1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best all Round Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob D, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a projector that can be used for presentations and DVD playback via component.
    This will be used in an environment with alot of different people so LCD will be used, looking to spend upto £3000 with a ceiling mount.

I had a trawl through quiet a few posts but can't really find an answer.

Anyone use their projector for work?

Regards, Rob.

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Try the Mitsubishi HC9000E I think you can pick one up for £1800 or less. It has a variable brightness/contrast setting so you can have it in presentation mode with a brightness of 1500 ansi lumens or a cinema mode with a contrast of 4000:1 ! Obviously not both at the same time. Inputs include DVI, component, S-Video, composite. Shop around the net for the best deals.

3. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the new Sony HS50 but unsure of it's display from a PC, is the Mitsu a good projector?

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The Sony looks to be a fantastic Home Cinema projector, but I'm not too sure of it's pc/presentation capabilities. The Mitsubishi is brighter and may suit your dual role needs better.

5. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the Mitsu DLP?

Can't take the risk with rainbows on movies with 100+ people watching.

Would like to know what the Sony HS20 or HS50 is like at PC presentations.

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    The Sony HS20 with Iris OFF and high lamp mode, is very bright.
    I think it would be quite suitable as a business projector.

With Iris ON and low lamp mode, its also a damn fine HC projector.

I'm looking to sell my HS20 soon (only used it for 60 hours!) and replace it with the more H/C capable HS50.
    However I don't think the HS50 would cut it as a business projector.

7. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BenQ 8700 imho

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    OK, try these models:
    Canon XEED SX50 - £2800, SXGA ( 1400x1050), 2500 ansi lumens, 1000:1 contrast
    Epson Dreamio EMP-TW200 - £1700, 1280x720 res, 1300ansi lumens, 800:1 contrast

Both are LCD models. The problem with LCD is that they tend to be at the lower end of the market nowadays. Once you get to £3k, most projectors are DLP. The cheaper LCDs are good at one thing and not the other, either they are bright and do PC/presentations well, or they have high contrast and are dim, but handle home cinema well. The two options above I think handle the compromise the best.

9. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have used NEC PJ's for presentations/dvd movie promos in lighted environments.

Around £3K - NEC MT1065 LCD XGA 3200 ANSI Lumens 5.8kg.

Epson TW500 aimed at home cinema but may be an option, possibly not bright enough unless you have semi light controlled room WXGA 1000 ANSI Lumens 6.2kg.

Epson, Toshiba and Sanyo are strong in this area (LCD PJ's for business) - at least a dozen models to choose from - I only have experience with the Z1 and Z3.

Gus

10. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I second the BenQ8700 recommendation, as I have one, nice and bright as a data projector and an excellent movie projector as well. I'm not sure you need to worry about rainbows with the HD2+ DLPs as the colour wheel is spinning pretty quickly and tends to have more segments than the lesser DLPs. The BenQ, the cheapest HD2+ by about £1000, has a six segment wheel and other HD2+ models have seven and eight segment wheels. Of course I could be wrong, but I've never seen rainbows and most of the reports are associated with the lower end of the DLP market.

Another option is the, now £2500, InFocus 7200 which may be even brighter than the BenQ and although the DLP chip is older I'm not sure how great the difference is.

Cheers

Simon