Best American fridge/freezer for around £1000?

steven gerrard

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, my 18 year old Samsung American fridge/freezer just stopped working yesterday. So i'm in the market for a new one. I've been reading around and seems like i should get one with a dual compressor instead of a single compressor?

I've read lots of reviews and been looking on youtube for reviews but it's abit of a minefield with all the model numbers out there!

I was going to go Samsung again but after looking at the reviews it seems that samsung and LG have more problems these days.

Any experts in the house? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Which? Is still placing Samsungs’ in the top Best Buy slots. Not got one myself but I can dig a bit deeper into the reports.

Thanks mate, i did check the Which? website but you have to have a subscription. Any chance you can have a look for me please?

I'd really appreciate it!

What is the capacity that you are looking for? and any size constraints?

The top 8 best buys are all samsungs with ratings varying, less than wildly, from 86% to 85% and prices ranging from 1400-2500K to give you an idea so what were you looking to budget for?

Then next highest on the list are Hisense (83%) and logik (83%).

Also, the Which reviews don't spcify the number and type of comressors the units have.

What is the capacity that you are looking for? and any size constraints?

The top 8 best buys are all samsungs with ratings varying, less than wildly, from 86% to 85% and prices ranging from 1400-2500K to give you an idea so what were you looking to budget for?

Then next highest on the list are Hisense (83%) and logik (83%).

Also, the Which reviews don't spcify the number and type of comressors the units have.
Thanks

Our current capacity was:
Gross capacity: 555 litres
Fridge capacity: 346 litres
Freezer capacity: 186 litres

Size was 176 x 91 x 71

Ideally want something around the same size as it was a struggle to get it through the door frame as it was (we had to remove the doors to get it in and it was a tight squeeze)

Budget was around £1000 but may stretch a little more if it comes highly recommended

Thanks

The cheapest best buy Samsung is the RS68N8230 and is £1,249 with a Which rating of 86% so that max's the American freezer rating. It's dual fridge/freezer compressor. The only hitch is it's bigger at 178 x 92 x 75 although the capacity is up at 407L fridge 210L freezer (Which also gives the usable space 317L and 152L).

Also that's priced for stainless black, silver seems to be pricier.

The highest scoring best buy at about £1000 is the Hisense RQ689N4AC1 (83%) 181 x 92 x 73 but stock seems limited.

Another to look for around that price point is the Haier HTF-540DP7 (78%) 190 x 92 x 66.

But your right, the more you look the more confusing it becomes. I've basically culled from the highest scores at the price point and that Samsung is about the highest scoring samsung model at the most reasonable price point.

Plumbed or unplumbed?

I bought this 2 weeks ago.

The best value, unplumbed with an ice-machine on the market imo with the research I did. We love it.

The cheapest best buy Samsung is the RS68N8230 and is £1,249 with a Which rating of 86% so that max's the American freezer rating. It's dual fridge/freezer compressor. The only hitch is it's bigger at 178 x 92 x 75 although the capacity is up at 407L fridge 210L freezer (Which also gives the usable space 317L and 152L).

Also that's priced for stainless black, silver seems to be pricier.

The highest scoring best buy at about £1000 is the Hisense RQ689N4AC1 (83%) 181 x 92 x 73 but stock seems limited.

Another to look for around that price point is the Haier HTF-540DP7 (78%) 190 x 92 x 66.

But your right, the more you look the more confusing it becomes. I've basically culled from the highest scores at the price point and that Samsung is about the highest scoring samsung model at the most reasonable price point.

Thanks so much for that. I'm going to measure the door frame again and see if we could squeeze that RS68N8230 in. I fear 75cm depth might be too much. It's hard to know because it is possible once you take the doors off but then knowing the depth/thickness of the door is important too!

I've read bad things about Haier and how its a cheap chinese junk brand, but ill look into more. Along with that Hisense one.

I was ideally trying to buy from John Lewis because they have a 5 year gaurantee offer on right now. Which gives you more peace of mind.

Are there any reviews for the

Samsung RS50N3413BC?​

Cheers

Plumbed or unplumbed?

I bought this 2 weeks ago.

The best value, unplumbed with an ice-machine on the market imo with the research I did. We love it.

Thanks. We are looking for a Plumbed version mate, don't suppose you came across anything good in your research when you did it?

That LG does look nice and is within the dimensions of my current one and it has good capacity

Thanks for your reply

Thanks. We are looking for a Plumbed version mate, don't suppose you came across anything good in your research when you did it?

That LG does look nice and is within the dimensions of my current one and it has good capacity

Thanks for your reply
This is basically the plumbed version of mine.

Thanks so much for that. I'm going to measure the door frame again and see if we could squeeze that RS68N8230 in. I fear 75cm depth might be too much. It's hard to know because it is possible once you take the doors off but then knowing the depth/thickness of the door is important too!

I've read bad things about Haier and how its a cheap chinese junk brand, but ill look into more. Along with that Hisense one.

I was ideally trying to buy from John Lewis because they have a 5 year gaurantee offer on right now. Which gives you more peace of mind.

Are there any reviews for the

Samsung RS50N3413BC?​

Cheers
On the which test there are better, it’s at 64%. With the freezer Sluggish to get down to temp. I’ve a haier washing machine, not bad but I can see why people may be wary. But how many products aren’t made in China these days :)

This is basically the plumbed version of mine.

Thanks mate, i went on AO live chat but unfortunately they only offer 2 year gaurantee and i wanted to extend mine to 5 for peace of mind. Currys dont have it in stock for 3 weeks and i needed something sooner

Can i ask where you did most of your research before you bought one?

On the which test there are better, it’s at 64%. With the freezer Sluggish to get down to temp. I’ve a haier washing machine, not bad but I can see why people may be wary. But how many products aren’t made in China these days :)
Thanks David, i won't be going for that one then. True about China, but i'd read they use cheap components in the fridges and it kind of put me off.

My big problem now is stock levels at currys or John lewis, who both offer a 5 year guarantee on some models. They hardly have any for the decent models. I've read up on so many models today but the wait time is so long or they dont have stock!

I am going to keep reading up, so i may ask for your help once again :)

I wouldn't get hung up on a 5 year warranty - Currys one isn't worth the paper it's not written on. The JL one is better. If a fridge is going to go wrong from a manufacturing fault it's most likely to do that early on, so 2 year warranty is fine.

Stock is a major problem at the moment so I'd just buy where you can get the model you want from. Currys have form for selling you a product 'available in the next 2 weeks' which then stretches out for months......speaking from experience on that one, and never again!

Thanks mate, i went on AO live chat but unfortunately they only offer 2 year gaurantee and i wanted to extend mine to 5 for peace of mind. Currys dont have it in stock for 3 weeks and i needed something sooner

Can i ask where you did most of your research before you bought one?
There was only a very limited number of items which fit the bill for us. Around £1000, unplumbed with an ice machine. So I found a few and decided to buy the Beko. That was delivered faulty so decided to go for the LG. It really is a gorgeous machine.

I wouldn't get hung up on a 5 year warranty - Currys one isn't worth the paper it's not written on. The JL one is better. If a fridge is going to go wrong from a manufacturing fault it's most likely to do that early on, so 2 year warranty is fine.

Stock is a major problem at the moment so I'd just buy where you can get the model you want from. Currys have form for selling you a product 'available in the next 2 weeks' which then stretches out for months......speaking from experience on that one, and never again!

Yeah, i know what you mean. I went with argos in the end and bought this one:

5 year warrant, comes highly rated, and Argos have been pretty good in the past. So i hope its good!

There was only a very limited number of items which fit the bill for us. Around £1000, unplumbed with an ice machine. So I found a few and decided to buy the Beko. That was delivered faulty so decided to go for the LG. It really is a gorgeous machine.

Thanks mate, went with the samsung in the end, hopefully its decent!

Well, if this helps ease the pain of the outlay, this is the final summary of the Which report for that specific model:

Should I buy it?​

Absolutely. This Samsung fridge freezer may be pricey, but it's among the best American-style models we've seen.

Well, if this helps ease the pain of the outlay, this is the final summary of the Which report for that specific model:

Should I buy it?​

Absolutely. This Samsung fridge freezer may be pricey, but it's among the best American-style models we've seen.

Thanks mate, i did see it had good reviews so thought it was worth the extra amount.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom