1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best alternative to Sony 36 inch FS70

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have had my Sony KV-36FS70 for 6 months or so, and whilst I have been generally happy, like a lot of people I have had 'geometry' problems.

One of which is 'staining' on the tube.. More visable when the screen is white.

It also got some other issues and I decided to arrange a service call.

The engineers opinion is that the tube is faulty and replacing the tube wouldn't be wise (I wouldn't accept that either).

My supplier (Empire Direct) now wants it in so their engineers can confirm the fault.

WHilst its going to be hard for me to demonstrate the problem when they are 300 miles away, I am still confident that I will get them to agree that there are faults.

I hope that they will agree to swap the set.. But, should I stick with the Sony or is there something else which rivals it?

I am even open to spending more and upgrading. Whats out there which is worth considering?

Is the Sony still the best? If I was completely honest, I have never been over impressed with it.

Any info would be appreciated

Jon

2. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion the only set to come close to the Sony is the new Toshiba 36ZP18P. I have one of these sets and it is excellent. Read the excellent reviews in What Video & TV and Home Cinema Choice.

3. Steve Thackery

Steve Thackery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba ZP18P was the worst of the 36" TVs I looked at when choosing mine. I couldn't get enough detail out of the blacks - it looked like it needed a dose of gamma correction.

Funny how perceptions differ so much, isn't it?

My advice would be to choose the one you like the picture on most!

Steve Thackery

4. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a successful fix which involves 5 data changes in the design mode menu which affect the “Black level Extender” circuit. See previous threads.This improves the detail in shadows.