Best 65" Budget TV

snakemetal

Standard Member
Hi
Im looking for a 65" TV for the living room, i have a 65" LG CX OLED in my main bedroom + PS5 and thats my main TV
Im looking for something just for everyday use to watch football, terestrial TV
and i have seen 2 on Costco that are QLED

Hisense 65U7QFTUK £549
TCL 65C815K £599

Which is the best buy for about £600?
I would also consider a 55" OLED if one came up for about £800 but i would prefer a 65", i just cant justify paying £1500 again for a TV i wont use that often for films, gaming etc

thanks

tvdavid

Hisense 65U7QFTUK and at least you can get the better HDR stuff on your nicer CX.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Motion handling may not be the best on the Hisense models going on feedback, may be a consideration for football (what sources will you use, just BBC/ITV HD?)

The TCL maybe better, being mid tier. See guide

snakemetal

Standard Member
I noticed John Lewis has £100 off the LG OLED55A16LA making it £899
That is tempting but smaller than the 65" and its a fairly large Living room
Is it worth paying an extra £300 for a smaller TV for just every day use?
Or will i regret not just paying the extra, plus its a 5 year warranty from JL

vickster

Distinguished Member
There’s usually a second hand 55” oled or two in the classifieds?
How close will you sit to the screen?

Dodgexander

QLED is nothing special really. Its not a new display technology like OLED. They are still LCD TVs.

As you may have read in my guide already about the models. The U7Q would be the one to go for if you want to use HDR whilst avoiding issues with the picture being too dark and washed out a lot, whilst the TCL is a better choice for motion.

Can't say if its worth going for a 55" OLED instead, its a bit of a faux comparison if you're willing to pay 900. You'd be better off then getting a better 65" LCD TV from the high tier section of my guide. Beware than 900 is still pretty expensive consider the A1 is running a 60hz panel. It doesn't have the same panel hz as the higher end TVs...and since its a newly released model its still on the expensive side.

snakemetal

Standard Member
Ahh well yesterday i managed to grab the LG OLED55A16LA from Richersounds for £829 with 6 year warranty, next day delivery and some earpods worth £79 rrp
I thought that was a pretty good deal so i went for it

I knew the panel was only 60hz but i didnt expect it to make much diffrence as im not using it for gaming so none of my sources could go any higher than 60hz anyway and although 65" would of been nice i can live with the 55"

I was very tempted by the TCL 65C815K for £599 with the built in soundbar tho
But one thing i noticed about my 65" OLED was it was head and shoulders better than any other TV ive seen so i got sucked in by the A1 being OLED

Hope i dont live to regret it

Last edited:

tvdavid

let us know how it compares

pastrybloke19

Ahh well yesterday i managed to grab the LG OLED55A16LA from Richersounds for £829 with 6 year warranty, next day delivery and some earpods worth £79 rrp
I thought that was a pretty good deal so i went for it

I knew the panel was only 60hz but i didnt expect it to make much diffrence as im not using it for gaming so none of my sources could go any higher than 60hz anyway and although 65" would of been nice i can live with the 55"

I was very tempted by the TCL 65C815K for £599 with the built in soundbar tho
But one thing i noticed about my 65" OLED was it was head and shoulders better than any other TV ive seen so i got sucked in by the A1 being OLED

Hope i dont live to regret it
See how it goes but if you struggle, don’t be afraid to send it back. Richer Sounds have very good customer service, and I am sure they will sort you out.

Dodgexander

A 60hz only panel means you will have telecine judder (3:2 pulldown) when watching 24 fps content.
Only via internal apps with LG. External 24fps is handled without judder. I assume the TV refreshes at 48hz to avoid it.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Only via internal apps with LG. External 24fps is handled without judder. I assume the TV refreshes at 48hz to avoid it.
Out of interest, how do you know that? Tbf I haven't looked at Rtings test results for it so you're probably right, but my gut instinct for 60hz TVs is that there would be telecine judder for 24p content 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dodgexander

Out of interest, how do you know that? Tbf I haven't looked at Rtings test results for it so you're probably right, but my gut instinct for 60hz TVs is that there would be telecine judder for 24p content 🤷🏻‍♂️
There's a few TVs like that, there are even 60hz models that can do 24fps from internal apps too. LG have always been that way (24p, external only) for some time. I expect its something to do with with the smart TV and how its been designed.

tinostp

Novice Member
Hi, I don’t want to hijack this thread just have the same question as topic starter, so i think is better to ask here then start new thread about same thing.

I’m from Croatia and after 9 years I want to change my tv. I own Philips lcd series 7 40” from 2012, now I want 65” tv. My budget is 900€. Tv is used for daily watching iptv service in FHD, lots of movies and series through android tv box (mostly kodi) and lots of watching sports (football and F1).

Tv’s I was looking are:
Hisense 65u8qf
Tcl 65c728

These are in my budget, are they good for things I need (there wont be any gaming, ok maybe a little), which has better motion handling for sports is there maybe betther tv in that price range?? I would preferably buy sony 65xh9905 but is to expensive for me.

Ps. Sorry on my english

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Hi, I don’t want to hijack this thread just have the same question as topic starter, so i think is better to ask here then start new thread about same thing.

I’m from Croatia and after 9 years I want to change my tv. I own Philips lcd series 7 40” from 2012, now I want 65” tv. My budget is 900€. Tv is used for daily watching iptv service in FHD, lots of movies and series through android tv box (mostly kodi) and lots of watching sports (football and F1).

Tv’s I was looking are:
Hisense 65u8qf
Tcl 65c728

These are in my budget, are they good for things I need (there wont be any gaming, ok maybe a little), which has better motion handling for sports is there maybe betther tv in that price range?? I would preferably buy sony 65xh9905 but is to expensive for me.

Ps. Sorry on my english
With your usage some people would argue the Sony XH9005 is a better option for you, although probably the two options you picked out would be fine. They both use 120hz panels so.

The TCL is a 2021 model, the Hisense 2020. TCL will have better smart TV, but poorer HDR capability than the Hisense.

Dodgexander

Thx for your answer @Dodgexander, just one more question. Which of this two is better for sports?
Not sure, probably about even. The U8Q has a motion problem with blur, but its not something you really see during sport. Haven't seen the TCL since its a new model.

TVfellow

Novice Member
Not sure, probably about even. The U8Q has a motion problem with blur, but its not something you really see during sport. Haven't seen the TCL since its a new model.
Also looking for a decent 65 inch tv that does not have major issues with motion

Dodgexander

Also looking for a decent 65 inch tv that does not have major issues with motion
There's plenty in this guide, but beware that motion is very much in the eye of the beholder. You could be someone who notices issues on every TV, or someone who doesn't notice any problems on any TV.

To up your chances you could stick to a brand like Sony or Philips.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom