1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best A/V & DVD recording setup with Sky+?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Sulis, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've finally persuaded the missus that we can do a decent AV setup without it looking tacky or costing the earth. Although we do watch the odd DVD (through the kids' X-box) almost all our telly is Sky+ (movies, Alias, CSI, CeeBeebies, Top Gear and Grand Designs!). What's the most cost-effective system to get a decent picture and sound (and sound for the odd CD as well)?

My rough plan so far is (doing as much as possible through av-sales):

Panny PW6 42" (SD) - cheap and simple (OR: Sharp 3700 monitor - haven't seen one in action yet)

5 x Orb Audio speakers (imported from States) + REL stampede

Harmony 655 remote

I'd like a DVD-recorder to dump stuff from the SKY+ to and to act as a decent player. I've heard that it's a lot easier to do that with a HD DVD recorder. If that's right then the Panny E85 or Tosh XS32 look good - any others?

The main issue is the AV receiver/amp: which is going to make the most out of the SKY+ signal/sound? Do I need to use the JS RGB-VGA box - in which case can I economise on the amp? The Yamaha AX750 and the Denon 2805/3805 look good - do I need the audio delay compensation, though?

We don't need earth-shattering sound, just precision and clarity (especially in the vocals). Is there anything else that will improve the SKY+ picture (and which doesn't cost a fortune)?

Sorry there are so many questions - thanks for any help.

2. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever get to see the Sharp LC-3700 LCD Screen?