Best all round 3 and 4 megapixel cams

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Kefka, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Kefka

Kefka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get a 3 or 4 megapixel cam. I'm looking for one that has good photo quality but also decent movie features. The size of the camera doesn't really matter to me. So which are the best buys in the 3 and 4 megapixel categories?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Most 3-4 MP cameras have strenghth and weaknesses, so it all depends on what you are looking to use the camera for.
    Most of the small compact digicams are good for sticking in a pocket, on a belt etc so you can always carry them around. Larger SLR type digicams give more manual control and have much better lenses, which gives a better quality picture.

Let us know your budget & the type of use of the camera (ie children playing, sport, bands on stage etc.) and we can give our views on to go for.
    Movies on a digicam are ok, but I would never say they were good! They getr captured at low resolution so they will fit on a memory card. The memory cards can only write the data at a fairly slow speed, preventing high quality video capture. If video is of high importance to you then it might be better for you to get a DV camcorder as most of the newer models can capture fairly high quality still pictures to a memory card.

Mark.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    canon A70 or Minolta S414

both great cameras, and you will not be disapointed !

4. warpedmind

warpedmind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second the cannon A70
    lots of features and a complete novice can pick it up take great pictures and the camera will take you through to expert level

5. Kefka

Kefka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The max i can spend on the cam itself is about 400 pounds. I've had a look around and i quite like the Canon Ixus 400 and the Canon Powershot A70. I'd use the cam mostly for taking photos of people, scenery, indoors and outdoors. Do you think it's worth spending extra for 4 megapixels?

6. warpedmind

warpedmind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion NO i only got my A70 a few days ago from empire direct for 226 pounds ive printed out from passport size upto A4 and i can say i wont be looking for anything bigger for quiet a while the test will come when i recieve my underwater housing and take it down to 30metres but im only a beginner most of these guys live and die cameras so listen to them and take there advice as it will help you.:smashin:

7. EV@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got the Minolta S414 for both my Dad and me, and have to say I am very impressed with it. It a 4mp camera and compared to the A70 it is quite bulky but feels solid. The S414 retails for £300 but I got mine for £250 from Jessops using price match.
    I think the S414 is a superb camera for the money and give's very good results even in Auto mode which even my 11yr old cousin can easily use and get amazing results.
    I have also used the A70 which is 3.2mp but it can still do picture's just as good as the 4mp S414 under most conditions, although the S414 has the edge in some conditions like night time shooting. So don't get to hung up on amount of MP anything over 3.2 is going to give very good results depending on how good the camera is.
    Either way as long as you come here for advice first I don't think you can go far wrong with any decision you make.
    I've heard the Ixus 400 is very good although I've never tried one myself.
    Also look at the Fujifilm F601 I've been told this has a good movie mode although as MarkE19 pointed out Digital camera's are not ideal for movie capture.
    I'm looking through a Jessops catalogue as I write this and for £400 there is a fantastic choice of camera's!! I would not like to make your decision!

Evo

P.S anyone familiar with the Fujifilm F410? as my cousin is intrested in a compact camera and the F410 looks very good?

8. ozzyo99

ozzyo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a brand new Fujifilm F601 Zoom camera, with 128mb and an additional 16mb card along with a case.

All brand new, fully boxed with all leads etc, its 3 weeks old.

With the camera you can take almost 600 seconds of quality footage (with sound) which i can demonstrate.

If your interested in buying it send me an email: [email protected], shipping isnt a problem.

They retail at £350-400 and possibly looking for around £320 with the additional 128mb (£35-40) and case (£10-15).

Leave it with you...

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kefka, another view on the "3M vs 4M". Its worth the extra for more detail as it gives you more scope for cropping to get the perfect picture.

If you like the look of the canon A range, then its worth looking at the S range. They have similar set uo but more manual control, more white balance control, ability to save in RAW, and a couple of toys on top (such as sampled function noises, mine (S45 which I think is around £330 now) is set to make chimp noises!!!).

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd second the S45 at £330.

I'd also check out the Olympus C4000 as this is a £400 camera that is now available at a bargain £280 ish. Not small but it has an excellent (and fast f2.8) lens - very low distortion compared to many others. It's not the fastest to write apparently but the results are more than worth the slight wait.

The Minolta S414 is also great value at £250 ish but I think if it were my money I'd spend the extra £30 or so on the Olympus.

Matt.

11. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Kefka

Kefka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanx for all the advice everyone! I finally decided to go for the Canon Ixus 400. Got it for £370 from Jessops with price matching. Already spent a week with it on holiday and it has been really impressive. Images are really clear and sharp and it's small dimensions and weight really help when you're trekking about all day :). Another good thing is that compact flash memory is quite cheap, i got a 256mb card from Crucial for £38 including p&p. Gotta admit it does have limited manual functions but it's perfect for a starter digicam. Maybe i'll look for a digicam with more manual functions when i get better at taking good photos but i think i'll be keeping the Ixus for a few good years!

Kefka.

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My friend as just bought the 400 for me (with my money) from jessops today for £335 on price match. I can't wait until he gets home:)

14. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass