Best 52"?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Tikloos, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need one for hall. I'm not sure if a 52" LCD would be too big actually :/ I think distance is around 10 ft.

Anyways, theirs no real budget. I was looking at the Sony 52W4500, but just really wanted the best one. Any Samsung or Panasonic ones better lately? Or is it worth waiting for something better coming out? (I don't want to wait more than a month). Also is the max resolution still 1920x1080 or is are they making higher res now?

Thanks.

2. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    1080p is the highest res (well the highest res anything is made in) the 52W4500 will be an brilliant TV so you WILL be happy with that. Panasonic are the other major brand to look out for (they beat Samsung in my opinion). Saying that, maybe a plasma would fit your needs, they come out on top for SD and movies (if youre a big gamer then dont lunge at them) but what about this Panny 50PZ80, cheaper than the Sony (for what I can find) and it will look stunning Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Panasonic TH-50PZ80B - 50" Widescreen Viera 1080P Full HD Plasma TV - With Freeview

3. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll stick to the LCD, unless the SD is marginally better in Plasmas.

And price is not an issue.
    When is the sony X series coming out? Is it worth the wait?

4. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    im not sure about the Sony X series, I doubt it will be worth the wait (and probably extra cash).

Anyway, plasmas tend to have better SD PQ because of much better colours and blacks etc... but you wont know any different if you dont buy a plasma, the LCD will look as real as anything. The 52W4500 is a top set, its probably one of the best, but saying that, if money really isnt an issue then a Pioneer plasma is the way to go, they have all the advantages of plasmas but none of the drawbacks (most of the LCD pros are only pros because plasmas fall in those areas).

Pioneer PDP-LX5090 from TV & Video Direct that will sort you out for life, although id do some research into pioneers as theyre not my area of expertise to im not 100% sure if thats the best one

5. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I settled on a Samsung LE55A956 LED LCD in the end and would reccomend it, as mentioned a plasma may be marginally better for SD and I have always bought plasma before but to my eyes the Samsung was just unbeatable for HD content. I view from about 9ft and 55" HD is great .:thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents.

6. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I think if you stay to the big brands most 50 or 52" sets will be good, im not sure anything can beat a pioneer plasma though, they are the daddy's

7. oj0

oj0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Big screen, no budget - surely a Kuro, why look anywhere else ... ?

8. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    exactly my thoughts :thumbsup:

its a no brainer

Kuro=:D

9. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On some sites it even gives me the option for buying the Sony 55X4500 for around £4000. I would say that is rather expensive for a TV. And I am still unsure to whether its out or not.

No real budget still means it has to be a sensible price.

Anyway, I would definitly like the TV to be be 1080p, are the Panasonic plasmas 1080p? or HD ready?

So which one for Kuro?

10. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    £4000 is excessive. Some Panasonics are 1080p, the ones which are PZ... for plasma or LZD...for LCD (basically the 'Z'). The Pioneer Kuro's are 1080p, the one i mentioned would be better than anything else (which isnt a kuro) dont know a lot about Pioneers though, i just know theyre the best

11. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes pioneer is indeed a very good company, I can tell you that first hand, a previous pioneer CRT TV of mine lasted 20 years :p

But I am not entirely convinced as to buy a plasma over an LCD. I thought the plasmas were as good as dead.

Also there doesn't seem to be much price difference between the Sony 52W4500 and the Pioneer PDP-LX5090.

12. -Ad-

-Ad-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    The sony X-series are incredibly overpriced and still don't match the Kuros for picture.

If you want the best set out there then buy the KRP Kuro with its media box for connections, or spend a little less and get nigh on the same with the 5090.

I can only echo that if you go for a 52 sony,samsung etc it won't be anything like as good as a Kuro. I spent many months comparing sets until I found the best picture I could, and you can see what I went for.

:thumbsup:

13. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    The reason the plasma market is failing is purely because they dont come in sizes below 37" (apart from the 32PG6000 which has tried to re-invigorate) and most people want 32", and some want 37" where the LCDs stats impress more, dont go purely on stats though, the stats on the Toshibas look the same or better than on the Sonys or Panasonics but they are much much worse. If you read around you will find that pretty much everyone who has gone from LCD to plasma has never gone back, especially for SD where LCDs can look blocky and unpleasent plasmas look much much better.

People are also put off by the power useage of plasmas, this is a grey area though, as you get bigger plasmas are more and more energy efficient, you do get quoted power useage of up to 350Watts on the 32" LG plasma and 37" ones but this is more often than not the maximum power useage which only happens when a completely white screen is displayed. Most people have a much lower power useage, for example (although this is an extreme one) the LG 32PG6000 has a quoted power useage of up to 250Watts, there was a test done and some people reported an average power consumption of 75Watts! that beats all LCDs. Anyway, at 50" Plasma are always more efficient.

Also, with the expensive Sony's you will get as much as an LCD can give but still with the LCDs shortfalls such as grey blacks (although they will be better than cheapre LCDs) etc...whereas with the expensive plasmas you wont get the plasma shortfalls like phosphorus trailing or IR (at least not to a noticeable extent).

I'd go for plasma for big screens for sure, especially at 50"

14. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok please give me a link to the best ~50" Pioneer Kuro (or whichever company) with full 1080p. This TV should also be better than LCDs.

And one more thought, do the Plasmas have 100Hz? and will it be a significant factor to consider?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  15. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +968
    You'll be paying over double the price for a plasma compared to an LCD and power consumption will be 2-3 x higher than the equivalent sized LCD.

The PQ of the current crop of Sony LCD's is really very good - you should check 'em out

16. -Ad-

-Ad-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Don't worry about 100hz, contrast ration and any other marketing mumbo jumbo. The pioneer plasmas have the best motion handling of any set I have seen out there.

I bought mine from the link below and many others have too (comes with 5yr warranty too):

Just the screen: Pioneer - PDP-LX5090 - 50-inch 'HD Ready 1080p' KURO (9th Generation)

Screen+stand+speakers: Pioneer - PDP-LX5090UT - 50-inch 'HD Ready 1080p' KURO (9th

Not at all. For example one of these sony LCDs a 52 W4500 is about £1600-1800 at most places, and the 5090 Kuro can be had inc stand and undermount speaker for ~£1900. This sony set has a worse picture than the Kuro and only costs slightly less. Not this X2 fairytale figure. Plus the flagship sony X4500 in 46 or 55 inch version costs nearly DOUBLE that of the 50 kuro and still can't match its picture. Not knocking these sony sets as they are good, but at the same price as the Kuro there is no competetion at all ;)

Plus plasma consumption varies onwhat is on screen. A pure white image will use up a large amount of power, and a pure black image won't. People obviously don't watch either, but most films will have black bars and be generally a mix of dark and light areas, and with them being moving picture the power consumption will vary. You cannot put a figure on how much more they use, but most importantly if this is such an important consideration when buying a large screen tv, then maybe you would be better off with a tiny 14inch portabel :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  17. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    As mentioned above the quoted power use is only when every pixel is lit (usually with white) which never happens. The 32PG6000 has a quoted power consumption of 230Watts but average viewing for several people has provided a power consumption on under 120Watts. Also plamas become more energy effient as they get larger, generally at 42" and above a plasma will be more energy efficient than an LCD on average viewing.

As for price, size for size plasmas actually appear to be cheaper, for example (there are more examples but i really cant be bothered :D) the 42LG6000 (LCD); price range roughly £780 - £1000 online. The 42PG6000 (plasma) ; price range is roughly £540 - £700. They're from the same year, are the same size. The 42LG6000 is the LCD equivalent to the 42PG6000 and its more expensive

18. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also is the HD meant to be better on LCDs? and Is there a big difference?

I ask because I am subscirbed to Sky HD.

19. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I'd personally say that LCD closes the gap in HD but personally I say that HD is still better on plasma. LCDs have higher resolutions at smaller sizes (37"-42") but at 50" plasmas have 1080p so the resolution is the same. Personally, for watching TV (HD or SD) plasma is better. The time where LCD comes out above plasma is in the case of hardcore gamers but recent advances in plasma technology have almost completely removed the problems with plasmas on the better sets like the ones youre looking at.

Movies also look better on plasma, they have better colour reproduction so you get a more natural picture, LCDs often look artificial and cartoony to me after I bought a plasma

20. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I would say the question here is not plasma or LCD, it's W4500 or LX5090.

And, as far as I am concerned, the Pioneer is better on all counts of picture quality, regardless of what technology it uses. The main area where the W4500 is better is with input lag for gaming, but the Pioneer is still strong in this area.

Considering the price difference is not very big I see no reason why this should be a difficult decision.

21. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try not to get blinkered into thinking Kuro is the only option and anything else is vastly inferior. I spent a good while auditioning sets and although I had always bought plasma before and initially assumed I would get a 5090 Kuro I eventually settled on a LE55A956.

When comparing to a kuro I could see little to no difference with HD content, if anything though I slightly preffered the extra brightness of the LCD (SHOCK HORROR!) With SD the Kuro was a fair bit better but I preffered the LCD for gaming and the extra 5" was appealing, so for me the extra size and the fact I'm a casual gamer won out.

Now I'm not saying dont get a Kuro as when considering HD and SD overall the Kuro is the best pic money can buy, but I was happy to spend the extra £400 to get the set that fitted my wants and needs.

A Kuro was'nt the TV for me and may not be for you. Go have a look and make your own mind up. :)

22. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    If the lighting conditions are particularly bright then you may want to consider LCD too, they get less glare and the brightness makes them more suited to bright conditions. If the light is generally dimmer (your typical late afternoon/evening brightness) then plasmas really stand out then.

To be honest I dont see why you'd spend £400 more on a TV with worse SD because of ever so slightly better HD (which i dont think it has) but thats opinion so do check out some TVs before buying, and read all the reviews for your top 3 or so too

23. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Because size matters ya know! ;)

(plus I now watch more HD than SD)

24. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Haha :rotfl:

Although SD does get worse if you go too big :smashin: If you're a gamer, even if it's casual, then the appeal of LCD does grow and I can say that that Samsung is very good. Personally, I'd prefer the Kuro, 50" is still HUGE!

25. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I have to say I find it very odd you chose a Samsung LED set for casual gaming. Aren't they some of the worst for input lag? Regarding brightness, as far as I'm concerned, the Pioneer can already produce far brighter images than my eyes can handle during evening viewing (though it does drop down a fair bit as APL increases on the LX model) so it wouldn't be a concern for me.

Fair enough if lag issues didn't show through in testing though, and if you're happy then that's all that matters.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  26. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Brightness on LCDs is only an advantage in bright conditions, when its in the average persons living room a plasma is just as good and doesn't blind you :cool:. Some people have got brightly lit living rooms though.

27. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Yes they are unless you enable PC or Game modes in which case they are pretty good, should also have mentioned I planned on using it as a PC monitor which added to LCD appeal.

Dont get me wrong, I am a champion Kuro's and of Plasma technology generally (every flatscreen I have owned has been Plasma until now) but I just think what the concensus considers the "best" may not be the best for any given individual.

LCD's of even a year or two ago I would never have bought but the latest top end LCD's have a lot going for them and I would suggest it's wise to demo as many sets as possible(Plasma and LCD) and make your own mind up rather than just go for what the concensus considers to be the "best"

28. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    yea, whether LCD or plasma is the best is a matter of opinion, especially with the new top end LCDs replicating more of the plasmas pros, then again, new plasmas (especially top end ones) are removing the previous cons of plasma technology so its a tough decision and one thats always difficult to make by viewing in stores because of the bright lighting conditions which the LCDs prefer. Ideally you would buy both and then send one back but thats not worth it and is far too complicated, try and get stores to let you fiddle with the settings or even get one up in the backroom (they did that for me) if they wont then look at every review on the net and view a couple in store as well, go to lots of different stores too to get around the 'set up' problems

29. Tikloos

Tikloos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have just picked up the Pioneer PDP LX5090 from Richer Sounds today.
    But they forgot to give me the bracket! So have to go back there tomorrow and pick it up :( but in the end it is all sorted.

30. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Enjoy it, it's a rather spiffing TV :thumbsup: