Best 65" 4k Tv

Evo5rs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Z and I am from New Zealand and have been reading all helpful information but am struggling to decide which tv to get.

I have narrowed it down to 4 tvs.

Samsung UA65RU7400

Samsung QA65Q60RA

LG 65SM8600

LG 65SM8100

I mainly watch NBA and English premier league and play a bit of Playstation so would love one suitable for mainly that.

Was going to wait for Black Friday sales, but Black Friday sales not so good in NZ like overseas. Have a Labour day sale coming up so may look at purchasing it then. I am in no rush and am willing to wait.

Samsung QA65Q60RA currently my favourite but also is most expensive.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Heya Zeppelino,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I mostly watch head on. On rare occasions I do have my brothers over to watch big games but mostly just me and the mrs.

Which you go for depends on the price, the Q60R should be a lot more money than the RU7400 but since you are in New Zealand and not Europe the lower range Samsung models can be good value as they will be using VA type panels.

For regular TV watching it won't really matter so much which you choose. Higher end models like the Q60R give you the option to tweak motion settings more if you like that sort of thing, otherwise there's really little reason to go for the Q60R over cheaper models.

The LGs can't match the Samsung's for contrast and blacks, but if you always watch the TV with lights on or during the day and you prefer to have wide viewing angles compared to better dark room performance either of those are suited more.

Heya Dodgexander,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have read many of your helpful posts!

The Q60 is definitely the most expensive and after reading your post doesn't seem to be worth the price tag.

Prices are as follows (all in NZD)
RU7400 - $1878
LG81 - $2198
LG86 - $2658
Q60R - $2790

I always watch TV with the lights on or during the day. Living room is very bright with only one problem of sun glare/ceiling light reflection, is there any TV that is better suited for this? Normally just pull down the blinds which helps the sun.

It depends how bright really, cheaper LCD TVs like the RU7400 or even the cheaper "UM" range of LGs should be fine for a bright room, but its only when you get to the more expensive models where you start to see the better anti reflection filters. Using the ratings from rtings.com you are looking at a difference between 7.5/10 rating and 8.5/10 if you choose the RU7400 compared to the LG SM8600.

What is your current TV and do you have problems with your current TV with reflections? Most older TVs cope with reflections worse than even the cheapest ones now. I have a TV that is apparently notoriously bad with reflections and I don't have a problem when my room is bright...but then again I've also heard people complain about reflections on TVs that come with good anti reflection filter, so it really does depend; "how bright".

Only way to get some idea would be to go to a shop, somewhere where they are happy to give you the remote in a bright environment, maybe you will have some idea what is bright enough then.

HeyaDodgexander,

Thanks again for the the reply! Loving the help.

Currently I have a 40" old school Samsung UA40B6000VM which I love but is a little bit small for my new living room so looking to upgrade. I purchased a Sony KD65X7000G on sale for $1500 but returned it as I found the picture very dull and the football very blurred. Hated it.

TV reflections aren't too bad with my current Samsung TV, only really noticeable when it is very sunny but just end up pulling the blinds down. Not too sure if the LG SM8600 is worth the extra $780 over the RU7400 for 1 extra rating.

I will definetely head into a store and hopefully let me play with some settings.

Yeah, well the main reason to spend more on a TV now isn't really reflections so much, but more HDR performance...although it has to be said, LGs aren't that great in that respect unless you look at their OLEDs.

If you are considering paying more, and you will use HDR to benefit from the extra cost, you may consider looking at the Samsung Q80R instead of LGs. That will come with both good HDR performance and a more significant improvement handling reflections too.

If you don't want to spend that much, I think the RU7400 will be fine with reflections for your usage if you don't find your existing tv too problematic. The new TV should be able to get brighter, especially since older models dim with age.

Heya Dodgexander,

Thanks again for all the help.

OLEDs and Q80r are definitely out of my price range. Would love one. Did have a look for a Q6FN but they are still almost as expensive as the Q60R!

Not too much HDR content in NZ at the moment but possibly in the future.

I am heading towards the RU7400 as it seems best value for money. Can I just confirm it would be fine for sport? Basically only really have HD quality. Just after the Sony KD65X7000G which was very blurry when the ball moved around.

Just after the Sony KD65X7000G which was very blurry when the ball moved around.
Well, the Samsung won't be better than that Sony, the Sony has much the same specs. Motion is of course in the eye of the beholder.

If you are looking for an improvement over TVs like the Sony XG700x or Samsung RU7400, you do need to spend more since you'll rely on the TVs motion settings to reduce blur.

The LGs you are looking at would be suitable, as would the Q60R or RU8000...all using 120hz panels with motion features to let you reduce that blur.

For most people motion is fine on cheaper models, but if you already know its not good enough on one, then you shouldn't consider another TV with similar spec imo.

Am I correct in saying that:

Samsung Q60r and LG 8600 are 120hz

Samsung RU7400 and LG 8100 are 60hz?

I will head down to my local store and cast some EPL and see if was just my streaming service. In saying that is works fine on my current Samsung 40inch.

So much to consider! On a plus note found a clearance shop that has alot of last year stock for a bit cheaper.

Did you own the Sony XG700x? How did you determine the blur?

If the SM8100 is the same as the SM8200 sold in the UK then yes its 60hz.

You need to test each TV with the custom motion settings de-blur and de-judder. Also test out black frame insertion by enabling the "clear motion" option - that may be called different things on different TVs but will be the best at reducing blur.

Samsung have the best implementation of BFI, but you may also find that overall the motion processing of Sony or Philips TVs using 120hz is better. With Philips that will be the 8 series, with Son'y the XG83xx and higher..or in some markets the X850G and higher.

Heya Dodgexander,

Thank you again for all the help!

I purchased the Sony XG700x for sale for $1500. Im not too sure if I got a dud or something, but after 4 days of playing around with the settings I returned it. Picture was very dull not bright at all. With the blur I played Playstation and also watch some English Premier league and my old school Samsung 40 inch was much better!

In saying that my current tv (Samsung 40" is only 60hz and is perfectly fine with sports and my PS4, prehaps it was my Spark sports (streams EPL in NZ) app.

I have seen the Sony KD65X8500G on sale for $2390, but after my last Sony am i bit cautious.

I will head down to a store and try my Spark sports app on it too see how football blur goes.

Decisions decisions!!

Okay, well the fact you have already tried the Sony and have been unsatisfied makes it a little easier to narrow down your options. Its motion is by no means bad, and certainly not its blur. At least if reviews of the past few generations are to be believed. Sony tend to use IPS panels on their lower end TVs that actually have better response times than VA type panels that are often used (outside Europe) on the cheaper Samsung models. VA panels, will in fact be worse with motion on similarly priced Samsung TVs compared to the Sony..such as the aforementioned Samsung RU7400.

Also, its a consideration that the reason you are noticing the Sony has worse motion is because its a lot bigger. Its a lot easier to see problems with motion when you are changing from a 40" TV to a 65".

I'd recommend looking at models with 120hz panels, the cheapest tend to be:

Samsung RU8000/Q60R. The Q60R is the same TV, only with a wider colour gamut which is only useful when using HDR.
Sony XG85xx range and up, I presume you don't have the XG83xx range in NZ? If you do, the XG83xx range will be the cheapest having 120hz.
LG SM8500 and up
Philips 8 series and up PUS8xx4/PUS8xx3
Panasonic FX750 (2018 model).

If you can find prices on those to compare, should make the choice a bit easier. Pricing and model numbers differ in different region, which makes it a bit of a pain the ass in NZ when Sony seem to be using EU model numbers, whilst Samsung North American.

Why they don't make the same models world wide, or at least use the same numbers is beyond me.o_O

That makes so much more sense that since the TV was much bigger I could see the motion problems.

Will definitely grab a tv with 120hz panel. Don’t mind spending a little bit more to get something that will keep me happier in the long run, cause it is mostly to watch sport.

I priced up a couple of tvs as below

Samsung Q60R - $2790. I got store credit when I returned the Sony 65 and the store doesn’t stock the RU8000.
Sony X85G - $2394
Sony X95G - $2848, sadly don’t have the XG83 range.
LG SM86 - $2658
Panasonic GX850Z - $2499
No Phillips TVs in NZ at big stores. Quite shocked to be honest.

Totally agree don’t understand why they don’t use the same models world wide……

Going to head down to the clearance store and see if they have any last year stock for cheap

Sony (2018) XF9005 or X900F is still available would be an even better option than those if you can get it at a good price.

Otherwise the best deal by far out of the ones you last mentioned for you would be the Sony X850G, I'm actually surprised its cheaper than the LG SM8600.

The Panasonic GX850 is a 2019 TV we don't have in Europe, I'm guessing its just using a 60hz panel though. Its last years (2018) FX750 which will have the 120hz. It may called FX780 or even FXW780 in NZ.

So I headed into the store and checked out the Sony Tvs. Really liked the the X95G. Is it worth the extra $450?

To put a spanner in the works they had a display A9F for sale for $2947. Only problem its the display one and ive read things about screen burn which im worried about....

There is a thread regarding OLED burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk

For most people its not an issue, it depends if you watch content lots with static elements.

Is the Sony X950G worth the extra over the X850G? Yes- but mostly if you are wanting to use HDR on the TV. If you don't use HDR much you won't really be using the TV to its advantages and the Sony X850G will be just as good when it comes to things like up scaling and motion.

Is the Sony A9F worth more than both? Yes, but really only if you value the built in sound. Sound on the A9F is very good compared to other TVs and its mainly the better sound built in that you pay extra for.

Am I correct in saying the Sony X950G is better than the Samsung 60R?

Heading towards either the X950G or the X850G. Most likely the X950G as preferred the picture and hopefully future proofs the tv if NZ gets some better HDR content. Only spec that sways me towards the X850G is the better viewing angle rating and the price.

As for the A9F, went in store and they couldn’t/wouldn’t turn it on. Made me a bit weary being the display model so will stay clear of that.

The XG95 is better than the Q60. The Q60 is better than the XG8 series.

Obviously local pricing plays a part.

Do you need wide viewing angles? Is Hdr performance likely to be an issue in the next 3/4 years?

Heya Zeppelino,

Thanks for the reply.

After thinking about it don't really need the wide viewing angles and 95% of the time its just me and my mrs watching straight on. Not too fussed on HDR performance.

Really liking the look of the Sony XG95 after viewing it in store!

Big thanks to Dodgexander and Zeppelino.

Ended up purchasing the Sony XG65 for $2848. Really liked the picture.

Just one final question hopefully, the store were looking to charge me $89 for delivery. I was just going to put it in the back of my hatchback but was told that I should not put the TV screen laying down only keep it up right. Is this correct or are they trying to just make me spend more on delivery??

So I finally got the Sony X95G home! Bloody dropped in price to $2705 two days after I purchased it.....

Was a little disappointed with the picture in 4K was a little bit grainy but after doing a but of research realized this can be normal (the look directors go for). Also was surprised at the picture of Sky Sports, but that is only HD so can't expect 4k quality when only HD quality is coming in.

1 problem that has been happening is with the Sony HT-8500 sound bar. When watching Netflicks it will randomly turn off and no sound will come through. Have tried resetting this but with no luck. Any ideas what could be wrong? I have connected it through eArc and have also activated it on tv.

So I finally got the Sony X95G home! Bloody dropped in price to $2705 two days after I purchased it.....

Was a little disappointed with the picture in 4K was a little bit grainy but after doing a but of research realized this can be normal (the look directors go for). Also was surprised at the picture of Sky Sports, but that is only HD so can't expect 4k quality when only HD quality is coming in.

1 problem that has been happening is with the Sony HT-8500 sound bar. When watching Netflicks it will randomly turn off and no sound will come through. Have tried resetting this but with no luck. Any ideas what could be wrong? I have connected it through eArc and have also activated it on tv.
Sounds like the usual ARC HDMI woes, you have to go back to square one unfortunately. Turn ARC off at both ends, unplug cable. Turn both TV and soundbar off at wall for 10 mins.

Return, plug in HDMI cable, re-enable ARC at both ends and check if problem still exists.

If it does, try the same as above with a different HDMI cable.

If that doesn't solve it, use an optical cable instead and keep separate volume control. You can mute the TVs sound in the settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom