1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 5m DVI cable???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nate247, Apr 9, 2005.

1. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Hi, I have a budget of approx £50 and am looking for a DVI to DVI cable to plug my PC into my new Philips 9986 LCD TV.

I was wondering in your opinion, what is the best cable to get for this short of money and where can I get it from.

I am assuming that as with most things it may be cheaper online etc.

Any hekp would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nathan

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    nate247

A Molex 5m DVI cable may not have the marketing 'appeal' of many of the 'big' brands but for sub £40.00 you get a more than decent cable.

Keep in mind no matter what cable you use at 5m your at the maximum length your likely to achieve with a lot of DVI kit/cables.

Best regards

Joe

3. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thanks for the advice Joe, didn't quite get the last bit re maximum length.

As I read it 5m is about the maximum you want to go, is this correct???

Regards

Nathan

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello nate247

Yes 5m is often the maximum you'll achieve without introducing artefacts - going over 5m can often involve more costly cables and or signal amplifiers.

Ensure you have the option of returning any cable you purchase as not every combination will work at 5m.

Best regards

Joe

5. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Ok, will do.

Thanks alot for the advice....... any suggestions of where to buy the recomended cable???

Regards

Nathan

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I'm connecting a DVD player to a Hi Def projector using a 15m DVI cable with absolutely no problems.

7.5m is officially the max supported length, but a company called Lindy do cables up to 25m.

5m should be no problem at all. And it's only £22.15 plus delivery.

http://www.lindy.com/uk/catalog/14/04/02/index.php

...PJ :)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello all

nate247 - there's a fair few banner adds on the site for digital cable suppliers and I'm sure a few of them supply Molex.

PJTX100 - there's no guarantee with any of this digital interconnectivity; just because you had no issues in your set-up doesn't mean the same cable in a different set-up will always work.

I've even supplied cables to folk with source and display hardware we know work in other installations and then cant get the same kit to work in a different installation - we always supply on a Sale or Return basis just in case.

I'd hate to think how your image would look over a standard copper DVI cable at 25m - it would not be pretty :)

Best regards

Joe

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It does also depend on the signal type you are attempting to transfer.
    The higher the resolution of the signal, the better/shorter the cable needs to be!

Cable X may work fine at Y metres with a 480p signal - but it doesn't mean that it'll also work fine with higher res signals over the same distance.
    Full HD has 5x the bitrate of 480p, and when you consider you're then operating a DVI link at well over 1Gbps, it's no surprise that the cable and it's quality (not necessarily it's price though :) ) can play a big part!

PS - most graphics cards have a single-link implementation of DVI (I'm guessing that AV eqpt will too, but Joe may know for sure) - in such cases, a dual-link cable won't help!

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    :)
    Of course there is no guarantee. I'm just passing on my first hand experience. I purchased the Lindy cable with low expectations because no-one on this forum seemed to be sending a DVI signal 15m. I think 10m was the most I read about and the cable was way more expensive than the DVD player. All I'm saying is that it is possible, and with a 50 quid cable to boot. I've tried all the resolutions the Sammy can send and it makes no difference - they all work equally well.

The PQ is excellent but not perfect, I can see some shudder on very fast panning shots. In fact I prefer the Pio 575 via component because of the Pio's ability to ramp up the sharpness, also the shadow detail seems better - maybe because of the "blacker then black" constraints of the Samsung. But all things considered the Sammy via DVI is very acceptable, and makes a nice 2nd machine for the price.

..PJ :)