Best 55'' LED for narrow viewing angles

mattlewis27

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm moving house soon and considering a new TV to wall hang. I've had my Sony Bravia kdl49w905a for some years now and it has developed banding on one side.

My new place is likely to have a narrow viewing angles. I have a budget of max £600 (ideally £400-£500 though) so I'm not expecting insane performance obviously. I know QLED is best for narrow angles but I can't afford to shell out the £1,000 needed for this right now.

I liked the look of the Samsung TU8000 series but I'm hearing the view angle is poor. I do use the BT Sport app a lot and this is exclusive to Samsung but that's easily worked around. I'm perfectly happy getting a reconditioned one from Richer Sounds etc - as I did with my Sony before.

What would your recommendations be please?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have a check of the guide, divided by tier and viewing angles

normally narrow angles means you view head on, do you mean the opposite, ie viewing from the side?

Dodgexander

Make sure you don't fall into the LED trap that manufacturers make. Be it LEDs or QLEDs they are just LCD TVs. The same LCD tech that has been used for years and years now.

If you need good viewing angles you need to opt for a TV using an IPS panel in the guide, the guide is sectioned based on panel type.

If you don't need good viewing angles then you can look at TVs that have VA panels in the guide.

The Samsung TU8000 is a low-range TV which you'll be using to replace a high end TV made a few years ago. A bit like AV equipment in general, if you replace something that is quite cheap and expect it to perform all round as well as the equipment its replacing, you may be disappointed. 4k TVs will of course look good with high quality content, but what they won't do is polish all material and make it look better than your current TV.

In fact, motion would be an area of concern moving from your current TV which uses a 120hz VA panel to a low end one that uses a 60hz panel. In this respect try to at least look at TVs in the mid tier section of the guide or higher.

HDR is also something that really only starts on more expensive TVs, so if you intend to use it, I'd advice raising your budget for a high tier model. Low tier and even mid tier models just don't cut it when displaying HDR, and will give you problems with the picture being too dark.

mattlewis27

Novice Member
Have a check of the guide, divided by tier and viewing angles

normally narrow angles means you view head on, do you mean the opposite, ie viewing from the side?
Yes, my apologies. I’d be viewing from the side. Sorry for the confusion. Does that mean I’d need the IPS panel listed below?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, my apologies. I’d be viewing from the side. Sorry for the confusion. Does that mean I’d need the IPS panel listed below?
Yes probably

mattlewis27

Novice Member
Make sure you don't fall into the LED trap that manufacturers make. Be it LEDs or QLEDs they are just LCD TVs. The same LCD tech that has been used for years and years now.

If you need good viewing angles you need to opt for a TV using an IPS panel in the guide, the guide is sectioned based on panel type.

If you don't need good viewing angles then you can look at TVs that have VA panels in the guide.

The Samsung TU8000 is a low-range TV which you'll be using to replace a high end TV made a few years ago. A bit like AV equipment in general, if you replace something that is quite cheap and expect it to perform all round as well as the equipment its replacing, you may be disappointed. 4k TVs will of course look good with high quality content, but what they won't do is polish all material and make it look better than your current TV.

In fact, motion would be an area of concern moving from your current TV which uses a 120hz VA panel to a low end one that uses a 60hz panel. In this respect try to at least look at TVs in the mid tier section of the guide or higher.

HDR is also something that really only starts on more expensive TVs, so if you intend to use it, I'd advice raising your budget for a high tier model. Low tier and even mid tier models just don't cut it when displaying HDR, and will give you problems with the picture being too dark.
Thank you. All good advice. I realise Sony is the superior product but given that technology is about 7 or 8 years old I thought models like the Samsung would’ve moved on considerably, even the low end of the price range? Perhaps I was wrong. I do watch a lot of sport so motion blur would be an issue. Is £600 too low a budget?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Tech doesn’t move on that fast. TVs look better aesthetically with nice slim surrounds, Smart functions are better, otherwise they aren’t that different (until you get to Oled), even a high tier tv is similar to a high tier then...but cheaper!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thank you. All good advice. I realise Sony is the superior product but given that technology is about 7 or 8 years old I thought models like the Samsung would’ve moved on considerably, even the low end of the price range? Perhaps I was wrong. I do watch a lot of sport so motion blur would be an issue. Is £600 too low a budget?
Try to get a refurb 55xh9005 from Sony? Or even an older XG? Come online on a Thursday and seem to be around £600 (£700 with extended warranty), vs £900 new with 5/6 year warranty

Dodgexander

Things do move on, but other things don't. LCD TVs are still LCD TVs. The problem is you are moving from a very good one back in the day. If you swapped to a Samsung TU8000 you'd be impressed using 4k content on the TV, but you'd also get problems with HDR, and depending how you perceive motion, you will probably be unhappy compared to your current TV.

You'd probably need to go for at least a mid tier model in the guide like the Sony XH9005 suggested above to not make any compromises compared to your current TV, and also to get a reasonable boost in quality when it comes to using 4k and HDR material.

Ideally you want to aim for a high tier TV though, for their HDR capabilities and maximum impact compared to what you're using.

mattlewis27

Novice Member
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I’ll take a look at the Sony. Just one more question really - are we expecting a price drop on TVs around March as we move into Spring with new models starting to appear?

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom