Best Action Movies in the World ...ever! that you should watch

Also, I mentioned Police Story in my list. ;)

Apologies, should have just put 2-3. Damn, talking about them makes me want to rewatch 3 as I saw the other two on Eureka recently but the third I haven't seen since importing the BD what feels like a decade ago.

I also thing that we're blurring the lines here with genres, as Mad Max Fury Road is as much sci-fi/fantasy as something like T2 isn't it? Hence why I chipped in MM1-3
As I’d made a case for Armageddon, I couldn’t really argue against someone using the same argument for Mad Max, equally therefore any of the original Mad Max have to be accepted. But if we move onto Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy movies in the World Ever, they could legitimately dual-list.

And if we've got Hobbs and bloody Shaw in there there's zero reason not to include all the other FF sequels beyond (but not including) 3: 4, 6, 7 and 8. Some the best big budget action out there. I'd probably stick MI2 in there for completeness too, it's the most 'action' of all the films, and it is Woo, after all.
I might re-edit the list and group mini franchises as one entry. Originally I said each film had to be justified on its own merits, but with FF, Indy, Die Hard, MM etc, most people like them all.

Maybe rather than a title of the best action films in the world.. which imo should require a vote.. what about we re-name to:
Great action films that every fan (of action films) should watch? o_O :lesson:

Apologies, should have just put 2-3. Damn, talking about them makes me want to rewatch 3 as I saw the other two on Eureka recently but the third I haven't seen since importing the BD what feels like a decade ago.

Its awesome - just pure action escapism without the overwrought melodrama between Chan and Maggie Cheung in the first two. The addition of Michelle Yeoh - basically an almost female mirror image of Chan - was a genius move, and their interplay is often hilarious.

Its awesome - just pure action escapism without the overwrought melodrama between Chan and Maggie Cheung in the first two. The addition of Michelle Yeoh - basically an almost female mirror image of Chan - was a genius move, and their interplay is often hilarious.
I was trying to find a Blu-ray set at the weekend, but you can only get 1&2 other than paying £50+ for an Asian import on eBay. 1&2 are in my Amazon Saved List.

I was trying to find a Blu-ray set at the weekend, but you can only get 1&2 other than paying £50+ for an Asian import on eBay. 1&2 are in my Amazon Saved List.

It’s more affordable from here (and quite a few on the forums have bought from them):

I’ve not bought anything yet personally.

Three pages deep and no one has said Big Trouble in Little China? No write up needed. It speaks for itself :p

Three pages deep and no one has said Big Trouble in Little China? No write up needed. It speaks for itself :p

The OP’s criteria was:

2. They must be Action Movies in purest form ... no Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero in this thread.

BTILC has many elements of fantasy. ;)

I think Waterworld has epic (practical) action set pieces.

It’s more affordable from here (and quite a few on the forums have bought from them):

I’ve not bought anything yet personally.
Thanks, call it mild OCD or Collectormania, but the fact you can get 1&3 and not 2 bothers me. I could get the Eureka 1&2 set, and 3 from them, but then it would bother me there’s a better version of 1. I assume 4 is not recommended? I’d still need to get it though.

And Faster? Damn, The Rundown or his recent Welcome to the Jungles are much better in the action category...
@Casimir Harlow Whilst updating the list, I realised I've never heard of The Rundown and it isn't on IMDB?

Also did you mean Jumanji WTTJ which I think are strictly fantasy or the 2003 Rock movie with Sean William Scott?

I think Waterworld has epic (practical) action set pieces.
Hmm, tough one, but I think I'll need to accept it, as I've made an exception for Armageddon and Mad Max, based on future-set stories with realistic non-fantasy tech.

Just been watching Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile!

Aaaand I'm not adding them to the list.

Any other votes for these?

After a Tidy UP we now have 95 in the list.

@Casimir Harlow Whilst updating the list, I realised I've never heard of The Rundown and it isn't on IMDB?

Also did you mean Jumanji WTTJ which I think are strictly fantasy or the 2003 Rock movie with Sean William Scott?
The Rundown with the Rock and Sean William Scott was also titled Welcome to the Jungle in other markets, my first copy was Welcome to the Jungle.

Everything that has made mention of already including anything - Jackie Chan has made from the 80s/90s.

Both really fun films. They’re not gonna trouble the Indy series on the action stakes though are they.

Thanks, call it mild OCD or Collectormania, but the fact you can get 1&3 and not 2 bothers me. I could get the Eureka 1&2 set, and 3 from them, but then it would bother me there’s a better version of 1. I assume 4 is not recommended? I’d still need to get it though.

Hi scrowe,

Sorry for the late reply. If you are intent on buying these films, my recommendation would be to go for the Eureka 1&2 set. They are pretty comprehensive in terms of the PQ and extras:

Although stranger things have happened, I believe its a rights issue which is stopping Eureka/other current UK boutique label releasing PS3 onto UK blu-ray for the forseeable, so the HK Rescue disc might be the best option for Part 3 (along with Eureka for 1 and 2).

Part 4 is difficult to get on Blu-ray as far as I’m aware (although not actually checked). I have an international cut on DVD and a longer Japanese cut on dvd (might even be VCD!). I’ve never sought to get it on blu ray for some reason.

As for the film itself - whilst the first 3 has a lot of trademark Chan humour (And this takes getting used if you‘re not used to a certain style in Hong Kong movies, often veering from humour to serious melodrama from scene to scene) - Part 4, or First Strike, is much more of a knockabout action comedy in the vein of his US outings like Rush Hour. It is still a lot of fun, with the usual great set pieces and stunts, but its more of a Bond homage, and feels more of a departure from the orginal three films.

Just been watching Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile!

Aaaand I'm not adding them to the list.

Jewel meh. Romancing the Stone is a teriffic movie though. Sure its got Action but I dont really see it as an Action movie.

Jewel meh. Romancing the Stone is a teriffic movie though. Sure its got Action but I dont really see it as an Action movie.

It’s more of an adventure/comedy caper movie rather than a full on action one.

Hi scrowe,

Sorry for the late reply. If you are intent on buying these films, my recommendation would be to go for the Eureka 1&2 set. They are pretty comprehensive in terms of the PQ and extras:

Although stranger things have happened, I believe its a rights issue which is stopping Eureka/other current UK boutique label releasing PS3 onto UK blu-ray for the forseeable, so the HK Rescue disc might be the best option for Part 3 (along with Eureka for 1 and 2).

Part 4 is difficult to get on Blu-ray as far as I’m aware (although not actually checked). I have an international cut on DVD and a longer Japanese cut on dvd (might even be VCD!). I’ve never sought to get it on blu ray for some reason.

As for the film itself - whilst the first 3 has a lot of trademark Chan humour (And this takes getting used if you‘re not used to a certain style in Hong Kong movies, often veering from humour to serious melodrama from scene to scene) - Part 4, or First Strike, is much more of a knockabout action comedy in the vein of his US outings like Rush Hour. It is still a lot of fun, with the usual great set pieces and stunts, but its more of a Bond homage, and feels more of a departure from the orginal three films.
And how is the Supercop 2 movie spinoff, with just Michelle Yeoh?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom