Best 55 inch tv under £500

AD84

Novice Member
Hello,

Hoping to get some advice on the best 55inch 4K TV under £500.
Looking to upgrade from my Panasonic tx-p50ut50b to something a little bigger and better(55inch ideally but may have the space to go upto 65). I watch mainly HD via Sky Q, Netflix and Amazon Prime video, occasional gaming on PS4. Sound quality isn't an issue as I have external speakers and av receiver. Smart features are of no importance to me either as I get everything though external sources.

Picture quality is top of my list- I find the image quality on my Panasonic plasma pretty amazing for a 6 year old TV so would any upgrade be a valid improvement?

Have been looking at the Philips 55PUS7334 as it ticks a lot of boxes and the ambilight feature looks like something I'd get some use from but also recently been looking at a few Hisense and Samsung models.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

samsungman

I would choose hisense u7 or samsung ru 8000... If you want to stretch to 65 inch then samsung 7400 or hisense 7500

Dodgexander

I think you are going to have to make some drawbacks in some areas if you are expecting a £500 55" TV to be as good as your Plasma. A lot has improved over the years but not so much so that it makes LCD tech flawless. If you view the TV direct in front I'd consider upgrading only to the Sony XG9005, XF9005 or XG9505/ Samsung Q70R and over in your shoes or not upgrading at all.
If you need better viewing angles you should consider only the Samsung Q80R and over.

The Samsung RU8000 at 55" would be okay, it's just not a capable HDR TV and will give you issues with HDR.
The Philips model you picked out is a budget model, low end specs and I'm not sure which panel type its using.

So it really depends on your expectations I guess, you could even go for a 65" model and you may be impressed, but there will be drawbacks, particularly with motion having a cheaper TV.

Recommendations are all here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

AD84

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. I check out those recommendations but it looks like I may be sticking with my plasma for a few more years.

AD84

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestion, ive looked into this one already but I think the H55U7BUK looks like it might be worth the extra few quid. Obviously it's quite hard to tell if it's worth the upgrade without seeing it in the flesh.

Dodgexander

Thanks for the suggestion, ive looked into this one already but I think the H55U7BUK looks like it might be worth the extra few quid. Obviously it's quite hard to tell if it's worth the upgrade without seeing it in the flesh.
It's not worth the extra. You get 1 extra HDMI port and downsize to 55". The deal is for the 65" model, not 55".

AD84

Novice Member
Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Decided 65 inch may be too big so looking for 55inch. I think the Hisense H55U7BUK is my front runner at the moment but I'm going to wait until lockdown is over. Not in any rush so I may wait to see if there are any deals in the next few months.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom