Best 92"-100" for X3

pjanjua

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have only ever had one screen a panoview 92" (thought was tab tensioned but having seen one, know it isnt) in matte white

Having now decided on getting the X3 i want to upgrade my screen.

Only downside is im spending most of my budget on the PJ and know it will do a misjustice to PJ buying a crappy screen but at this moment cant afford a 2K tab tensioned beauty so have to make do with what i can afford which is anything upto £400.

Could anyone point me in the right direction and also best type of screen,matte white,grey,glass bead etc....

thanks all :thumbsup:

P.s would much prefer to buy new

Use the one you have now when you get your X3, then work out what you want from the new screen: Do you want more gain (perhaps for 3D for example) or do you have enough brightness (such that you can turn the iris way down) and would prefer a lower gain screen to help fight room reflections. If you replace the current cheapy with another similar one (even one at £400 IMHO), you won't be any better off in the mid to long term. If you have to save up for a decent tab tensioned one then why not just wait it out?

No worries thanks for input, was defo worth asking i suppose.

If only spending big money will see me benefit from a difference may aswell wait.

What you dont know might not hurt but will more than likely lead to a big hole in the wallet heha

So what would you say i would need to spend in order to gain a difference in pic quality and best suited for something like x3 over what i have now?

Gives me an idea of how much i am looking at to do the wow factor justice??

Cheers

No worries thanks for input, was defo worth asking i suppose.

If only spending big money will see me benefit from a difference may aswell wait.

What you dont know might not hurt but will more than likely lead to a big hole in the wallet heha

So what would you say i would need to spend in order to gain a difference in pic quality and best suited for something like x3 over what i have now?

Gives me an idea of how much i am looking at to do the wow factor justice??

Cheers

Hi again pjanjua,

I think your answer to that will come from waiting too. Keeping up with the info on this matter myself I have read various opinions but the one of most interest was one debating how different screens polarise the reflected light hitting their surface ie how they redirect/reflect the light from the PJ back at you.

It was said that due to the dual image basis of the 3D technology it is believed you would get a better 3D effect/performance from a screen that returns the projected image pretty much staight back at the source.
Basically a screen that is designed to reflect the light back at you at a lesser angle of spread from the direct centre line of projection.

This can be seen by viewing a 3D TV in action and moving around to a more side on viewing angle, you will notice that the 3D effect is lessened as you do.

The problem with this kind of polarised screen is that the viewing angles in your home cinema will be reduced whether you are viewing 3D or 2D material.
If you only view normally from straight on and with only a couple of people this is fine, if however you pack 2 sofa's with folk side by side for a movie night the folk on the ends might have compromised viewing.

The debate continues as to whether you can at this time get a screen that will give optimum performance for both 2D and 3D.
So you are best to just keep reading what people who have already gone 3D are finding with their own systems and what the experts find over the coming months and years before deciding how much to spend and on what.

Some folk were even considering having a screen for both and interchanging them on the thread I was reading from the US.

If it turns out there is an all in one solution you can bet it won't be cheap though.

Hope this helps and it's just what I have read myself rather than my own findings obviously :)

Last edited:
Look into the dalite high power Im getting a custom made 100" from the us about 250 in total, having to go with model b as shipping cost are ridiculous for a model c. If I love it I may upgrade to model c in future.

Got some samples of the hp and it is wow factor, a lot of people are hoping this screen could be ideal for the x3 including me

I have been chatting on another thread about screen material and thought the latest info I have received may be of use here :)

Quote;

Bit of an update from my side of things, I decided to ring Harkness and ask the Q's.

My dilemma was that I intend to go 3D but have decided against stepping in whilst the technology is still so new and somewhat experimental.

As this is my first cine-room I decided to buy a budget 1080 PJ for now (secondhand Samsung A600) and then upgrade to 3D such as the X3 when it is in it's next generation phase.

So I hoped I could get a material that was suitable for 3D so I don't have to change the screen and that would give me good results with my current 2D budget PJ.

I have been advised that I should go for the HARKNESS SPECTRAL 240 material.

It is designed for 3D with a max gain of 2.4. I was surprised that the guy said it would be suitable for my Samsung in the meantime with such a high gain tbh but he said that at around 600 lumens in best mode he didn't feel it would be overly bright.

He said the fact that it is a grey/silver material it may indeed help with bettering the apparent black levels of such a budget PJ.

It appears to have aluminum particles within it's make-up however and I have read bad reports of such materials though I hope the quality of the manufacture will mean the results will prove to be better than the negative comments I have read on other such screens.

The rough cost of the material for the DIY construction of a 100" screen came to £340.

Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Regards, Lee :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom