• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best 'all round' TV? 65"

x3j3UKN

Prominent Member
Hey guys, needle in a haystack here!

I have been asked by one of the owners at my job to source a TV for his wife's disabled brother.

The only information I have been given is it needs to be 65" He will be using Sky but also wants to have smart TV functions & that it will be wall mounted...

Not a lot to go on! What is good these days? budget will prob be in the mid range but if its slightly higher owing to better features etc then I am sure they will go for it.

Please any help will be really appreciated!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
That's nothing to go as you've just described features every TV has, whether it's a £250 supermarket special or a £3K OLED.

You need better information.

Do they need wide viewing angles or are they viewing near head-on?
What Sky package do they have and what other sources are there, Bluray/Netflix, etc and what packages?
Will they be watching any UHD content and need/expect good HDR?
Will they be watching much SD content?
Is it a bright room?

Most importantly ... budget.

If they can't give you that info, then we can't really help and as they've given you nothing to go on I'd probably either

a/ Buy anything, who cares? They don't seem to.
b/ Sack it off as it's not your job.

x3j3UKN

Prominent Member
That's nothing to go as you've just described features every TV has, whether it's a £250 supermarket special or a £3K OLED.

You need better information.

Do they need wide viewing angles or are they viewing near head-on?
What Sky package do they have and what other sources are there, Bluray/Netflix, etc and what packages?
Will they be watching any UHD content and need/expect good HDR?
Will they be watching much SD content?
Is it a bright room?

Most importantly ... budget.

If they can't give you that info, then we can't really help and as they've given you nothing to go on I'd probably either

a/ Buy anything, who cares? They don't seem to.
b/ Sack it off as it's not your job.
Ok, I have now been given a little more info!

Due to his disability the viewing will be head on
Sky will be the standard HD package, no UHD, nor any other external sources
Netflix etc will be Sky Q or via the Smart TV apps

Budget again midrange, but I would be happy to put forward a couple of options varying in price of £2-300 if its going to be worth it.

Any ideas?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If they're not watching UHD content then there's no need to spend too much as that is really what most higher-end TV's are offering for the money.

You're really, getting/giving the bare minimum of information here and it's hard to make an educated guess.

Something like this will probably do fine. 6yr warranty if you sign up to the (free) VIP club, 5 years without. Same TV and warranty at the same price also at John Lewis.

Plus, if it's not right and you buy online, it can be returned. You can spend more but you'd need to spend nearly triple to get good HDR performance and it doesn't look like they need it.

Dodgexander

TVs are really expensive to buy now, so I can't really make any recommendations.

Hisense are about the only company not inflating their newly released TV prices so much, the U7Q is the budget king, whilst the more expensive U8Q is more useful if you want better motion and HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom