Best amp for Canton?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ruth11, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    We currently have a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE non-HD amp running our Canton speakers, but having just upgraded to the PDP-LX6090 and Sky+HD, it's definitely time to upgrade the amp.

Looking at sub £1000, preferably more like the £600-800 mark, unless there is significant difference to be found slightly higher.

We don't need LAN capability, needs to be at least 7.1 and support all the new HD audio. Only really need 1 HDMI out as well.

We have Canton speakers - 4 CD10's, 2 CD100s, 1 CD50 and the matching sub that I can't remember or find the model of. Currently we're only setup for 5.1 in the main living room, with 2 of the CD10s being in the kitchen on channel B on the amp.

Am totally confused as to whether to go Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha or what. Will we get what we want from an amp below £800? Is there much difference, for example, between the LX51 and LX71 from Pioneer? We are not audiophiles in any way, but we would like our BluRay disks to really up good (played on PS3 not a dedicated BluRay player).

Can anyone out there with Canton's tell us what they went for and why?

Thanks

2. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I guess I should at least try to narrow it down a bit.

At the moment, we're currently swaying towards the Pioneers - either the LX51 or the LX71. But I've just been reading some very good things about the Yamaha RXV1900 as well. I guess the question is, is the LX71 worth the extra couple of hundred quid over the Yammy and the LX51? Apart from a bit more power, is there much else difference? I'm going to continue reading but if anyone has any advice on these it would be much appreciated

Thanks