Best amp for multi zone Yamaha RX-A3070 & 11.2 main zone

djmaloney@aries

Novice Member
Reaction score
My current setup is a 11.2 running out of Yahama RX-A3070 9.2 Dolby Atmos in the Ceiling & Front L/R out to a Yamaha WXA-50. The mistake here is obviously pairing the Yamaha WXA-50 with this system. My speakers are definitive Technology pro cinema 800 series + a couple Bose Bookshelf speakers I am using for the L/R surround speakers.

I am wanting to replace the WXA-50 with something more appropriate. Yamaha states in their user manual that any external amplifier needs to be a minimum of 100 watts. I am looking for something that will put out 150 watts per channel and power my 2 front & 4 Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling with the external amp. This should allow me to run an additional 2 zones from the RX-A3070.

With all that said, I am looking for some recommendations on the best approach to make this happen. I don’t need or want another receiver, I already made that mistake with the WXA-50. Any recommendations on amplifiers, pre-amps, etc… would like to stick with Yamaha if possible, although I noticed many home sound enthusiast don’t care much for Yamaha. I do like their products and have had really good experiences using them.

I have posted the audio specs of the receiver & speakers that I have discussed. Eventually will be upgrading from the Definitive Technology speakers to a much higher end speaker system and using the DT in my other Zones. I am an amateur when it comes to putting a sound system together. But I do know what I like. I am trying to bring the true big screen theater sound experience into my home. What I have, sounds ok, but I know with a few more $$$ it can sound much better.

Any and all input and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

RX-A3070 (Audio) Specifications​

• Rated Output Power (2-channel driven) [RX-A3070]
(20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 6 Ω)
Front L/R ...................................................................... 165 W+165 W Center ...................................................................................... 165 W Surround L/R ............................................................... 165 W+165 W Surround Back L/R ...................................................... 165 W+165 W Front Presence L/R......................................................165 W+165 W (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 Ω)
Front L/R ...................................................................... 150 W+150 W Center ...................................................................................... 150 W Surround L/R ............................................................... 150 W+150 W Surround Back L/R ...................................................... 150 W+150 W Front Presence L/R......................................................150 W+150 W (1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 8 Ω)
Front L/R ...................................................................... 165 W+165 W Center ......................................................................................165 W Surround L/R ............................................................... 165 W+165 W Surround Back L/R ...................................................... 165 W+165 W Front Presence L/R......................................................165 W+165 W

Speaker Technical Specifications​

ProMonitor 800 (4 each)​

• Driver Complement: One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; One 4-1/2" BDSS bass/midrange drivers; One 4-1/2" pressure coupled bass radiator
  • Frequency Response: 57 Hz – 30 kHz
  • Impedance: Compatible with 8 Ohm outputs
  • Sensitivity: 89 dB
  • Recommended Associated Amplifier Power: 10 – 150 watts
  • A/V Receiver Crossover Setting: 100 Hz
  • Inputs: One pair of 5 way binding posts
  • Dimensions: 4-3/4" W x 5" D x 8-3/8" H (12.1 x 12.7 x 23.8 cm)
  • Weight: 4 lbs (1.8 k)

ProCenter 1000 (1 each)​

• Driver Complement: One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; Two 4-1/2" BDSS upper bass/midrange drivers; Two 4-1/2" pressure coupled bass radiators
  • Frequency Response: 47 Hz – 30 kHz
  • Impedance: Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
  • Sensitivity: 90 dB
  • Recommended Associated Amplifier Power: 10 – 200 watts
  • A/V Receiver Crossover Setting: 80 Hz
  • Inputs: One pair of 5 way binding posts
  • Dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 5" D x 5" H (37.5 x 12.7 x 12.7 cm)
  • Weight: 6 lbs (2.7 kg)

ProSub 800 (1 each)​

• Driver Complement: One high-definition 8" woofer pressure coupled to one 8" low bass radiator
  • Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 150 Hz
  • Internal Amplifier Power: 300 watts
  • Auto On / Off: Signal Sensing
  • Power Requirements: 110 - 120 volts Alternating Current
  • High Level Inputs: Two pairs of 5 way binding posts
  • High Level Outputs: Two pairs of 5 way binding posts
  • Low Level Inputs: One LFE input (for SW preout only)
  • High Pass Crossover: Non Variable 6 dB/octave @ 80 Hz (Available only with high level inputs and outputs)
  • Low Pass Crossover: 24 dB/octave, continuously variable from 40 Hz – 150 Hz (Available with high level inputs only)
  • Dimensions: 10-5/16" W x 15-3/4" D x 12-7/8" H (26.2 x 40.0 x 32.7 cm)
  • Weight: 26 lbs (11.8 kg)

What configuration are you planning to use for main room? 7.2.4?

Check you manual but I don't think you can use 11.2 processing for one zone and two additional zones.
Screenshot_20210809-200855.jpg

Check you manual but I don't think you can use 11.2 processing for one zone and two additional zones. View attachment 1553110
The 3070 has 11 processors, if I offloaded 5 channels onto another amp for the main zone, shouldn’t that open up 5 channels on 3070 for 2 additional zones? I was thinking about adding something like this.

Last edited:
I'm happy to be corrected but it is 11 channels processing at one time. See the second photo - that shows all the combinations available.

The speaker output and pre-outs are linked, you can't configure them independently.

I think you could put WXA into another room and use musiccast to stream to it, maybe buy a separate integrated amp for third room.

Check you manual but I don't think you can use 11.2 processing for one zone and two additional zones. View attachment 1553110
I planned on keeping 11.2 in my main room. I had all the wiring done a couple years ago. My house was built in 1955, so this was an expensive project. All wiring now runs behind the walls or in the ceiling to a central input/ output panel located next to the fireplace where I also installed my enclosed audio rack with integrated cooling and APC. I am just looking to setup the rest of the house using the multi zone application Yamaha is known for and when executed properly, is a perfect setup for someone on a budget.

I'm happy to be corrected but it is 11 channels processing at one time. See the second photo - that shows all the combinations available.

The speaker output and pre-outs are linked, you can't configure them independently.

I think you could put WXA into another room and use musiccast to stream to it, maybe buy a separate integrated amp for third room.
According to the specs of this amplifier, I should be able to link, or offload some channels from the 3070 to this amp to accomplish what I am wanting to do. The 3070 has 8 HDMI Inputs & 2 HDMI Outputs. This makes me believe that the engineers who designed this AVR intended it to be expanded into at a minimum of 2 home theater areas. I guess I will contact Yamaha and getting them to assist me with my audio design ideas and layout; just to make sure everything will work as I would like it to.

XDA-QS5400RK MusicCast Multi-Room Streaming Amplifier (4 Zone, 8 Channel)​

Specially designed for custom integration of whole home audio systems, the "QS" (Quad Streamer) provides four zones of audio streaming and eight channels of high-performance audio amplification in an ultra-slim, 1U-high, rack-mountable enclosure. Expandable and extremely flexible, the QS works with the MusicCast multi-room audio system, allowing it to be linked with home theater AV receivers, sound bars and Hi-Fi gear in a wide variety of configurations.
  • Designed for custom integration of a MusicCast multi-room audio system connected via Ethernet LAN in a rack or cabinet
  • Streams four zones of audio per unit, expandable to 32 zones with simultaneous playback in linked groups of up to 20 zones each
  • Eight channels of audiophile-grade Class D amplification assignable to any zone, bridgeable and 4-ohm capable, featuring a unique ground loop/hum-free circuit design
  • Built-in Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, SiriusXM Music for Business, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more, plus access to music libraries and linked external sources
  • Easy control via a free MusicCast app and 3rd-party control systems
  • 1U-high, rack-wide enclosure; removable rack ears and faceplate included

Please see attachment from manual regarding the available configurations....you can't have the max channels in main zone and simultaneously have zones 2 and 3 active.

I'm running main zone 5.1.2 and zone 2 as 2.0. Thus only using 9 channels of processing. Look through your manual for various options.
Screenshot_20210809-201535.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom