Best 55” tv for £600

blubber234

Standard Member
Hi I’m after a 55” tv to go on the wall in the dining room. It won’t be our main tv so don’t want to spend anymore than £600.

Main things I want from it are that it has the normal smart features, YouTube, Netflix, catchup etc. Reasonable viewing angles, and decent sound quality as won’t be having a soundbar.

Ones I’ve been looking at include Hisense u7q, LG un7300, Sony 8196, Phillips pus8555 and Samsung ue55tu7020.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these? Or any suggestions which would be best.

Thanks

Dodgexander

If you want good viewing angles you're best looking at Sony TVs like the XH8196 you mention.
XH8096 is also the same TV with a different model number.

LGs 2020 models lack Freeview play so miss some UK catchup apps, whilst the new 2021 models are currently pretty overpriced.

Philips 8 series is usually sold at 58" with narrow viewing angles. Philips are a good choice, but make sure you look at 55" models with IPS panels instead of 58" with VA panels if you want good viewing angles.

Hisense and Samsung TVs use VA type panels with narrow viewing angles.

All best buys are separated by panel in my guide here:

Be sure to look at the models listed with wide viewing angles.

blubber234

Standard Member
If you want good viewing angles you're best looking at Sony TVs like the XH8196 you mention.
XH8096 is also the same TV with a different model number.

LGs 2020 models lack Freeview play so miss some UK catchup apps, whilst the new 2021 models are currently pretty overpriced.

Philips 8 series is usually sold at 58" with narrow viewing angles. Philips are a good choice, but make sure you look at 55" models with IPS panels instead of 58" with VA panels if you want good viewing angles.

Hisense and Samsung TVs use VA type panels with narrow viewing angles.

All best buys are separated by panel in my guide here:

Be sure to look at the models listed with wide viewing angles.
Which is the better tv out of the Sony X8196 and the Phillips PUS7808? From what I’ve seen the Sony is around £70/80 more. Are there any real differences?

Also do you know how the 2021 LG UP75006LF compares to the two mentioned? Richer sounds have it for £499

Dodgexander

I'd probably go for the Sony because it has Android built in whereas the 7 series Philips uses their own basic smart TV.

The UP7500 is the new UN7000/UN7100. The UP7700 is what replaces the UN7300 with the magic remote. In the same range all LGs have the same picture quality, but in this instance the difference is the remote that comes with the TV.

blubber234

Standard Member
I'd probably go for the Sony because it has Android built in whereas the 7 series Philips uses their own basic smart TV.

The UP7500 is the new UN7000/UN7100. The UP7700 is what replaces the UN7300 with the magic remote. In the same range all LGs have the same picture quality, but in this instance the difference is the remote that comes with the TV.
Cheers for the help, on your guide you mention the LG nano86 in the medium tier. Amazon have got it for £559, which is slightly cheaper than the Sony. I’m guessing it has an IPS panel, Is this a good deal and a better tv that fits what I’ve previously mentioned I’m after

RumnCoke

Novice Member
Yes, if you want a TV with an IPS panel its a good deal. It has a 120hz panel for improved motion over the 60hz Sony's.
Sorry to jump on the Ops thread but I'm in the same situation, same budget. I've been offered a Sony XBR-65X900B locally but it seems its old now. Looks to have rated pretty highly though originally, is this a decent option instead of the cheaper newer tvs in my price bracket?

Dodgexander

B suffix is 2014.

If you were upgrading from that TV today I wouldn't change the TV unless you go for a high tier model.

blubber234

Standard Member
Yes, if you want a TV with an IPS panel its a good deal. It has a 120hz panel for improved motion over the 60hz Sony's.
Ended up missing out on the Amazon deal. Been in touch with RS and they have offered the Sony for £590 and the LG nano86 for £636.
What would be your preference?
I know the LG is 120hz instead of 60hz however read reviews with people saying LG panels aren’t as good as Sony’s. Also is the LG still missing some of the smart apps?
Tv will mainly be used with sky mini box in a bright room probably never in the dark

Dodgexander

I'd go for the LG since its the higher spec TV. You may be okay with the Sony though if you're happy not being able to tweak motion settings.

LG use their own panels, Sony buy BOE panels. The Sony panel will have better viewing angles but worse motion.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom