1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 50hz 32 wide

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Runerg, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just made up my mind about 100 hz, and will now buy a 50hz.
    I have just bought an Philips 8807 and will return it this week (black bars, heat haze arond persons, freezing.....). Now I have to find a good 50hz set.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Rune

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Look at Sony models I prefer them to the 100Hz

Also look at the IDTVs

3. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about Panasonic PL1 or JVC's 50hz. I am a little worried about buying another Philips set. Seems to be black bars on every model they have. At least the 100hz ones. I live in Norway, so IDTV is not an option.
    Rune

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Fair enough - KV32LS30 try it!

5. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have the panasonic pl4, and i must say i am extremely pleased with it. I have no problems with the tv, no geometry problems or vertical lines or dark bars or anything.
    The picture is superb, sharp and bright and clear.
    It is also good value at about £720 ish.

You could also go for the pl1 which is just normal nicam stereo, and should be about £50 cheaper, depending where you buy.

6. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Same here! I love my PL4. The only slight problem is occasional interference on the AV2 input to which the video recorder is connected. If I switch back to the TV tuner from AV mode and switch the chanel and then go back to AV2 it cleares it. I mainly watch from digital cable through RGB on AV1. The picture is so good and life-like, I'd rather live with the occasional AV2 problem than have someone out to play with the TV. I got it from Comet for £699 about six weeks ago ----- they haven't shown it on their web site for some time, but it may be worth giving Comet a call as the may have it in a store somewhere.

Dick

7. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tv's I have to choose from:
    Sony KV32LS35
    Panasonic TX32PL1
    Philips 32PW6506
    JVC AV-32T20EPS

I dont care about the sound, just the picture.

Please help me.
    R

8. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50Hz rules !!!!!!! Seriously though, as it has been said countless times if flicker can be seen than 100Hz is probably going to help but if you don't notice it then 50 Hz with total absence of any picture processing can be very good.

Anyway, back off my soapbox I would also be interested in any user comments concerning the PL1 and the 6506 from Philips. I have looked at both of these sets in Comet and Curry's and the Philips appears to have the edge in terms of whites ie whites are just that but on the PL1 they are slightly murky.
    On the other hand I thought the PL1 had slightly crisper edges to images.

I considered the Sony 50 Hz sets but thought the menu didn't allow much adjustment (the PL1 is a bit similar) and all Sony sets are blessed with a slight bias towards the reds which cannot be removed via the menu (FS76 is a good example - look at it side by side with a Tosh).

Decisions !

9. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered myself a PL1 today.
    I looks to me as all the new Philips sets have trouble with black bars on the sides, some even in the middle. The Sony set didnt get a very good review on http://www.homecinemachoice.com/, but the PL1 did get great on the picture side. It also got a great review on http://www.whatvideotv.com/
    I cant find anything on the JVC set, although it looked alright in the shop.

10. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    I made my initial decision to get the Panny PL4 on the reviews you mention, the picture being the same as the PL1. I found a link from the Comet site to a review of the Sony which didn't get as good a review, particularly the whites not being as white and the blacks not as black as the Panny. When I looked at the sets in Comet before buying, I found that to be the case. I just love the deep contrast range that the Panasonic has.

Dick

11. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the Panny's before I bought my Philips P+.I have to say the Panny's have a much "cleaner" picture.I think you've chosen well.

12. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI just thought i'd add my two penny's worth...

Having spent ages deciding on which 32" TV to buy my options were: Panny 32PB50 (100hz) Tosh 32ZD26 (100hz) or a 50 hz set like the Panny 32PL1 and the Tosh 32Z23 - and put up with the 50hz flicker?????

I decided to take my video in Currys, (yes video, not DVD as most TV's look good with dvd) and tested it with the above sets,
    (yeh, did feel a prat but thought S*D it i'm parting with the cash so you I want to know which is the best for me!) and noticed all the 100hz looked the same..... cr*p! well maybe thats a bit harsh but the pictures on the 50hz where much cleaner and had no digital artifacts all of it! You see 100hz do not like lower quality picture sources, they love DVD's and SKY etc and the picture quality on these sources can not really be faulted, on most 100hz, but the 50hz does both!!!! (just have to up with some times noticable the flicker, but on saying this even 100hz has some flicker sometimes!)

Anyway...I bought the Panny 32PL1 on Monday, and the picture is fantastic.
    If you like bright tubes with loads of colour available then this is the set.
    The geomatry is good too, the only scare i had was for the first 20 minutes when i switched it on i noticed small ball like areas about two inces round on the screen were over the picture, you could still see all the picture but had to look through them to see the whole thing, there were about 4 at first, then 3, then 2, then 1..... the last one was dead centre, and went from right to left across the screen and took about five minutes to work it's way across. I put the TV on sky sports for football (this shows any impurities in a TV) and watched it's progress right to left. It is hard to describe, but it looked like a two inche circle in the middle of the screen which when veiwing anything in it's path you could see bars in it, sort of like prison cell bars!, but you could still see through them, BUT!!!!! after 20minutes they went alltogether !
    And the football looked great!
    I have looked and looked for them to reappear....nothing just a brilliant picture! GREAT! (and believe me i'm fussy just ask the wife!)

The only thing i have noticed to be a pain is the following:
    1)speakers hiss very slightly when on mute (nothing really to worry about seeing as alot of TV's do this anyway)
    2) A slight hum when TeleText is on for some reason?
    :confused:
    3) slight hum/buzz from the back of the TV when watching some video's (not all) but this is SLIGHT!

All the above are not reason's to put u off this set, in general it's a fantastic set! And makes u wonder why other set's are so expensive in comparrison (100hz mainly)?
    And made me wonder "am i buying a cheaper inferior Tv to what is out there?" but i think all your paying for is the 100hz which is good, but not for all sources and not for everyone.

I must say that all the reviews i have seen gave the set's sound a slating, but when i got it home connected it to SKY on the music channel and played about with the sound settings and put it on the "music" option the sound-------IT SOUNDED BRILLIANT for saying all it has is 7watts per speaker! Very good indeed!

I bought the set for it's picture quality and LACK OF digital artifacts due to the fact its 50hz and not 100! Just clean quality images that you were meant to see!

Of corse the only down side is the 50hz flicker which you can occasionally notice, but you will more if you LOOK for it, so the answer is don't! Just watch the TV and the fabulous clean images and you will forget about the flicker.

I just need a AV system now! don't know which to go for the Pioneer 303 or the Sony 550 (although this is suppossedly lacking bass)???

13. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh nearly forgot....

the Toshiba 32Z23 (50hz) set flickered more than the Panny 32Pl1 and i also noticed the panny had a crisper cleaner picture but in favour of the tosh, it's 4.3 viewing mode the "super live" is more adjustable so you can get a well maintained ratio. but the panny is ok at this too, just not so good, but its Zoom mode is supurb!

14. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info on the PL1 - I'm also opting for this set. I agree, I have upto a grand to spend and felt a bit cheap going for the 50hz set, but I wanted a clean picture and the Panny got fabulous reviews for this. Yes, the sound may not be the best but a surround system will soon fix this (think I'm gonna go for the Acoustic Energy Aego P5 to sort out the sound - have you had a look at this?)

All the best with the system,
    JB

15. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Aego P5 is an alright system, certainly in its price bracket it has received favourable reviews. I would say if you have an existing HiFi system of any quality you'll be quite dissapointed with the Aego systems overall sound. There is a noticable hollowness in the midrange, and a metallic, tinny quality to the vocal channel. If you have existing HiFi i'd recommend considering buying an additional 4 Channel or 6 Channel amp (the Yamaha DSP-E800 is a good example) and investing in a decent centre and rears that match your existing kit, it'll sound far better.

16. J.W

J.W
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had to return two PL1's because the inside of the screeen has dark patches. This is most noticable when watching sport and the camera pans from side to side. The patches remain stationary. It's like watching TV through a dirty window. Watch out for this if you are buying one. Also, with my Sky digi-box set to RGB and Scart control on (a setting you will use) the TV clicks when changing between screen sizes. The click is very clear - sounds like a relay changing. Both TVs did this - I can't belive Panasonic have designed a TV that does this - it was very annoying. Check this out also. Maybe I was just unlucky but there is no way I would buy another of these. If you can budget upto a grand look at the Loewe Aventos, this is a quality TV.

17. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Aventos is a 100Hz set - the picture seemed very good when I auditioned one recently.

18. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen the Acoustic Energy Aego P5 JPB but will look for it now and try to find an audition. Sounds expensive?

Has it got onboard Prologic 2?

I want the Pioneer dcs 303, but have been put off because apparently, all or most pioneer dvd players display fine lines in the screen with Panny TV's when viewing a region 1 disc! (i want a multi region) but they are fine with region 2.

let me know how you get on.

thanx.

19. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, unfortunately the Aego P5 only has Pro Logic and not Pro Logic 2. I'm going to have a look at a set-up later today. I'm also considering a separates based system following what was said by Jagsta.

Have now ordered my PL1 and should take delivery early next week - can't wait!! :)

I'll let you know how the demo goes today and what separate systems they have.

Cheers and have a good weekend.
    JPB

20. harmunt

harmunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Comically enough, ALL of the problems that you encountered with the PL1, I encountered with THREE Loewe Aventos sets.

Poor sets IMHO.