Best 55” tv to buy for parents under £500.

UnGreat

Established Member
Reaction score
As title suggests the family have decided to upgrade my parents old boxy 40” Sony tv to a new 55” model for Christmas.

They will be wall mounting it and watching it pretty much straight on in either a darkened room (movies) or in a room with regular ambient lighting (tv shows). Mostly they watch streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and regular tv through a freesat box.

Their old tv is an early chunky Sony from when flatscreen tv’s first started getting popular so anything is an improvement. £500 is a hard upper limit so can’t really go over budget.

Just wondering what would be the best 55” tv for this budget? I’m worried the rest of the family will just go out and buy some awful supermarket brand tv if I don’t do some research.

Unfortunately it's really hard to recommend cheaper TVs nowadays. Whilst you may think a new £500 TV will be an improvement, you will be opening a new can of worms when HDR auto enables.

Really you don't want to be dipping lower than TVs such as the Sony X90J (2021) or X90K (2022) or the Samsung Q80B (2022) or Q80A (2021) anything less just isn't worth the hassle and the issues with the picture cheaper TVs will bring when using HDR.

All about HDR (High Dynamic Range) should help explain it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom