheers
Due to room setup i currently have
Centre +4db
LR +4db
RR +3db

Generally if i am sticking to the same source i find the right volume at thats it, but when i am jumping SAT channels
i do find myself making a few adjustments due to the different broadcast qualitiy & volumes

Originally posted by el bandido

my centre is set at +8db

Cheers
Though you have the same amp, a lot of other factors come into the settings, size and shape of the the room, different speakers etc, so another members setting could/will be a lot different to your own.

A few soundtracks have dialogue that comes through on the weak side, so raising the centre channel a few 1db/2db will sort that out, if this occuring more often than not then a check on you speaker levels would be an idea. How have you set the levels? If it is by ear then you may have set the centre to low, a more accurate way is by SPL meter, this will ensure all levels are correct. Very cheap to buy and always handy to have for when you upgrade in the future.

Bob,

Can you recommend a cheap SPL meter ?

Hi paulryan,

This is where I purchased mine:

HARGARS who stock sound level meters made by radioshack.

Tel no. 01795-663336.

Analogue SLM cat no 33-2050 £24.99
Digital SLM cat no 33-2055 £39.99

I went for the digital one, just read the numbers in the LCD display, thought this was easier than reading a swinging needle. But either one is quite acceptable for HT setup/calibration and establishing safe listening levels.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom