Best 65" OLED under £2000

Laviscus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm after some advice, ideally from someone who has owned/seen these tvs in a more objective setting than i can (i only have a Currys) as I'm really struggling to find somewhere i can compare them properly.

I'm finally upgrading from a Panasonic plasma, and i do like the Panasonic image. Mixed viewing, 70% TV, 20% movies, 10% gaming (PC not console). 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs is likely enough.

I'm not that bothered which brand i go for, my choice is really c1, jz1000, 806 or a80j. However i can get JZ1500 for £2100. I'll probably keep the TV for 5 years so i want to get value for money.

Sound doesn't matter as I've got the Samsung Q950A

Sources will be freesat box and Nvidia shield. Netflix, Disney+ etc.

Research I've done suggests:

C1
Best all rounder
Best for gaming
Good OS and apps

JZ1000
Most cinematic
Likely closest image to my existing tv
Good upscaling
Best blacks and shadow detail (but not by much)

A80J
Best motion
Best colour accuracy

Best processing (but I'll probably turn everything of anyway)

Any thoughts on the above.

Is the JZ1500 worth the extra £300 given its my first OLED and i may not see the difference in brightness? My budget is really under £2k but i can stretch to £2100 if it's worth it.

I got the CX on a deal 6 months ago. Practically the same as the C1.

I tried different colour settings and could get used to any of them tbh but the thing I couldn't get used to is the stutter of moving objects in TV content or while playing a 60 frames per second '60fps' computer game, when you turn your character and the scenery moves, it stutters really obviously. This is because the refresh speed of OLED is instant and (with the exception of the latest console & game title combination) 90% of content being displayed is 60fps and TV is regularly as little as 30fps.

The transition between frames happens instantly on OLED and not everyone is as sensitive to it apparently but to me it was clear as day. Non-OLED TV's dont give this away because they don't refresh instantly, resulting in a natural 'blend' between frames, which the eye doesn't notice (I never noticed it). OLED TV's have to do this 'blend' with software by creating and inserting false frames. The experts recommend turning motion smoothing features off but I have mine cranked up and wonder if:

a) the expert are only playing 120fps content (which is few and far between)

b) they can see the stutter but accept it because they have been viewing OLED TV's for years and their brains are used to it by now

c) they cannot see it or their eyes are not 'sensitive' to it (but to me it feels impossible if you have your eyes open at all)

All this to say if/when you switch to OLED, you should be aware of this factor (which isn't talked about too much) and if I were to do it again I would put motion handling at the very TOP of my list and probably go with the Sony, as it's well recognised to be the best at this.

There has been a similar discussion on the subject here too:

If you're a Costco member, the A80J is £1499 from tomorrow until 24th

I was about to pull the trigger on the a80j and then stumbled across this motion review.

Can anyone back up what this guy is saying/showing please? everywhere else i look people say Sony is the best for motion handling.

still in the van so quite good lol ,bought on the way to work 2 days ago ,
will update when it goes up but that's probably the weekend ,
I'm scared tbh ,using a panny gt50 atm and have absolutely no issues with that set just want a bigger screen ,
but if i get the juddering or soap opera effect it'll go back but at 1500 i couldnt say no

still in the van so quite good lol ,bought on the way to work 2 days ago ,
will update when it goes up but that's probably the weekend ,
I'm scared tbh ,using a panny gt50 atm and have absolutely no issues with that set just want a bigger screen ,
but if i get the juddering or soap opera effect it'll go back but at 1500 i couldnt say no
Haha and the Costco deal ends today. Looks like I’ll have to take the plunge and see how we go!

get down there ,saw a few floating on trollies when i got mine

The Sony didn't do brilliantly on the recent Phillips shoot out so it's possible. But It may be specific use cases where it isn't great.

I was about to pull the trigger on the a80j and then stumbled across this motion review.

Can anyone back up what this guy is saying/showing please? everywhere else i look people say Sony is the best for motion handling.

The guy is a complete moron and changes his mind with the wind.

It's all clickbait and going against what professional reviewers such as Vincent Teoh on HDTV Test say.
He claims to be a professional calibrator yet never discusses proper calibration, equipment etc.

The guy is a complete moron and changes his mind with the wind.

It's all clickbait and going against what professional reviewers such as Vincent Teoh on HDTV Test say.
He claims to be a professional calibrator yet never discusses proper calibration, equipment etc.
Complete moron? The deadpool mask suggests otherwise :rotfl:

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered through richer sounds who have price beaten at £1479 :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom